Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car). >

XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).

XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).

Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default XO1 fighter. Building a missile *** VIDEOS***

I'm in the process of building a speed machine. I'll be starting with the Ofna 1/8 chassis. Updated front suspension and 6s. I haven't decided on tires yet, so will be testing with the ones that came on the roller.

Shown in the pictures are a few of the things I've gotten already:
Motor, esc and body. Some of you may be able to tell what body I got but I won't be showing until I paint it.

Please stay tuned for updates, testing and videos!

Any tips or tricks also welcome.
Attached Thumbnails XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).-14061379872221.jpg   XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).-14061379935022.jpg   XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).-14061379787050.jpg   XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).-14061379995773.jpg   XO1 fighter. Building a missile (not really, just a fast car).-14061380124555.jpg  

Last edited by jrowles91; 09-09-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Just waiting on my 6s lipos to arrive as well as my hub to allow for the revo spurs. Right now the car is running 48/16. On 5s it still boogies but not quite enough!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

So I have just received all my parts. I'm a little busy at the moment but keep posted for my first set of testing videos!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

Some preliminary testing I did. Didn't end so well as I had some equipment failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLd5xAXfnsY
Old 08-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know you're just testing, but you'd get much better stability if you ran with the body.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by samnelso
I know you're just testing, but you'd get much better stability if you ran with the body.
I'm actually working on the body today! Even without it though I was surprised at its stability. But then again I only did 61 before losing control lol
Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

I hope that you weren't going 61mph on the residential street in your linked video. Not only is that foolish (and probably illegal...can you drive your 1:1 that fast on that street?), it is also very dangerous to your neighbors. Imagine if a person or small animal stepped out in front of anything going that fast. Please find an isolated or controlled area to do any type of "speed run".

Also, please use a failsafe on your electronics. If for some reason you lose radio signal, you want the car to stop. You don't want it to become an uncontrolled missile.

Now that I've gotten my PSA out of the way, testing at that speed without a body will only prove that your electronics can handle the load. Without the body, you will have no way to know exactly how the chassis will actually perform. My best advice is to start out with plenty of ride height to prevent bottoming out, which will cause you to lose control of the car.

Some more advice is to make sure that the tires don't rub the body. The obvious place they rub is around the outside of the wheel openings. But you also have to make sure that the up travel of the suspension doesn't cause the wheel to rub the inside/top of the wheel wells. This will cause a car to spin out or in extreme cases flip over.

As far as bodies go, a rear wing with a lot of rake or downforce is actually bad at high speeds. Too much rear downforce on an r/c car at high speeds can cause the front end to lift and create a blow-over. Also you want to make sure your rear wing has large side dams to help keep the car going in a straight line should the rear end get sideways.

I should also mention tires need extra maintenance at high speeds. A partially unglued tire or out of balance tire will make it almost impossible to control a car at high speeds. Also unbelted tires will balloon up and rub on the body, which will cause a loss of control.

FYI: I experienced or witnessed all of these issues while racing at the Indianapolis Major Taylor Velodrome. Our speed runs were races where some classes averaged 60mph/lap for a 4 minute run.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks IndyRC for the guidance. This was the first time I turned the car on after getting everything installed. It's already sitting pretty high right now. I'm working on the body today actually so the next test will be with that and 6s. I won't be running a rear spoiler but I am trying to figure out the side dams and where to place them.

Although I don't believe these tires are belted they are very stiff. I have a set of GRP belted tires sitting in a box on my dresser right now. I just didn't want to use them as I didn't feel I would get to the speeds where they are necessary yet.

Stay tuned for next weeks attempt (in a more secluded area )
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Oh, I forgot to say good luck on your efforts.

The one thing everyone learns who has run r/c cars at high speeds is that 50mph is easy to get to/control. 60mph isn't that hard either. But once you start getting over that, every little thing seems to become a major hurdle.

Coincidentally, someone just created a thread in the on-road forum about their Traxxas X0-1. They posted a video about their own efforts. One of the things the individual mentioned was their issues with an unglued tire.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you!

Yeah fastest I've been is 73 and even at that it's a big difference but that was in a Traxxas Slash with stock tires. This should be much easier to handle.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Had a big crash today. I think I'll need to send off my esc. Ran 6s today and it's another animal! Also had a good run yesterday but still on 5s. Up'd my last fun by about 33%. Stay tuned for the video.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Purchased some stiffer rear springs and thicker shock oil to limit squat which is raising my front end. Also going to re build a better front splitter.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys, heres my last and fastest pass before my wreck (end of video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCluEqtW0EE