Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring Car Springs:

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Touring Car Springs:

Hi, I wanted to start this thread as I would like to get more information on what all the different manufactures springs are like.

So far I've picked up that Tamiya springs are the most progressive and work well on carpet, and HPI are the opposite, linear and best suited to tarmac.( Rhinhard used them at worlds??? HPI silver all round?)

But what about the rest, has any one tested them? AE drivers seem to stick to AE springs no matter what the surface, are they linear or progressive?

Xray drivers some times use HPI springs, even on carpet???

Hope this generates some discussion and gives some tuning options,

cheers
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

All the current springs are wound linear.

People choose the HPI springs over the Tamiya springs because of the "feel" on the track, it's a misconception to say they are progressive. The HPI range has much finer steps between rates than the Tamiya range and also run a bit stiffer.

Petit RC have a fairly exhaustive spring chart for reference.

You can be fast on any spring (assuming they are a good basic quality), just select the right rates and dimensions to give the handling balance you want and to fit the shocks.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

how about lengths of the different brands of springs?
The old yokomos were 22mm long. The newer ones are 24.5mm i think.
I would be interested to find 20mm and below length springs.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Initiate

sosidge, Do you have a link to said chart?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The charts are here, touring car is specifically the 3rd bullet down:

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/Univ...pringChart.htm

Personally I feel the HPI and Hara springs feel the same on the track, from linger:

Originally Posted by linger
After sitting on my desk for a year - I finally got around to measuring the Hara Springs. I measured two springs and took an average.
I'm impressed - these spring actually measure very close to the rating on the package - that's rare in the RC world.
The graphs show that the springs are completely linear (with best fit R squared value between 0.9988 and 1.0000 for you technical types).
The measurement was done with a Chatillon 10 lb load cell and a test stand with accuracy within .001".

Hara Springs
66961 Yellow
published = 12.88, measured = 12.97
66962 Silver
published = 14.00, measured = 14.37
66963 Black
published = 15.12, measured = 15.44
66964 Purple
published = 16.24, measured = 16.41
66965 Pink
published = 17.36, measured = 17.57
Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
All the current springs are wound linear.

People choose the HPI springs over the Tamiya springs because of the "feel" on the track, it's a misconception to say they are progressive. The HPI range has much finer steps between rates than the Tamiya range and also run a bit stiffer.

Petit RC have a fairly exhaustive spring chart for reference.

You can be fast on any spring (assuming they are a good basic quality), just select the right rates and dimensions to give the handling balance you want and to fit the shocks.
Ummm, how would you know if they're linear progression by only measuring rate at one compression depth?

Answer: You don't know

There's a lot more to spring progression than simply saying "all springs are wound linear". What you mean to say is the latest springs have linear coil spacing. Saying they're all wound linear is false. ALL springs are progressive. But some have a load curve and some load on a more linear progression.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
Ummm, how would you know if they're linear progression by only measuring rate at one compression depth?

Answer: You don't know

There's a lot more to spring progression than simply saying "all springs are wound linear". What you mean to say is the latest springs have linear coil spacing. Saying they're all wound linear is false. ALL springs are progressive. But some have a load curve and some load on a more linear progression.
To further add to that... The number of coils basically dictates how "progressive" the spring is. When comparing springs of the same (or similar rate) the spring with less coils will be more progressive.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Addict

I don't want to be acting like I know a lot about springs (because I don't), but I can tell you this: My 417 transformed when changing from Tamiya springs to HPI springs (on asphalt). The car was so much better to drive!

I would still choose Tamiya springs on carpet, but for asphalt go for HPI Silvers all around.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Initiate

really Ash-pelt and carpet,Regardless..It should not matter,The spring might work a little bouncer on Ash-Pelt but really not much difference between the two.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
I don't want to be acting like I know a lot about springs (because I don't), but I can tell you this: My 417 transformed when changing from Tamiya springs to HPI springs (on asphalt). The car was so much better to drive!

I would still choose Tamiya springs on carpet, but for asphalt go for HPI Silvers all around.
I have heard that same thing from so many drivers that I would accept it as fact.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

What about the Xray springs compared to the HPI-springs? How do they behave compared to each other?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i drive tcx but i use xray springs,
hot bodies pink springs are out of stock anywhere
Old 09-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I need opinions on touring car springs for med grip carpet racing for VTA. Will be using a Tamiya 418. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

this might help. for vta run in the 15-16 lb range in front and 13-14 range in the rear. hope this helps.

i run vta only.

for med grip i would suggest 15 ish front and 13 ish in back. i have the rsd carpet spring kit and they are good springs. i run the orange one in front and the blue in the back. car is pretty hooked up tc 6.1 but that car my never hit carpet by me again as now i run a arc r10 2015. have not been on carpet yet with it.
Attached Thumbnails Touring Car Springs:-rsd_universal_spring_chart.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thank you