R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default How Long Will CRC carpet last?

How long does CRC carpet last?
I know the big events in the US use it, but how does it cope with being rolled out time after time and when left in permanent installations?

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk

Last edited by Skiddins; 09-06-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

My local track uses CRC "Daytona" carpet. It was laid down in 2004 and have been using it ever since. We used Jack the Gripper only up until a couple years ago when we switched to SXT. Our carpet has held up remarkably well for its age and amount of use. I'm not sure you'd get the longevity out of more recent versions of carpet though.
RobS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The carpet is not directional, it is made out of pressed fibers, so technically as long as the fibers are still thick enough, it should be good.

Our track is only a year old. The only issue we have is with the seams coming up every so often. As for wear, it is minimal. I know of places that go well beyond 10 years and still use it.

The issue I can see come up is tracks getting saturated with tire gunk. That can technically make it go bad if not managed correctly. I think this may be why clubs switch out their carpet every so often.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think hte biggest factor is how it is installed. We installed CRC Ozite in our LHS as a permanent track. It has been glued down to the concrete for about 9 years. The seams are now peeling up and there are lots of "divots" from all kinds of stuff from helis crashing to sharp body posts to the weird stuff that I see every Sunday when our track is unsupervised. It also "bubbled" in a few palces where the heavy 2x4's on teh track couploed with the big hits and velcro attaching them to carpet stretched the carpet and pulled it from the glue. We also run only Paragon black can with I believe has a lacquer thinner type base as opposed to the other odorless sauces witch are possible naptha/camp fuel based. I would talk to Dirla or Drew Ellis and see how they feel their installations are holding up. I think both of them have their tracks seamed with the 3m tape used in Vegas along with a wooden sub floor and SXT. I can't remember if the tape adheres to the wood or not, but I suspect their circumstances would more closely match yours in the UK. Were prepping to move to a new building with our track so I have been trying to learn all the possibilitis and ins and outs of carpet installation so we can do it right the first time and make it last another 10 years. LMK if you wanna talk more. I'll be in Tampa. Come say hi!

AWD
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Im not sure really how long carpet is supposto last or even if their is a standard or not. But I'm thinking our carpet has has alot of wear since new in 08. Traction don't seem to be down or anything by no means. But thinking from running a layout for long time spans and not having carpet glued down at all it makes carpet bubble up and stretch in the narrow high traffic areas. But as Andrew said, this is how all the big races build their tracks into the hotels. And also feel the rubber tire has took a tole on the carpet more so than foam tires did in the past now to add in the chassis dragging in the corners makes for even more wear
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ours has been done since 2006 and will be replaced in November.

I prefer the full field glue method to minimize the "bubbles" from forming. We do see the same issue of "bubbling" in certain spots with velcro'd clik trak.

It has seen better days, but is by no means garbage contradictory to what some may say.

I do agree, that when we made the switch from open sauce to SXT/LGC/ Sticky Fingers, it has been harder to keep the "gunk" to a minimum without steam cleaning to remove the naptha base.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Eric, for what it's worth, we have been doing some tire testing lately and we have come across a couple of issues with the "gunk/goop/groove" I don't think this is traction additive building up on the track, but rather silicone from Jaco/Sweep/Gravity type carpet tires.

It seems the softer high silicone content tires will do this worse than others.

We have ran SXT since we started and we have run 3 types of tires so far on the track.

When we first started, we used Sorex 28JB pre mounts. The goop on the track built up but it was minimal. Grip was great when the weather was cool. The Sorex is a bit of a hybrid silicone/ rubber tire, with perhaps lower silicone level than the popular Carpet tires in the USA. In May we switched to Panaracer 28CP. This is a VERY different tire. It actually grains and wears like rubber tires usually wear on asphalt. This kept the track very clean, the groove on the track was still present, but it was a rubber groove. Whenever there was build up on the chassis, it was a rubber build up, not very oily. Foam tires were not affected by this type of groove and the bite was fantastic for the foam cars.

Recently, we have switched to Jaco 28 (green). The grip was gotten astronomical for the sedans, but the foam cars are getting a lot of pick up. The groove has gotten much darker and the texture of it is now "slimey" . We have always used SXT, so the texture of the goop cannot be additive related as much as people have thought in the past.

I have background racing Mini-Zs and when we used to race carpet, we used to use silicone tires. These tires would take a while to form a groove on the track but it was very similar to the groove on 10th scale tracks. We never used additive on the Mini-z cars, so the groove was entirely dependent on the tire wear. Whenever this groove built up, the grip was very, very high.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Eric, for what it's worth, we have been doing some tire testing lately and we have come across a couple of issues with the "gunk/goop/groove" I don't think this is traction additive building up on the track, but rather silicone from Jaco/Sweep/Gravity type carpet tires.

It seems the softer high silicone content tires will do this worse than others.

We have ran SXT since we started and we have run 3 types of tires so far on the track.

When we first started, we used Sorex 28JB pre mounts. The goop on the track built up but it was minimal. Grip was great when the weather was cool. The Sorex is a bit of a hybrid silicone/ rubber tire, with perhaps lower silicone level than the popular Carpet tires in the USA. In May we switched to Panaracer 28CP. This is a VERY different tire. It actually grains and wears like rubber tires usually wear on asphalt. This kept the track very clean, the groove on the track was still present, but it was a rubber groove. Whenever there was build up on the chassis, it was a rubber build up, not very oily. Foam tires were not affected by this type of groove and the bite was fantastic for the foam cars.

Recently, we have switched to Jaco 28 (green). The grip was gotten astronomical for the sedans, but the foam cars are getting a lot of pick up. The groove has gotten much darker and the texture of it is now "slimey" . We have always used SXT, so the texture of the goop cannot be additive related as much as people have thought in the past.

I have background racing Mini-Zs and when we used to race carpet, we used to use silicone tires. These tires would take a while to form a groove on the track but it was very similar to the groove on 10th scale tracks. We never used additive on the Mini-z cars, so the groove was entirely dependent on the tire wear. Whenever this groove built up, the grip was very, very high.
Thank You for the insight, much appreciated