R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Default New to RC. TC4 vs Apex?

Hello everyone im new to this rc thing and I was looking to buy my first touring car just to mess around with in parking lots. I want something that I can mod, something that Is fairly quick and trying to stay under 350 if possible. I know this hobby is not cheap but for now my budget is around 300-350. I was looking at a discontinued team associated tc4 RTR at my local hobby shop and also a Team associated apex RTR. can anybody tell me which is the better car? if need be I don't mind building my own with the team associated club car chasis? I just want a decent car that is reliable,quick, and not to expensive. hobby shop said I should get a t-associated.any thoughts?
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 402
Default

TC4 for sure between the two. It is still a competitive chassis in VTA and USGT classes. The APEX was never really meant to be a racing kit. You could also get a TC4 club racer for $150, Hobbywing juststock ESC $55, Turnigy trackstar motor $35, Turnigy Lipo $30, Gravity USGT tires $20, a body of your choice $25, radio and receiver like the Airtronics MX-V $95 and a servo $20-$50. Total cost of $430-$460 to have a race ready car with all brand new stuff. So depending what the RTR car comes with and what class you want to race it might be cheaper in the long run not to get the RTR of you ever plan to race instead of just parking lot bashing. You can always start with the RTR and upgrade when you want later.
avink007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewXGen View Post
Hello everyone im new to this rc thing and I was looking to buy my first touring car just to mess around with in parking lots. I want something that I can mod, something that Is fairly quick and trying to stay under 350 if possible. I know this hobby is not cheap but for now my budget is around 300-350. I was looking at a discontinued team associated tc4 RTR at my local hobby shop and also a Team associated apex RTR. can anybody tell me which is the better car? if need be I don't mind building my own with the team associated club car chasis? I just want a decent car that is reliable,quick, and not to expensive. hobby shop said I should get a t-associated.any thoughts?
If you are simply playing around in a parking lot and your idea of mods is looking for more speed, I would go with the Apex. It has a 2.4 radio and will accept standard wheels and tires so you can upgrade for more traction when you increase power. Motors and batteries that can achieve high speeds can be installed.

If you plan to race, the TC4 is a race car and you will achieve better performance from it and there is a greater selection of hop ups which improve handling. The discontinued RTR does not come with a 2.4 radio so you might run into some problems with interference and it uses an older brushed power system which you will want to upgrade at your first chance.

The TC4 Club Racer comes with no electronics and the example above gives you an idea of how to make a competition ready vehicle that is completely legal for racing.

Since you are new you have to realize that RC Cars and RC Racing, in my opinion, are two completely separate hobbies. In most cases cars designed and equipped for playing around or bashing (as it is called) are not suitable in a racing situation. And cars and electronics designed for racing can be too fragile for playing around which makes them an unsuitable option.

I would go with the Apex for playing around and if at some point to want to compete you can step up top something competition oriented like the TC4 or better.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
If you are simply playing around in a parking lot and your idea of mods is looking for more speed, I would go with the Apex. It has a 2.4 radio and will accept standard wheels and tires so you can upgrade for more traction when you increase power. Motors and batteries that can achieve high speeds can be installed.

If you plan to race, the TC4 is a race car and you will achieve better performance from it and there is a greater selection of hop ups which improve handling. The discontinued RTR does not come with a 2.4 radio so you might run into some problems with interference and it uses an older brushed power system which you will want to upgrade at your first chance.

The TC4 Club Racer comes with no electronics and the example above gives you an idea of how to make a competition ready vehicle that is completely legal for racing.

Since you are new you have to realize that RC Cars and RC Racing, in my opinion, are two completely separate hobbies. In most cases cars designed and equipped for playing around or bashing (as it is called) are not suitable in a racing situation. And cars and electronics designed for racing can be too fragile for playing around which makes them an unsuitable option.

I would go with the Apex for playing around and if at some point to want to compete you can step up top something competition oriented like the TC4 or better.
I just want to drag race in straight lines with friends and be quick. I dont plan on doing any circuit tracks or anything just need something to play with and be fast when drag racing. Thanks guys for the replies. Im really thinking about building one from a chasis now
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 497
Default

Are you sure you want a touring car. Fast in a straight line and just something to have fun with sounds like you should be looking at a traxxas rustler. If your decided on a tc why not get an older chassis like a xray t2 or t3 on ebay r2r.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewXGen View Post
I just want to drag race in straight lines with friends and be quick. I dont plan on doing any circuit tracks or anything just need something to play with and be fast when drag racing. Thanks guys for the replies. Im really thinking about building one from a chasis now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
Are you sure you want a touring car. Fast in a straight line and just something to have fun with sounds like you should be looking at a traxxas rustler. If your decided on a tc why not get an older chassis like a xray t2 or t3 on ebay r2r.
Another "on-road" option would be something like the Team Associated Pro Rally. It may soak up uneven parking lot surfaces better than a TC and is capable of similar top speeds. It is basically a scaled up shaft drive TC.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Microtome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 127
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Fun Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Another "on-road" option would be something like the Team Associated Pro Rally. It may soak up uneven parking lot surfaces better than a TC and is capable of similar top speeds. It is basically a scaled up shaft drive TC.
Thanks for that, never seen these before. I loved the little video they had on their product page. I would have liked to see more of the car chassis itself, but all the rally drifting was neat too.
__________________
www.GoodentiteRacing.com
Microtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 497
Default

You could also look at the new losi 8ight mini truggy. It's about the size of a touring car and has 12 mm hex which gives you the option to run tons of types of on road or offroad tires. $280 rtr. I'm about to buy one myself.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Default

I like the cars better than the trucks thats why I wanted a touring. I picked up a TC4 RTR kit and I will slowly upgrade it with time I know its a older model but I didnt want to spend alot right now and the apex wasnt in stock at my local hobby shop plus they have alot of available parts for the tc4 in stock. I am going to buy a New transmitter and receiver when im able to does anyone have any advice on what to use? Found a 2.4ghz xp3 ss for 45 for the tx and rx is that decent? I will also upgrade motor later but for now it will be stock car. Also whats a decent battery/charger combo for a stock tc4?
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
Are you sure you want a touring car. Fast in a straight line and just something to have fun with sounds like you should be looking at a traxxas rustler. If your decided on a tc why not get an older chassis like a xray t2 or t3 on ebay r2r.
Honestly didnt even think about ebay... I wanted something brand new anyway. Few people told me to get the tc4 in the hobby shop. Said it was a good car so I just bought it.
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewXGen View Post
I like the cars better than the trucks thats why I wanted a touring. I picked up a TC4 RTR kit and I will slowly upgrade it with time I know its a older model but I didnt want to spend alot right now and the apex wasnt in stock at my local hobby shop plus they have alot of available parts for the tc4 in stock. I am going to buy a New transmitter and receiver when im able to does anyone have any advice on what to use? Found a 2.4ghz xp3 ss for 45 for the tx and rx is that decent? I will also upgrade motor later but for now it will be stock car. Also whats a decent battery/charger combo for a stock tc4?
You said you were new to rc so I wasn't sure if you knew you wanted a car or just something that's capable onroad.
As far as the rx/TX I just got a radiolink rc3s and its been great so far. For $50 it's a great option.
Is your motor brushed or brushless? If it's brushed stick to the nimh Batts and wall charger for now. If it's brushless measure your battery compartment and go on hobbking.com and order the largest 2s battery that will fit (zippy or nano tech will do). For the charger I would get the accucel 6 from that same site along with a 6 amp power source to run it.

The tc4 is still a capable chassis for club racing if you decide to give that a go. I still race an hpi pro3 that came out around the same time in 17.5. I'm nowhere near being competitive but let's just say it's not the cars fault.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
You said you were new to rc so I wasn't sure if you knew you wanted a car or just something that's capable onroad.
As far as the rx/TX I just got a radiolink rc3s and its been great so far. For $50 it's a great option.
Is your motor brushed or brushless? If it's brushed stick to the nimh Batts and wall charger for now. If it's brushless measure your battery compartment and go on hobbking.com and order the largest 2s battery that will fit (zippy or nano tech will do). For the charger I would get the accucel 6 from that same site along with a 6 amp power source to run it.

The tc4 is still a capable chassis for club racing if you decide to give that a go. I still race an hpi pro3 that came out around the same time in 17.5. I'm nowhere near being competitive but let's just say it's not the cars fault.
I am new just been doing alot of research and figured the tc4 would be best for me. Just bought some cheap dynarex 3000mah battery for now. I appreciate everyones advice. Thank you
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:29 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net