R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

The TB-02 has a somewhat sealed drivetrain, so is it fair to assume it may be a better choice for parking lot driving? Less chance of stones interfering with the drivetrain?
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

I thought so at first too, but the only problem I've had with stones is on my TB-02.. one got stuck between the shaft and the motor mount, burned the motor out before I knew what was happening.. haven't had a prob with my TA05, other than a bit of the coating coming off of the pinion from dirt and the like.. Being uncovered also means the stones can escape easier too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6
The TB-02 has a somewhat sealed drivetrain, so is it fair to assume it may be a better choice for parking lot driving? Less chance of stones interfering with the drivetrain?
Old 09-10-2005, 03:58 AM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD2
The TA-05 looks great for sure!! But I'm kind of taking a liking to the TB-02. Some thing about a shaft driven car.

PD2

Not a good choice...Shaft cars are not very forgiving.Once you have a crash head on and the bevel gears in the bulk head will strip one or few teeth.So if you're a beginner,I would recommmand the TA05.Very good car.And the TB02 is an old car.The TA05 is the LATEST from the Tamiya stable.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:12 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Go with the TA-05, it will doing anything and everything you can ask for. I had a TB-02 and although it's a good car it is very limited, due to it's fixed gear mesh positions it is VERY hard to find the right gearing for it. It can't be geared low enough to be competitive in 540 and is hard to gear correctly in Stock. I'd go with the TA-05. It's the newest from the Tamiya stable and seems like a winner. It will do anything from 540 to mod. Shaft drive vs Belt drive is nothing really and you will probably break less belts than you will strip crown gears. The enclosed spur and pinion isn't that great either, there's a hole in the back around the shaft which lets stones in and once they are in there they bounce around until they get jammed.

Go with the TA-05 mate, you won't be disapointed.
pyrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #35
PD2
Tech Master

Wow! Thanks for the response guys! I guess I was thinking that the closest thing to a 1/10 TC that I have raced/run is my XRAY M18 which is shaft driven. It has been a great little 18th scale racer and I never had any issues - of course, we race on RCP tracks indoors with them where the worst thing is hitting a foam rail.

On the TA-05, are they about to come out with more than the two kit versions that are available today? Looks like you either get the Ferrari or the NSX, right?

I'm not 100% sure yet, but yeah, from a belt driven car perspective and inexpensive it looks like the TA-05 is a good choice.

Is it true what they say that Tamiya's, even with the stock gear, are near bulletproof? What do you normally have to change/upgrade to make the car more solid?

Thanks again for all of the input and help!
PD2
PD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Well, nothing's bulletproof, but I myself have yet to go through an upright or arm through my whole first racing season, but the second time my friend drove the TB-02 I sold him, he smashed a wall and sheared off both top and bottom kingpins of the upright.. everything else was fine, though...

So, it's pretty well proven to be very durable. You can purchase hardened arms and uprights..
53427 TA04 Hard suspension arm
53579 TA04 Hard Front Upright
53428 TA04 Hard Rear Upright
These are still plastic, but are reinforced with durable fibres to make them stronger.

Between the F430 and NSX, I'd take the NSX. It's the 2005 version, and is the most popular among Tamiya bodies to be competitive, next to the Subaru B4... I've heard mixed reviews with the Ferrari, not enough downforce at the front end for grip.

Also, If you have a one-way, whacking a board with a belt car is much more forgiving than the shaft of the TB-02, in my experience. I've been through tons of crown gears from that.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #37
PD2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Well, nothing's bulletproof, but I myself have yet to go through an upright or arm through my whole first racing season, but the second time my friend drove the TB-02 I sold him, he smashed a wall and sheared off both top and bottom kingpins of the upright.. everything else was fine, though...

So, it's pretty well proven to be very durable. You can purchase hardened arms and uprights..
53427 TA04 Hard suspension arm
53579 TA04 Hard Front Upright
53428 TA04 Hard Rear Upright
These are still plastic, but are reinforced with durable fibres to make them stronger.
I agree - any RC place into the right condition, regardless of reinforcements will crack or break under pressure. Don't belive it, just run ANY RC into a brick wall and let me know what happens.

But what I'm talking about is that as proven brands/chassis' I have seen each RC have their own "trick" or things that have to be replaced immediately when you buy one. For example, since I run off road most of my off road RC's are Losi. Losi has a poor rear pivot block so usually the first thing you do is replace it with a Trinity Aluminum block to prevent that accident or breakage in a race.

The question is, does Tamiya, in general and/or specific to the TA kit, have any of these sorts of things that are "must replace" type items?

Thanks for the info and feedback!
PD2
Old 09-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Ah, so more like design flaws and such.. nope, not with the TA05 where I can really say, "I wish they would replace part X with a better one!". I know with the TB-02 you NEEDED to replace the drive shaft with the lightweight one which is 2mm longer, because the original tended to grind out the crown gears on hard hits since it only partially connected into the gear.

I guess the only thing for the TA05 would be if you run 19T or especially mod motors, you'll want to replace the diff cups with the high precision ones, since they have the reinforced rings, and the originals might be too weak.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:32 AM   #39
PD2
Tech Master

AH! So what they say about Tamiya being a very strong car stock is true then. You can buy kits and not have to worry too much about replacing weak parts or things that were not designed right. VERY good!

I sure do appreciate all the help and feedback on this subject. It has helped me out a lot. I guess it is fairly clear that you cannot go wrong with the TA-05.

Thanks again for all the input and help!
PD2
Old 09-11-2005, 04:33 AM   #40
PD2
Tech Master

OH! One last thing - other than a LHS that would carry Tamiya, where is the best place to buy kits and parts on-line? Who carries the best selection or most stock of stuff at a good price?

Thanks!
PD2
Old 09-13-2005, 04:36 AM   #41
PD2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD2
OH! One last thing - other than a LHS that would carry Tamiya, where is the best place to buy kits and parts on-line? Who carries the best selection or most stock of stuff at a good price?

Thanks!
PD2
In addition to this question, can you guys tell me how the TA-04 is? I may have a good deal lined up on one and wanted to see what the feedback was on the previous model.

Thanks!
PD2
Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #42
Tech Regular

For parts online
www.speedtechrc.com
RCChamp ( see retail forums )
www.precisionrc.com

TAO4 is a good car and also made in a TRF version so plenty good stuff around for it. The TRF414 version was superseded by the TRF415.

Check out the TRF414 forum for info
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #43
PD2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedeloop
For parts online
www.speedtechrc.com
RCChamp ( see retail forums )
www.precisionrc.com

TAO4 is a good car and also made in a TRF version so plenty good stuff around for it. The TRF414 version was superseded by the TRF415.

Check out the TRF414 forum for info
Thanks for links! I appreciate that!

This TA-04 I'm looking at needs servo mounts, spur gear and pinion, but the guy is saying not to mess with the Tamiya Spur gears and go for a 64P spur - questions I have are where do I get the servo mounts (did not see them on the sites you listed) and which manufacturer's spur will work on the TA-04? I don't wanna pick the car up and not be able to find parts that I need to get it running and to support it.

Thanks again for the help!!
PD2
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #44
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I run the ta04-trf. Get that car if you are looking at the Ta04. It comes with everything, almost no upgrades necessary.

Run a tamiya spur with a 64p pinion. I am running it, and it works great.

My suggestion is really... to get the TRF version if you are looking at a ta04.
Because the money u spend upgrading other ta04s will cost more than just buying a trf version of it.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #45
PD2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I run the ta04-trf. Get that car if you are looking at the Ta04. It comes with everything, almost no upgrades necessary.

Run a tamiya spur with a 64p pinion. I am running it, and it works great.

My suggestion is really... to get the TRF version if you are looking at a ta04.
Because the money u spend upgrading other ta04s will cost more than just buying a trf version of it.
I gotcha, but this happens to be used roller that is for sale not a new kit. So in that case it is missing the above items, that I know of. My biggest issue is getting an older version car and not having the parts support that I need.

What about the steering servo mount/stay? Where could I find that for the TA-04?

Thanks for your input too!
PD2