R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
PD2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf racer
If i was a local club driver,didnt want much flash,didnt want to fork out a hell of a lot money,but was quite upgradable to a higher level,i would go for the TA05 range.
now i havenmt driven one,or even seen one in the flesh,but i heard that against other cars,its very competitve.
i THINK it takes TRF415 damper mounts,with TBEVO4 carbon fibre bumper plate,TRF flourine dampers,springs etc.
its probably the most ugradable car,with the highest performance level then any of the cars i have listed before.[WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LATEST TRF AND TBEVO4 RANGE].
i would definetly think about investing in this if that what i wanted,a cheap,high perfornmance car which is upgradable.
Thanks for the suggestion. Kind of looks like the best option and it has a wide variety of kits with pricing too. I'll have to think about it, but just keep hearing great things with the Tamiya line - virtually indestructable is what I've heard.

Thanks so much for the feedback and help!
PD2
PD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

TT01s have cheap upgrades though, like for example, ther TL01 bearing kit is like 80$ canadian (tamiya... new) and the TT01 one is 30$... I dont know about the rest but i own both TT and TL01s and the TL01 is more a play-around car, the TT01 can do some racing... it tends to break more too... screws strip things and its very annoying...
commanderkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

The only issues with the TL/TT-01 is that they are very restricted with the range of gear ratios you can run in them, compared to the TA04/05 and TB02. So if you want to race at your local club, the TA05 or TB02 would be the better cars to go for.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #19
PD2
Tech Master

Thanks guys! You have been extremely helpfull in clarifying the Tamiya world to me! Unlike some of the other RC companies that only give you one car with two or three options, Tamiya has soooo many different lines that its like trying to figure out what kind of coffee combo to get at Starbucks! LOL!!

Thanks again for the help!!
PD2
Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #20
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Yea, I apologize for the previous misinformation. The TA03,TA04,TA05 are belt driven. My bad.

my $0.02s would be, if you are new to this, try a ta05. its a great learning car. its tamiya's newest line, lots of racers with your car, so you won't be left out.

But if you are backed by lots of skill and cash on hand, and you want top of the line competitiveness, then trf series all the way.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #21
Tech Master

Love those Tamiya cars.Cause parts can be interchangable on most of the cars.Thats good when you have 2 or more cars.They share the same parts,so need not stock up so much parts for different cars...

On the up side,tamiya are always doing R & D to update their cars so its gets faster around the track.

The downside is that you got to purchase the new updated parts,which is quite frequently.It like only not long ago I had a standard 415,then the LW arms came along,then its like only yesterday I had my 415MS,and next month I'm awaiting arrival of the 415MSX conversion kit....Which is going to make another hole to go along with the more holes in my pocket ....
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C

The downside is that you got to purchase the new updated parts,which is quite frequently.It like only not long ago I had a standard 415,then the LW arms came along,then its like only yesterday I had my 415MS,and next month I'm awaiting arrival of the 415MSX conversion kit....Which is going to make another hole to go along with the more holes in my pocket ....
Thats both the upside and d0wnside to owning tamiya.
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

For playing around, the TT-01 is a great car. I would consider the TT-01R, though, as its upgrades (especially bearings, metal wishbones, oil shocks and drive shaft) are a great improvement over the stock one, much more than the TB-02R is to the TB-02, I think.

But, as said before, competitively, the TB-02 or the TA04 and TA05 (my current fav) are great starting cars for serious racing, then the TRF and Evo series are the next plateau.

There's a car for everyone with Tamiya.. I still love my M04!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:52 AM   #24
PD2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz

There's a car for everyone with Tamiya.. I still love my M04!
OK? What's an M04? Did not see that one.

PD2
Old 09-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Oh, it's the M-chassis family, probably stands for "Mini", just as the T in the other cars likely stand for Touring. They're rear or front wheel drive only, are a bit smaller than 1/10 touring cars, and so are the bodies they typically use for it.

You'll typically find a Mini Cooper or BMW Mini on M-03 series cars (front wheel drive), and other rear-wheel drive cars like the Alfa Romeo or Porsche on the M-04 series.

People mainly use them for the TCS series, but also have club races for groups large enough. They're limited in gearing, you usually don't put any more than a silver can motor in it, and they have a high centre of gravity, but that makes it all the more fun. You need to learn throttle control and smooth curves in order not to spin out or tip over, unlike low-riding touring cars. It's mostly about driving skill than equipment.

They do seem to have limited use, but are great cars just for running around, and take little money to hop up. All I can say is they're fun little cars, not necessarily for competitive racing.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #26
PD2
Tech Master

AH!!! They are probably 1/12 scale touring cars then. XRAY and a few others make them too. Gotcha. Doubt they are 1/18 scale cause I have not seen any one with those except XRAY, HPI and BRP.

That's cool though! Thanks for that tid bit of additional class information.

PD2
Old 09-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD2
AH!!! They are probably 1/12 scale touring cars then. XRAY and a few others make them too. Gotcha. Doubt they are 1/18 scale cause I have not seen any one with those except XRAY, HPI and BRP.

That's cool though! Thanks for that tid bit of additional class information.

PD2
Nah they both 1/10th scale

m-03 is the rover mini cooper
m-04 is the new shape BMW mini( an use other bodies)

We race the m-03 in NZ with can motors and no hopups allowed apart from sway bars, bearings and tire choice.
Its a great class for close competitive racing and really punishes you for making mistakes. Not to mention its hilarius because we dont take it too seriously.
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #28
PD2
Tech Master

OH! OK. Huh? Wonder what's so mini about them then? hahahaha

Sounds like a fun class! We just got an on-road track back but it is all outside - nothing indoors. We need an indoor one since we have the opposite issue Northerners do - heat and lots of it!

The new track is big and definitely a nice facility! Going to be the spot for 2Cool Racing Team's 2006 Charity race. Gonna be a fun time!!

Thanks again for the clarifications!
PD2
Old 09-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

After seeing the TA-05 in person at the TCS finals, that is a nice car. For a cheap car it looks solid and the stock drive train is super free. Definitely a race capable car.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #30
PD2
Tech Master

The TA-05 looks great for sure!! But I'm kind of taking a liking to the TB-02. Some thing about a shaft driven car.

PD2