Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ZAPPING MAGNETS TO INCREASE TIMING >

ZAPPING MAGNETS TO INCREASE TIMING

ZAPPING MAGNETS TO INCREASE TIMING

Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Warner
Yeah.... I zapped my shocks last week, and man o' man what a difference!! That baby handles like it's electrifiyed...
I zapped my zapper last week. It really improves the zapping power. Only problem is that it zapped negative timing in my positive timing zapper. Actually, it's a prototype zapper. It's called the zippy positive-negative zapped zapper. I wonder who came up with the word zap?

Fella's, don't worry about zapping your motors. The big motor tuners have chimed in and said it's pointless. What's there to argue about?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

As they say..... been there, done that. The only advantage I ever found was if you had an old tired worn out motor, zapping it help it out somewhat. Other than that, it's a waste of time and money.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Fella's, don't worry about zapping your motors. The big motor tuners have chimed in and said it's pointless. What's there to argue about?
Actually they stated it doesn't help to zap your magnets off center in attempt to trick the motor into thinking its timing has been advanced.

Zapping magnets centered however....
Old 09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Its pointles to Zap to increase the timing. However its not pointless to Zap your Magnets
Old 09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Stock is stock and all it should really be about is gearing and driving, that's all you need. Zapping is just adding another element that might turn on you. I see no need, no offense to any one just my thoughts.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
I zapped my zapper last week. It really improves the zapping power. Only problem is that it zapped negative timing in my positive timing zapper. Actually, it's a prototype zapper. It's called the zippy positive-negative zapped zapper. I wonder who came up with the word zap?
If I got electro-shock therapy(zapped myself)before each race would I drive faster? Or would I be content to go slow? Would I be roar legal? Would I get DQ'ed if I was too happy?

Stock sucks-be a man-run mod!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

I Zapped my Reciever because it was glitching really bad but it didn't do anything, so I tried zapping my transmitter module and it still didn't work! So I tried zapping my throttle hand and steering hand...get this..TWICE and the glitch in my car is gone!!! So are the feelings on my hands They're numb until now!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
It doesn't work....and simply isn't worth it. It however is NOT against the rules, but some down in Florida seem to think it is, so they will be testing for at the Nats....

Please show me where in the rules it says you can't do it.....last I checked, it specifically ALLOWS the zapping of magnets and gives no direction on what is or is not allowed in the process.....if ROAR wants to make it illegal, then the rules need to specifically say it....however, its going to be a nightmare to tech and rule correctly, as people could accidently zap stuff like that and the armature can actually simulate the symptoms when it over saturates a normally charged magnet.....sorry, but the people teching this understand little how the whole armature to magnet relationship works. My guess.....people who honestly did not do it will end up disqualified....

And No....team br00d doesn't do it, never have....we just find it funny to lap the idiots who think it works.......

Later EddieO
IMO.....You couldn't be any more right Eddie.....ADVANCE zapping magnets in a touring car, especially for motors that already have 24 degrees of advance is not only counterproductive (on the dyno and track), but almost impossible to tech and measure "accurately".......it cracks me up with all the (non-horsepower adding) things that people are wanting to make such a huge deal over in tech lately......same go's for the issue of simply aligning brush hoods correctly, just so that the wear mark is in the center of the brush, (THE WAY ALL OF OUR MOTORS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, RIGHT FROM THE FACTORY)... "AND ARE" on a certain percentage of UNTOUCHED motors.........I guess the answer when racing at these "tech happy" ,take the fun out of the hobby tracks, is to buy about a dozen motors or more, this way you get some that are perfect right out of the box... so ya don't have to worry about getting disqualified for aligning your brushhoods so that their "equal" to the guy that got lucky enough to get a perfect one to begin with....this is real good for the hobby .......not to mention going way over and beyond what Roar seems to specifiy on these issues........

Last edited by Joe B; 09-08-2005 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Speeds Gonzo
Stock is stock and all it should really be about is gearing and driving, that's all you need. Zapping is just adding another element that might turn on you. I see no need, no offense to any one just my thoughts.
It would be that simple, "only" if all stock motors were built equal at the factory, and put out similar power.....which they don't....this is why it's a rebuildable stock class, so that the drivers tuning ability comes into play....magnets come zapped with varying degrees of saturation, arms come shimmed differently, bushings come with slightly different diameter holes, the arms machine winds vary greatly, as do the stamped brushhoods in almost all important areas......magnet strength is just one more thing that can be kept in top shape by zapping....... done correctly , especially on certain inherently weak magnet motors that can benifit from it on a regular basis, it can make a pretty good difference in power(track and dyno)......IMO, it's also one of the things that the factory dosen't do too well........Most of the motors magnets I go thru, are far from full saturation, as well as getting many that have been zapped backwards from the factory

Last edited by Joe B; 09-08-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

i posted this topic just to see what peoples thoughts are and to get a little bit more understanding on the cause and effects of zapping timing, thanx to eddie and the others who have contributed to this topic with useful information. for the others these forums are places to get information and talk about the issues, please stay on topic so others dont have to read pages and pages of useless posts such as zapping this and zapping that. thanx to those who keep a straight line

all the best
Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

I know for a fact a lot of guys at the Reedy, Snowbird and several recent big races are running motors with "timing" magnet xapped. They seem to be getting a bit more overall mid/top speed but the real advantage comes in handling of the car, they get to run (for example) a 7:1 ratio instead of a 5.7:1 ratio with the Reedy 19T.
For those who don't really understand the effect, picture this - using 2nd gear instead of 3rd gear on your real car and if your engine rev high enough, your straight away speed will still be fast plus you will have faster acceleration everywhere.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Nice theory but too bad it doesnt work like that with electric motors. When you increase the timing, it moves the powerband higher up in the RPM range, thus you need a lower gear to get into the powerband.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Again.....nobody is saying people are not using it.....I am saying its not worth it. Peter Robinson WORKS for me.....he placed 3rd in stock at Snowbirds, he WON carpet nats, and he TQed and WON the 19t Spec class at the Reedy Race......and I can guarantee you without a shadow of doubt that he did not ever zap his magnets forward.....he would with ease pass a lie detector test about it...

And to further....the zapper we take to races is the trinity portable unit. At snowbirds, he zapped his magnets once....and I did it. At carpet nats and the Reedy, I was not there....but he did have the zapper....problem is, the zapper LOCKS the motor in with the four motor mounting holes...its impossible to rotate the motor in the device so you can only zap part of the magnets....

You would have to use a zapper that worked like the team 1....

Peter called me and told me he saw people doing it at carpet nats and the reedy......I told him it wasn't worth it and he did not need to worry about it....

And look at the results.....

Later EddieO
Old 09-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If all guys want are raw rpm's and try to gear it accordingly just zap the motor backwards for a few seconds it'll pull all kinds of rpm.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Peter Robinson is very fast indeed and it's nice to know that he didn't zap the magnet with advanced timing. The guys with advanced timing zap are very fast too but then if you look at the Reedy race result, I guess they are not any faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.