R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Anyone know CAD/CAM and CNC?

hey anyone ever want to make parts and have them cut out well I did, so I bought a CNC Mill about 6 months ago and still have yet to figure out how to draw in CAD, I just dont get it! anyways I have the machine if you have the talent and patience for CAD what can we make?
joe@brokengears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I write CNC programs for an aerospace company here in the DFW area. Cad design can be relatively easy to learn depending on the program being used. Some are easier to learn than others. CNC programming on the other hand gets down to spending lots of time and trial and error to master as there are so many variables involved. You need to have some good math skills in geometry and trigonometry. I have been doing it for about 25 years and I do it every day for 8-10 hours and I still learn something new every day. I design my own fixtures and tools along with developing the process by which the parts are made. I even do some training on the side from time to time in the particular software that I use. I have been building RC parts for the last 2-3 years. Lots of racers around the country and even a few in other countries have been using my tools and parts. You can check them out at http://www.teamtamale.com I don't know where you are located or what software you are trying to use or the what machine you purchased. Might be able to give a few pointers.
teamtamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Default cool

Thats cool
I am using BobCAD v20
I live in hawaii
I Bought a SpectraLight mill
and I have a plastic vacuum molding machine

so whats the best way to kearn to use it all?

Joe
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Programming software!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thats cool
I am using BobCAD v20
I live in hawaii
I Bought a SpectraLight mill
and I have a plastic vacuum molding machine

so whats the best way to kearn to use it all?

Joe
What the heck is BobCADv20.
Mastercam is the software to use! Ask around the industry and that's what everybody uses unless your doing a lot of 3D machining then there might be better one's out there but Mastercam 9.1 is the bomb!!!!
Just my 2!
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:00 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

wanna send me a copy od mastercam - i have yet to learn the bobcad anyways
Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Mastercam is what I use. Can't send you a copy as this is about $15,000 worth of software that has a security key that plugs into a USB port on your computer. I know what Bobcad is. It is a relative inexpensive simple program. For use at home it my be adequate. Use the manuals if you have them. Learning this is a little like learning to drive your RC car. Practice, practice, and more practice.
teamtamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

yeah, MasterCAM seems to be the most popular.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know a little bit of AutoCAD, Solidworks and Mastercam. What do you want to design?

What kind of mill did you get? What kind of materials can you cut with it?
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

I think i have he hardware key for mastercam, is a contraption that plugs into the parallel port? or wait i have something caslled vector 9 i wil go through the software that came with it, its a spectralight CNC Mill, I have cut aluminum , wood, and machinable plastic with it, there are alot of things i think i would want to make I guess i need o start off with some simplke things. a-arms chassis, eventualy i want to make a waterjet for use in a jet ski or jet boat
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Catia V5 and UG NX2 is where its at
jp_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I think i have he hardware key for mastercam, is a contraption that plugs into the parallel port? or wait i have something caslled vector 9 i wil go through the software that came with it, its a spectralight CNC Mill, I have cut aluminum , wood, and machinable plastic with it, there are alot of things i think i would want to make I guess i need o start off with some simplke things. a-arms chassis, eventualy i want to make a waterjet for use in a jet ski or jet boat
If it's Vector Works forget it, it's an Architect oriented CAD software. As for the CAM, I like PowerMill, it's good in 3D. Otherwise, if you're doing 2D, best is to learn G-Code, not too difficult. Also a good advice would be to buy blocks of foam to try your programs on, this way any error on the program will not end in your CNC being broken...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

thanks for the ideas i have sme rather large blocks of foam hee that i could cut down as blocks to run the parts as a test, good idea - thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

AutoCad 2006 is the program I use in school. Simple program once you use it for a little bit. Does it all, it just takes patients and practice. But really simple to use. But it is very costly. About $1000 for a package I believe. See 4 years of this and I still learn more about it everyday!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

O one more thing, Cad is the program must major R/C companies and other places use to design there parts. It gets very detailed but show you how close to make the parts and gives very precise detail about parts and such. You can even create layers and such and turn on/off the layers to view the parts. Its the only way to go if you need detail. There's also other programs that interact with Cad to allow stresses and weights to be forced upon the drawing. (I think there's a program at least ) Either way its worth every penny if you have it. Heck there's even this sweet plotter they have out, you draw the drawing send it to plot and it makes a actually production type of the figure you just drew. So you can draw say a ball bearing and plot it off and a liquid type of figure will come out of the plotter revealing the object and all of its contents inside of it. Pretty sweet, but yet pretty costly. Costs almost the price of a compact car.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There's a light version of AutoCAD called AutoCAD LT. I think the price is in the hundred rather than the thousands. It probably has everything you need for now.

Yup, that thingy that plugs into the parallel port is most likely the key.

So are you needing someone to design parts for you or do you need CAD lessons?
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote