R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Help! Tamiya TT02 or TT02D? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/833538-help-tamiya-tt02-tt02d.html)

YingKai 08-30-2014 09:25 AM

Help! Tamiya TT02 or TT02D?

First of all,I'm really new to RC and would like to start this as my hobby but I'm really confused by so many brands and models.

I'm thinking of playing RC mainly for drift racing,somebody recommended me the tamiya TT02 for a beginner.

But I later found out that there's a TT02 and TT02D with drift specs.

What's the difference? Is TT02D really better?

If I wanna play RC mainly for drifting,which one should I go for?

Btw I read in other websites saying that the only difference was the oil shocks,ball bearings, drift tyres and sports tuned motor. Which people told me I can go ahead with the TT02 and upgrade them to even better ones than the TT02D stock,it will drift and perform even better. Is that true?

YingKai 08-30-2014 12:31 PM

Someone please help...

Qatmix 08-30-2014 12:46 PM

They are exactly the same as each other, the only difference are the bits you get in the kit.

The std kits have a shell, ESC and motor.

TT02D has no shell or esc but has bearings and oil shocks.
Here is a build and review
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html
Here is a guide to tuning the TT02

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html

YingKai 08-30-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Qatmix (Post 13502384)
They are exactly the same as each other, the only difference are the bits you get in the kit.

The std kits have a shell, ESC and motor.

TT02D has no shell or esc but has bearings and oil shocks.

Hence your advice is to go for TT02 would be better in terms of pricing wise? Since both is the same just that the little bits of parts that actually could be upgraded in the future if I go for TT02 right?

Qatmix 08-30-2014 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by YingKai (Post 13502401)
Hence your advice is to go for TT02 would be better in terms of pricing wise? Since both is the same just that the little bits of parts that actually could be upgraded in the future if I go for TT02 right?

Yes, you get more in a TT02 kit and you can buy shocks / bearings for pretty cheap when you want to upgrade

ThePanda 08-30-2014 06:28 PM

My advice would be going for a tb03 kit. Better value than the tt02. And only about 50 dollars more.

YingKai 08-30-2014 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ThePanda (Post 13502914)
My advice would be going for a tb03 kit. Better value than the tt02. And only about 50 dollars more.

Hmmm that was in my consideration too but it seems like TB03 kits might be too advance for me,isn't it?

YingKai 08-30-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Qatmix (Post 13502457)
Yes, you get more in a TT02 kit and you can buy shocks / bearings for pretty cheap when you want to upgrade

Guess tt02 would be my best choice then! Was unable to decide previously cos I heard that the tt02d has a better chassis and I thought they're different.

addicted2blue 08-31-2014 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by YingKai (Post 13502976)
Guess tt02 would be my best choice then! Was unable to decide previously cos I heard that the tt02d has a better chassis and I thought they're different.

The TT-02D version has some reinforced A-parts, but other then that all the parts are the same.
I prefer to buy the TT-02D version over a standard version.
Why??,
I don't like the position of the front body stays, they are to far backwards and your body will get quicker damage then when you would replace the body mounts on your bumper. (body mounts of a TA05 are fine)
Second the standard body's are heavy and the mounting holes are pre-drilled, so i'm Always using light weight bodys.
Third, there are some ball bearings, oil dampers and a motor heatsink included in the TT-02D kit.
If you don't mind the position of the body mounts or weight of the body then i would also go for the standard TT-02 version.

Djchow85 08-31-2014 06:26 AM

I'd get the standard. You get a body, there are some decent choices. Check out rcmart or banzai hobby.

You don't get bearings or oil shocks but you can get these for about $8/$25 (with spring set)

If you buy another body with the tt02d online you'll pay quite a bit for shipping.

YingKai 08-31-2014 02:58 PM

Hmmm I don't mind those reinforced A-parts, pre drilled mounting holes or those additional oil shocks, ball bearings or motor heat sink since these are all upgradeable later with the TT-02 right?

But the lighter weight seems like a hold back for me to consider TT-02D.

Will I be able to upgrade my body next time?

Does it affects a lot for me drifting as a beginner?

ThePanda 08-31-2014 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by YingKai (Post 13502953)
Hmmm that was in my consideration too but it seems like TB03 kits might be too advance for me,isn't it?

No, I wouldn't say so. It is leagues ahead of the tt02 though. You can adjust and tweak the chassis to you liking, and it has many of the finer adjustments needed to make a good drift car. Mainly camber, oil shock tuning, and roll center adjustment. It also comes with tunable diffs, and ball bearings all around. Plus it doesn't use dumb self tapping screws.

It's just better. The tt02 is almost toy grade.

addicted2blue 09-01-2014 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ThePanda (Post 13505065)
The tt02 is almost toy grade.

I really don't like to hear that a TT-02 is toy grade.
Eventhough it looks toyish for a lot of drivers it just isn't, cause this chassis has a lot more potential then some drivers even can handle or see.
If you look at mine or Qatmix's TT-02 then you will see a good car with a hidden potential that has been pictured for other guys to see what can be done to improve this chassis.
I think you don't mean it the way it's been written but it does come to other people that way.
No effence, it's just my opinion about this car.

ThePanda 09-01-2014 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by addicted2blue (Post 13505772)
I really don't like to hear that a TT-02 is toy grade.
Eventhough it looks toyish for a lot of drivers it just isn't, cause this chassis has a lot more potential then some drivers even can handle or see.
If you look at mine or Qatmix's TT-02 then you will see a good car with a hidden potential that has been pictured for other guys to see what can be done to improve this chassis.
I think you don't mean it the way it's been written but it does come to other people that way.
No effence, it's just my opinion about this car.

Maybe I should rephrase. Stock, the tt series has always been a little bit under par with what else was offered in the same category and at the same price. It can certainly be tuned up and upgraded to be an amazing little car. It just takes a little bit of tlc to get there.

Djchow85 09-01-2014 02:58 PM

As much as I love tamiya have a look also at the sakura s zero. It's a 90$ kit where it already comes with bearings/oil shocks I think. You don't get a body but there are extra bits and bobs it has over the tt02. Just in case you may want to get into on road racing like I did when I moved on from the rally "mode" of the tt02..