R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default 2 chargers and 1 truck battery- Charging at the track.

Forgive me ahead of time if this is posted in the wrong forum. I am going to be running 2 on-road classes at our parking lot race track. Almost all of us charge off our car batteries. I wanted to know if I could charge both cars at once using 2 separate chargers hooked up to one battery in my truck? Will 2 chargers draw too much and kill my battery at the track? I just don't want to be stranded after a day of racing. If all else fails I will try to quick charge my batteries one at a time on one charger so basically slam my packs at a higher amperage which I'm not a fan of. : ( Thanks in advance for help
Driving through hell and back! Phoenix Raceway, Afghanistan 10'-11'.

Last edited by Loco4G63T; 08-27-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: better explanation
Loco4G63T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If you are going to charge the same number of packs the same number of times, then charging them two at a time or one at a time is not going make any difference on the total energy removed from the truck battery.

I used to fire up the engine in my van during the lunch break to make sure I didn't pull it down too far. I forgot to do that a few times, but still had no problems starting the van at the end of the day. We ran four classes.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can hook up as many chargers, lights, ....etc as you want without having any problems with running your car battery down. Just to be extra safe starting your car every 3-4 hours for 10 minutes would be a good idea as Howard described above.

Some of the higher end chargers out there have features built in that alerts you when the input voltage gets below a user set voltage, which would also give you more peace of mind.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Awesome Guys, Thanks so much. I was a little worried and ready to go and buy one of those hitec 4x chargers but I will hold off for now since i don't see myself running more than 2 classes. Thanks again : )
Old 08-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco4G63T View Post
Forgive me ahead of time if this is posted in the wrong forum. I am going to be running 2 on-road classes at our parking lot race track. Almost all of us charge off our car batteries. I wanted to know if I could charge both cars at once using 2 separate chargers hooked up to one battery in my truck? Will 2 chargers draw too much and kill my battery at the track? I just don't want to be stranded after a day of racing. If all else fails I will try to quick charge my batteries one at a time on one charger so basically slam my packs at a higher amperage which I'm not a fan of. : ( Thanks in advance for help
I would buy a generator, personally. http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To add to what others have said (such as starting your vehicle periodically), you might also consider turning off the charger when it is not being used. I have personally ran 2 separate chargers all day using a regular starter battery on my car with no issues.

Another option for remote location charging is using a deep cycle battery. Since these batteries are designed to be used for longer periods of time, running r/c chargers or other 12 volt devices (such as 12 volt fans) won't hurt them. Many of these batteries have built-in handles which makes them easy to transport. You probably would need to purchase a deep cycle charger, but I have heard of people using r/c car chargers.

I have used a loose car/starter battery for charging in my pits successfully in the past. This is a good option if you are only using 1 or 2 chargers. However, I've seen others use this option with too many chargers & 12 volts devices (such as fans to cool motors) and they drained the battery. An easy solution is to have a 12 volt power distribution device to turn off anything that is not in use. Here is a link on Tower Hobbies for a device made by Integy (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBWNF). Here is a similar device on AMAIN made by Muchmore which also has a usb port (http://www.amain.com/Muchmore-Racing...-Black/p358224)

Another option that a local parking lot racer has used is a portable jump starter device. Here is a link to the device he used (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-400-...ype=10&veh=aff) but there are many other devices out there like this. If you have a local Harbor Freight they also sell similar devices.

Generators are a good option, but tend to be loud. I have used Honda generators in the past and they worked well. The Honda also has a quiet mode, which is nice. However in the quiet mode it can't generate as much power, so you might have issues if running a high powered charger or multiple chargers.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 08-27-2014 at 12:52 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Ive been doing this for years. if you have a good quality AGM in your car/truck, shouldn't have any troubles.
genny's are expensive heh. im sure you could just plug into someone elses and maybe buy them lunch or gas or somthing.
but charging off car battery is really finef or the amount of ah we use.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Generators are a good option, but tend to be loud. I have used Honda generators in the past and they worked well. The Honda also has a quiet mode, which is nice. However in the quiet mode it can't generate as much power, so you might have issues if running a high powered charger or multiple chargers.
Yamaha generators were not too bad as compared to the honda.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/con...tors_home.aspx
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've charged off my regular car battery for a few parking lot races. No issues at all. As others have stated, I start my car every now and then. Usually for about 5 minutes between rounds. I also carry jumper cables and a tiny jump box/battery just in case.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the added input guys. I'm definetly more aware of my options now : )