R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Xray T3 2012 part on Xray T4's?

Hope I can get some help.. I'm running a Xray T3 2012 for VTA I am now also wanting to get into USGT and run both classes. Not sure if the majority of parts are interchangeable so I don't know if I should bump up to a T4 for USGT or buy another T3 so I only have one parts pile. Thanks for any and all input.
Scott
X53Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Different chassis, different suspension mounts and bulkheads, different shocks... a lot of the normal wear and tear parts(diffs, arms, hubs, etc.) are mostly interchangeable. Xray has a table made up already, bottom of the page in the link...

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...e2a0de6019d699

We run T3's in VTA, and a T4 in USGT as you mentioned.. it would be a bit cheaper to have the same car for both, but it's not a huge strain to have both models. I would normally say two identical cars would make setup easier, but the VTA cars usually need somewhat oddball setups anyway.. I wouldn't factor that in. I would not use a T4 for VTA, for what that's worth... it's just a lot easier making weight with the older car. The T4 doesn't have nearly as many good spots to add weight, and your T3 should run like a freight train in VTA.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks for that info! I guess I may look for a T4 then. I will definitely keep my T3 for VTA as I love that thing. Do you believe the T4 handles that much better than the T3? Was just wondering why the T4 over T3 if you have the option for USGT? By the way I'm running a large carpet track.
Thanks for the help!
Scott
Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

I already had the T4.

We'd been running Associated cars in VTA and it was time for something new... the T3'12 was of course the last Xray with the wider chassis/taller shocks/etc., goes back to the weight thing. There was also no reason to spend the extra cash on more T4's when T3's were considerably cheaper at the time. You can make just about any chassis work in VTA with a good setup. You'd be able to make either car work well in either class, for 17.5 (or faster) I greatly prefer the T4 over the T3. A lot of people will soon be dumping their old rides (all at once) when the new T4 variation comes out, you may get a sweet deal on a solid used one.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

All of the "replaceable" parts are interchangeable (arms, c-hubs, rear hubs, pins, drive shafts). I kept most of the parts I used on the T3 and then just reused them for my T4. Had to get different springs, though.

As for which one is faster, I was actually faster with my T3'12 than my stock T4. I had the worst time with my T4 until I purchased the RSD chassis for it, and then I became one of the fastest stock drivers at my local track. The T4 just felt too "safe" for me. I could never get enough steering out of it, even with crazy setups. I know of a lot of folks complaining of a mid corner push with the T4, so it's not just me.

The T4'14, however, is much different.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi guys, the t3 and t4 are similar but different, the biggest diff being the the shocks and optional ball diff t3 only while gear diff t4 only , t4 is built slightly lower to the ground as well but with the correct setup both cars can do the job, u should always be on the lookout for used rollers , they come up often and are good value when considering the excessive spare parts price.
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Once again thank a bunch for all the input and info! Its great to have a community like this were people are willing to help others out..
Scott