Like Tree26Likes

Tamiya FF04

Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just one more thing (additional to the PM) to copy from your FF03 is the height of the inner arm pins of the armmounts. This once made a huge difference on my KR-MF.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is anyone still running the FF-04 Evo? I recently bought a new built (but unused) one, and have done a couple of local meetings with it on grey carpet. One was with a mostly kit setup (100k diff, 450 oil, kit springs, 1.0mm rear roll bar), the other was with several changes (500k diff oil, 1XB front blocks, reversed rear arms, Yokomo pink/blue springs, added a 1.3mm front roll bar). I found that the kit setup was responsive, but loose at the rear. The modified setup had a planted rear end, but off power steering was very poor. I plan to make changes to diff oil and roll bars to try and find a good overall balance.

However, the other FWD racers are all using the X-Ray T4F, and that chassis seems to be much more responsive, and has better drive out of the corners. Comparable drivers are up to 0.5s per lap faster than my FF-04 on a 10s lap, it seems like an uphill struggle to match them with this car...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont' think it's a losing battle. you just need to look closer... I'll do some looking too.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

If you recently bought the car, then you're not good enough at driving it yet to win races. Keep practicing.

Personally I prefer a loose rear-end with FWD. It's closer to 4WD in its ability to oversteer on command, though admittedly it's harder to rein-in the oversteer once it starts.

It's kinda funny to look at the T4F and see a rear bulkhead that is clearly designed for a 4WD chassis. I wonder how much work it would be to kit-bash a T4 and a T4F together to make a front-motor T4? (or a rear-motor T4, to keep my Tamiya XV-01 R company.)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post

It's kinda funny to look at the T4F and see a rear bulkhead that is clearly designed for a 4WD chassis. I wonder how much work it would be to kit-bash a T4 and a T4F together to make a front-motor T4? (or a rear-motor T4, to keep my Tamiya XV-01 R company.)
How would you be able to do that, given that the Diff is driven via the layshaft pulley?

Most other initial FWD cars from other manufacturers did the same thing, in keeping their 4WD rear Bulkheads.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

I dunno. Just pondering ideas.