R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree25Likes

Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 AM   #226
Tech Adept

@thomsva did you made the motorplate and the counter part by your self?
Do you have any drawings of it?

Claude
toroloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@thomsva: Looks awesome! Nice work with the motorcables!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #228
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroloco View Post
@thomsva did you made the motorplate and the counter part by your self?
Do you have any drawings of it?

Claude
Yes, I designed the parts myself. It's a bit tricky as there is so little room to play around with. I even made 3d printed prototypes to make sure everything fits. Based on the prototype I made some small additional changes, and ordered the carbon fiber parts from armattancomponents.com. (edit: should read armattanproductions.com)

I'd be happy to publish the files. I just need to put together some documentation/instructions first.

The photo is of the 3d printed prototype.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya FF04-p6020301.jpg  
patorz31 and G-rem like this.

Last edited by thomsva; 11-07-2017 at 06:54 AM.
thomsva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 AM   #229
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
@thomsva: Looks awesome! Nice work with the motorcables!
Thank's! The cables fit under the top deck thanks to a low profile battery. But it's still fairly tight.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #230
Tech Adept

@thomsva thank you. As I'm in Europe It would be nice to have the cad files so that I can let them make over here.
But very cool.
How did the laptimes improve with the new parts?

Claude
toroloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #231
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsva View Post
Yesterday I tested my FF-04 for the first time. What a fun car to drive!

I have replaced the stock motorplate and the support-part on the opposite side of the chassis with custom made carbon parts. This "LCG mod" allows the motor to be mounted almost 5mm lower than stock. The bumper needs to be modified a bit with sandpaper/dremel to accommodate the new motor position. All in all it turned out nice!

FF-04 Black edition
Servo: Sav÷x Black edition
ESC: HW Justock Black
Cables for servo an esc: TQ Triple Black
Motor and battery cables: 14awg Black
Motor: HW Xerun 17.5t (black)
Battery: Arrowmax 4000mAh (non-black stickers removed)
Well done!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #232
Tech Rookie

FF-04 LCG kit

My LCG-kit is now published on Armattan Productions. The parts can be bought from there or you can download the designs as .dxf files by clicking on the individual parts and selecting download.

Uh, it seems I'm not allowed to post urls.
...but go to armattanproductions.com. Then type thomsva in their search field.
aracefan likes this.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #233
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Yesterday I tested my FF-04 for the first time. What a fun car to drive!

I have replaced the stock motorplate and the support-part on the opposite side of the chassis with custom made carbon parts. This "LCG mod" allows the motor to be mounted almost 5mm lower than stock. The bumper needs to be modified a bit with sandpaper/dremel to accommodate the new motor position. All in all it turned out nice!

FF-04 Black edition
Servo: Sav÷x Black edition
ESC: HW Justock Black
Cables for servo an esc: TQ Triple Black
Motor and battery cables: 14awg Black
Motor: HW Xerun 17.5t (black)
Battery: Arrowmax 4000mAh (non-black stickers removed)
Hey thomsva, can you post a top-down and one fully side on of your FF04 Evo, please? Did you have to dremel out the front shock tower (above the gear cover) to accommodate all three motor wires and the sensor wire?? I put 14awg wire on my esc and I can't cram all 4 wires through the hole underneath the front shock tower.

btw, I'm trying to route my wires as you have - below the top deck... Thanks in advance.
aracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #234
Tech Fanatic

Alright, got the rest of the gear in and took it for a spin (around my garage floor ). The wires aren't as neat as I would like but didn't come out too bad.

I would have liked to use black zip ties... but I had the clear/white'ish color or lime green. May change it over to the lime green to give it a pop of color
(only HGTV reference this whole post, promise). And I don't really like where my sensor wire is, but I need to run by Hobbytown and see if they have any longer ones.

Here you can see the aluminum servo mount and TB05 battery stays, thanks for the tip Tom1977!!

Now, just need to find a nice smooth parking lot and throw down some dots and play. 'Course, I need to throw it on the setup station, but will probably build my other VBC FF17 first and get them both set. Thanks for looking!
Tom1977 likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #235
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
FF-04 LCG kit

My LCG-kit is now published on Armattan Productions. The parts can be bought from there or you can download the designs as .dxf files by clicking on the individual parts and selecting download.

Uh, it seems I'm not allowed to post urls.
...but go to armattanproductions.com. Then type thomsva in their search field.
I just read and looked at your LCG kit on that site... looks great!! I'll have to order one of those after the first of the year. Would really like to have the motor plate side to be made out of aluminum or some sort of metal. Maybe I could get a piece made locally from your CF part. Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 AM   #236
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
Alright, got the rest of the gear in and took it for a spin (around my garage floor ). The wires aren't as neat as I would like but didn't come out too bad.

I would have liked to use black zip ties... but I had the clear/white'ish color or lime green. May change it over to the lime green to give it a pop of color
(only HGTV reference this whole post, promise). And I don't really like where my sensor wire is, but I need to run by Hobbytown and see if they have any longer ones.

Here you can see the aluminum servo mount and TB05 battery stays, thanks for the tip Tom1977!!

Now, just need to find a nice smooth parking lot and throw down some dots and play. 'Course, I need to throw it on the setup station, but will probably build my other VBC FF17 first and get them both set. Thanks for looking!
I see you finally got some VDF battery posts.
aracefan likes this.

Other cars: Team Associated SC10 4x4 FT, Team Associated SC10B, Traxxas Slash 1/16, Square TA05 Drift Conversion SP-Kit Type T
Tom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #237
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
I see you finally got some VDF battery posts.
Yeah, I got 4 sets of them!! I need to put some shock o-rings on them, but am currently out.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #238
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Hey thomsva, can you post a top-down and one fully side on of your FF04 Evo, please? Did you have to dremel out the front shock tower (above the gear cover) to accommodate all three motor wires and the sensor wire?? I put 14awg wire on my esc and I can't cram all 4 wires through the hole underneath the front shock tower.

btw, I'm trying to route my wires as you have - below the top deck... Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Sorry for a late reply. I'll take some more photos when I get my camera up and running. From your pictures it looks like your cables may be slightly thicker than mine. It is a rather tight fit but I didn't need to dremel anything. The battery has a low profile and it still presses against the cables.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:27 AM   #239
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I just read and looked at your LCG kit on that site... looks great!! I'll have to order one of those after the first of the year. Would really like to have the motor plate side to be made out of aluminum or some sort of metal. Maybe I could get a piece made locally from your CF part. Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Thank's for the supporting words! I agree that an aluminum plate would be great for at a least two reasons:
1. It would lead some heat away from the motor and increase the total cooling surface.
2. It could be threaded with m3 threads to allow for installation like the original motor plate.

Aluminium is heavier than cf, so it could be nice to make some lightening holes in the upper part of the plate. I have shaped the plate according to the spur gear but it could be made a bit lighter. The .dxf files are there on Armattan Production's page for download and you are of course free to use it for an own version if you like. Just let us know how it turns out.

Also, even if I agree that aluminium has some benefits, I have been totally happy with the carbon fiber parts so far. It's feels very solid and heat has not been an issue.
aracefan likes this.