Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, I am heading to Southern California for a couple weeks and my trusty TRF419x is making the trip with me. I won't be racing in the TCS event, but I want to make it to a practice saturday at Tamiya Raceway while I am there.

I am running a Maclan 17.5 Team Edition motor. I would like to know from anyone has run that track with the 419x and can share any setup tips, gear ratios etc?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

New in box 419X for sale. PM me if interested!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nortran11
Hey guys, I am heading to Southern California for a couple weeks and my trusty TRF419x is making the trip with me. I won't be racing in the TCS event, but I want to make it to a practice saturday at Tamiya Raceway while I am there.

I am running a Maclan 17.5 Team Edition motor. I would like to know from anyone has run that track with the 419x and can share any setup tips, gear ratios etc?

Thanks
Next week is TCS Nats and the track will be closed permanently after that, sadly
Old 08-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nortran11

Thanks
Originally Posted by MikeR
Next week is TCS Nats and the track will be closed permanently after that, sadly
Yup, missed the boat on that scene.
When you come out look up Cal Raceway, that's where a lot of us are gonna be going for asphalt fixes.
TQ RC Raceway for black carpet racing close by too.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sucks to hear about Tamiya, but that's been a long time coming I guess. I've had my 419XR sitting on the shelf for months. Think I'll dust it off and head out to Cal one of these weekends.
- Jose
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Raman
It appears as of June 1st, Tamiya USA has implemented an MAP with its resellers. Basically 20% higher than before.

So a TRF419X WS is now $909 at Tower and with a tower club coupon, you receive $84 off... that’s $825.

The new TRF103 is $448 - $52 = $397

i guess I won’t be buying any new Tamiya kits.. lol
I am not sure where they're going with such a decision. Seppuku, perchance?

They have abandoned the TRF line, so there is nothing of interest for racers and their club/entry level offering is nothing special but they're jacking up the price? Why would anyone pay a premium? It's a hobby, not life saving surgery.

Or maybe they just want to focus on collectors, but I doubt that's going to keep them alive.

Or someone in management has had too much sake.

Either way, in my opinion their best cars are behind them anyway, they lost their mojo.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

The TRF line is not abandoned. Plenty of new chassis have been released alongside some very nice hop ups for racers.

I have no idea why they have done the MAP thing in the US, and I totally can see why that sucks. Although in the rest of the world that’s not the case and they seem to have had a renaissance as club stock cars, the TB05 also seems to have been getting some impressive results on outdoor mid/low grip tracks as well.
Tom1977 and jgil089 like this.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
The TRF line is not abandoned. Plenty of new chassis have been released alongside some very nice hop ups for racers.

I have no idea why they have done the MAP thing in the US, and I totally can see why that sucks. Although in the rest of the world that’s not the case and they seem to have had a renaissance as club stock cars, the TB05 also seems to have been getting some impressive results on outdoor mid/low grip tracks as well.
I don't feel like the TRF line is dead either... yet. The problem is that Tamiya USA is not carrying some important parts. For example I had to ask someone in Germany to order the rear damper stay for the 419x because Tamiya USA doesn't carry it. The amazingly stupid thing is that the part is made in the USA. If I couldn't get that part, I would have had to abandon my car and more than likely I would have stop buying Tamiya. How can they sell you a "900" dollar car and then not support it properly?
Raman, Qatmix and airbiscuit like this.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubs
I don't feel like the TRF line is dead either... yet. The problem is that Tamiya USA is not carrying some important parts. For example I had to ask someone in Germany to order the rear damper stay for the 419x because Tamiya USA doesn't carry it. The amazingly stupid thing is that the part is made in the USA. If I couldn't get that part, I would have had to abandon my car and more than likely I would have stop buying Tamiya. How can they sell you a "900" dollar car and then not support it properly?
I share your frustration.. Tamiya USA’s part support inventory has turned into Swiss cheese. Two years ago, it wasn’t like this.. sure they would run out and then in a few months would be restocked. At present, between the 4 Tamiya chassis I run competitively.. 50% of the replacement parts on each chassis is out of stock at TamiyaUSA.

Last race.. I broke steering upright and so did my son. I have plenty of uprights.. but the 4.6x4.7 lower flange tube fell off on both chassis and I didn’t have any because the 54075 set was out of stock the last I stocked up on parts and the flange tube from 419x with tighter tolerance hasn’t been in stock since the 419x came to these shores. So I used the upper one on both cars to continue going.

When I came home, i went to TQ first. They had 1 of the old 54075 set, but I didn’t want king pin and upper as I had plenty. So I had to go fishing to find just the bottom and wasn’t sure if it would be flourine coated when I ordered 19804396 from the 416/417 kits.. luckily they were.

now that is just a small stupid part.. let’s talk about the ws aluminium chassis. A year went by and no stock. I ended up special ordering it from Stella. Then they received it and sold out instantly... hmm that would be a good sign to restock right? Nope.. not these days

So they can be pissed off that they aren’t as profitable as the past and raise prices, enforce an MAP policy.. but what are we supposed to buy from them when they don’t have the inventory?

Thank god that RCMart and Stella still sell and stock Tamiya parts
Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

One ridiculous and weird fact is Tamiya themselves changes attitudes from kit to kit. Just looking at the original 419, damper stays, lower and upper deck are available as spare parts with 5 digits part numbers. 419X , however, making every bits of that into 7 digits which renders it impossible to get parts quickly. To me, Tamiya seems to what to ditch the racing market or why they don't make that much of spare parts for all the chassis anymore? I don't except Tamiya to produce spares in the level of AE (which is why I could assemble a compelete tc6.2 with few boxes of parts from ebay and an direct order from AE) but at least making the spares available rather than impossible to get hold of.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Qatmix

Name one new TRF (chassis) release.

The "upgrades" are just fluff and they are not TRF unique hence they target a completely different market segment.
And the very fact that in the US you can not get TRF parts made in the US is telling.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t
One ridiculous and weird fact is Tamiya themselves changes attitudes from kit to kit. Just looking at the original 419, damper stays, lower and upper deck are available as spare parts with 5 digits part numbers. 419X , however, making every bits of that into 7 digits which renders it impossible to get parts quickly. To me, Tamiya seems to what to ditch the racing market or why they don't make that much of spare parts for all the chassis anymore? I don't except Tamiya to produce spares in the level of AE (which is why I could assemble a compelete tc6.2 with few boxes of parts from ebay and an direct order from AE) but at least making the spares available rather than impossible to get hold of.
Not only that, but to find the part numbers for spares/upgrades for a certain kit is a pain. And some parts are not even listed on the Tamiya US site, which is the main source of info outside Japan. Tamiya Japan does not have a translated version of their website. Which kinda makes you think they still want to release specials for the domestic market only.
Which is fine.

But I still don't understand why they can't have a website like Xray where you can find anything you want at your finger tips?
airbiscuit likes this.

Last edited by niznai; 08-13-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
#42316 TRF419XR
Old 08-13-2018, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C van der Hagen
#42316 TRF419XR
Isn't that the third iteration of the 419?

Kinda like reheating leftovers?

Or does it have something new, like say Serpent? Or Xray? Or Mugen, or any other company you care to mention?

Face it. Tamiya's TRF group is gone, new chassies are just old chassies with some fluff.

On a positive note, I do see they finally found a band aid measure for the sway bar problem. About ten years after all other manufacturers have made it standard. Too much trouble to design new bulkheads, so they came up with a 2c piece of plastic they put in the new kit so they can charge you (according to the new pricing policy) 900 bucks for the new kit.

Get real. The only new thing from Tamiya is the loony pricing policy.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
#42318 TRF103
All new, no?
C van der Hagen likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.