Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Dude, I don't give a diddly what you think. My experience is as I say it is. Vanilla stories like yours may happen but I wouldn't encourage anyone to book a trip to Japan (much as it is a beautiful country) on the chance they'll get R/C stuff at discounted prices.

I have used RC Champ on the web before I went to Japan, and I don't rate them as cheap, plus they like to hit me with all sorts of fees for using Paypal or credit which is what everybody in the world is using. They do however have some of the more difficult to obtain stuff outside Japan. And yes, I have been in their shop and it's all peachy keen until you show them a foreign credit card.
you have some hidden agenda or are upset with something.
The shops are great, people are friendly and prices are the cheapest around.

No-one books a trip to Japan to buy an rc car when you van just order from rcmart.
But if you are in Tokyo why not pick up some cheap rc stuff?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by atomic garden
you have some hidden agenda or are upset with something.
The shops are great, people are friendly and prices are the cheapest around.

No-one books a trip to Japan to buy an rc car when you van just order from rcmart.
But if you are in Tokyo why not pick up some cheap rc stuff?
Pick up whatever you want, who cares? But it's not cheap.

Yeah, sure, I want to take over the R/C world and crown myself dictator for life of the world with cars the size of one's pinky.

I get miffed with all these stories from people who pretend they know. Well, I have been all over the place and most of these stories that sound too good to be true, well it turns out they aren't that good. You can cut the crap now.

Want cheap R/C crap? Go to Hong Kong.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I actually linked to the prices

You are just talking crap for some reason
So you don't like japanese stores no reason to spread lies and be a prick

Your main problem seems to be that in Japan some things are not like at home so it sucks
There are plenty of options to pay. if you want everything to be like home stay there, I bet no one will miss you

Last edited by atomic garden; 10-21-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You're talking about online shops, I was talking about physical shops.
Yep for sure. I was just saying that you can avoid euro tax this way.

I didn't do it this time, but I have in the past paid in a physical store when on a work trip, but arranged there and then for it to leave the country and not paid Tax as well - this was in Austria.

The rules in the UK for claiming VAT back are similar to australia as well with claiming at airport. A little bit more paperwork, but not too bad.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

stories from people who pretend they know.
You are just talking crap for some reason
So, about that 419 huh - I hear it's going to have black diffs and stuff
Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Hobby shop prices are ridiculously expensive. I'm all for supporting hobby shops, but the prices here in Japan are astronomical. I prefer to buy the kit online and support the hobby shop by buying parts and smaller items.
define "hobby shop"...

rc-champ is Tamiya MSRP -30%, they don't even sticker tag them anymore.

I find rc-champ the best, super rajikon 2nd and tamtam 3rd.

tam-tam in sagamihara was just *epic* for browsing parts

and prices were decent

As far as how Tamiya prices compare to other brands... I don't care... I have an emotional connection to the brand
Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Damn, I'd feel like a little kid in a candy store. A fat kid at that.

I got my 418 for a little over $400 from Tower when they were blowing them out. It was a steal at that price.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

i am in Akihabara 2 times a year, they sell way below tamiya prices

Current prices for new tamiya cars:

trf419 for 45300 JPY (365 euro with 10% tax)
ff-04 for 32900 JPY (265 euro with 10% tax)

shops in akihabara are all around these same prices, only the official Tamiya store in Shimbashi is more expensive, but i would suggest a visit just to check their large collection of (build) cars and models.

since the devaluation of the JPY with the new prime minister in summer 2013, japan is the cheapest place to get japanese RC cars.

taxes are very simple, sale tax (VAT) is 10%

you can check prices of the biggest akihabara store RC CHAMP here:
http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/Champ_Web_...ar/6821930.pdf

just add the 10% and pay cash in the store they don't like plastic
you will, often find package deals and extra promos in the store.
last time out i got a ta06R with titanium screw set for 26000 JPY (+-190 euro)
and an mt-4 with RX471 for 18000 JPY (+-130 euro)
however if you don't read oir speak Japanese it can be more difficult.
I find these statements to be 100% accurate...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

rc-champ (stadium) in Sagamihara was super friendly. Owner let me drive a free loaner car (despite me warning them that I was onroad guy)... "If you break it, it's ok". Almost bought a TRF503 after that

But to bring it back in line with a 419 discussion...

Tamiya needs to start doing global releases. I would by it from US retailer if it was available in similar time frame as Asian one and within some reasonable price difference. Wait 2 months and pay $200 more doesn't work these days...

Also what's everyone's thoughts on the motor mount on the 419. Looks like it's using only two adjacent holes at the bottom?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The dollar to yen ratio is good these days, so it makes sense to buy stuff from Japan. Back in the days of the 80yen to 1dollar, it was so not worth it. Buying at an actual store will get harder on your wallet when the tax rate hikes up to 10% later next year around the time the TRF420 comes out
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by torg
define "hobby shop"...

"A shop or store that sells hobby goods." - Will that suffice? lol.

Yeah, of course their going to be super friendly.They want your money, duh. On a more serious note, Japanese people are the most polite people on this planet and without a doubt foreigners always get the special treatment. We're kind of a novelty to them, since Japan is still a "pure country." ..I've been living and racing in Japan for a little more than three years and I've experienced this "gaijin treatment." I've been to big national races here in Japan and had people give me free stuff for no reason. Yokomo and various other companies would give me t-shirts, batteries, parts, pit mats, ect. Why? Because I'm a foreigner.

As for the picture of the 418 you posted, they and like the rest of the hobby world are trying to dump those kits. Everyone I've raced with have dumped their 418's and gone for different models.

As for the transactions. Japan is a cash based society, everyone walks around with 500-1000 in cash in their wallets. Old traditions die hard in this country. You can use credit cards, but it's not wholly accepted at most places. Hobby shops are usually fine with it, it just means you'll be charged a transaction fee... I think 10% in some cases. So, cash is the way to go.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
Disappointing?

4 cars in the Amain is pretty decent.

It's been quiet cause there is zero news! Better than 20 more pages of crap...!
Look what you started!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003

"A shop or store that sells hobby goods." - Will that suffice? lol.

As for the picture of the 418 you posted, they and like the rest of the hobby world are trying to dump those kits. Everyone I've raced with have dumped their 418's and gone for different models.
Just tried to figure out which hobby shops you went to because your experience is opposite from mine. But if you don't want to say which "hobby shops" you go to that is fine. It's for sure not rc-champ, super rajikon or even tam-tam. I've only found official Tamiya store in Shimbashi to be "astronomical" i.e. I paid MSRP for FF03 upgrade kit, ¥10,000 more than at rc-champ, yet still same price as US online retailer, except months sooner.

The TamTam shop photo (¥47,900) was from April'14, when the 418 was sold out everywhere in the US. I got my TRF418 at RC-Champ for ¥46,910 at launch in Dec'13. Not exactly dumping them.

TRF419 pre-order price is ¥45,278
Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

How do I preorder from RC champ when I don't read Japanese?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goin2drt
How do I preorder from RC champ when I don't read Japanese?
That's why, you need eat Sushi more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.