R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #16
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
We've found poor wear properties with Sorex, as of the last year, on asphalt.

Team Powers 34s and the EX series from Solaris are great and seem to last much longer.

My $.02.
Ethan
the asphalt track I race at is the opposite
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #17
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,172
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Must SOREX
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

From some recent running here.

Medium size low-grip asphalt outdoor track, mostly in sun. Track prep is blown off, then 2-4gal of grape soda sprayed on the drive line. Sometimes done twice, but usually just once in the morning. Temps have been ranging in the mid 80's to mid 90's, track temps higher of course as it is full sun most of the day. This track is not regularly run on or maintained, and most days we only had a few others there and not running much, so thre traction put down was put down by us (2-3 mod TC's).

Cars tested on were ARC R10, Xray T4 14, Serpent S411LE and Eryx 3.0. All running modified 4T to 4.5T. Tires were cleaned new out of the bag and between each run with SXT tire cleaner, and SXT traction compound was applied to the entire tire, then wiped off 1 minute later.
  • Solaris Medium: Good side and front grip, so so braking, good longevity, not the fastest, but consistent through the run and through the tire wearing
  • Solaris Hard: Low grip, unpredictable and inconcistent at speed.
  • Sorex 36: One of the best results, good front and side bite, good braking, normal wear (ring of death appears in 6-8 battery packs), holds true the entire run. These tires are amazing the first 2 runs, and begin to drop off after that, but remain very drivable till they are done.
  • Jaco Blue: Consistent low traction, especially on rear end. Lacking both front and side bite. New and old sets consistently do not work well as soon as the sun hits the track. On a side note, my preference for indoor carpet.
  • Sweep QTS 32: 1st and 2nd run they have good side bite, moderate front bite, but fade quickly (2-3min) and become very difficult and inconsistent. After the 2nd run, they fall off even quicker and by the 4th run they are lose all around.
  • Sweep 36EXP: Good for the first 3-4 runs before falling off. Good side bite, moderate front bite, poor performance in braking. Fell off mid run between 4-5 min, and inconsistent after that. The mid-run fall off I experience with most Sweep tires both on carpet and asphalt.
  • Team Powers 36: Good tire, amazing grip for the first 2-3 runs, with small fall off after that. Excellent front and side bite and consistent braking. Wear has been good, getting 8+ batteries without the ring of death or large fall off in grip.
  • Hot Race 32 (new Worlds version, not the pre-worlds version): Decent tires, excellent grip the first run once warmed up, rear end a little loose for the first minute or so. Grip is consistent start to finish after that (2nd run and beyond). Excellent front bite and under braking, side bite less then the Sorex and Team Powers, on par with the Solaris Med. Consistent through 8+ min, though do fall off in overall speed after the 2nd run. Ring of death appears 5-8 packs in, and becomes really loose right about that time.

Personally, I think the Team Powers, the Sorex 36, and the Solaris Mediums were all good tires. None are good for more then 8-10 battery packs (1 day of practice for us) with our track, cars and conditions. Team Powers and the Solaris do not start quite as good as the Sorex, but fall off less then the Sorex, at least to me, meaning a 6 run old Solaris seems to be better then a 6 run old Sorex.

This is all personal opinion based on my car, 2 friend's cars, and observations during 5 dedicated practice days at the same track. Hopefully it is helpful to some.

Thanks!

Grant
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #19
Tech Adept
 
5tylez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 133
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Best 1 runs tires are Sorex 32 and 36s. depending on temp. after that they drop off significantly. Just look at your tires after and you'll see them shredded. way tooo expensive to run on asphalt.

Best all round grip, with longest lifespan is hands down MuchMore Absolutes 32 or 36 depending on Temp. You can literally runs these tires till the belt and even inserts show, and you will still have a drivable car.
After each run you'll notice your tires are still smooth..
Only flaw to these pre-glued tires are the rims are brittle if you have a good crash. And you will have to Re-CA Glue your tires once you open a fresh pack, as they don't aways glue your tires properly like the other brands that come pre-glued.

I've tried Team Power and Ride as well in 36s, and in my opinion don't compare to the grip Muchmore Absolutes provide.

Link to Muchmores as reference

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDL3&P=ML



As for tire Traction I recommend Trinity Buggy Grip.
5tylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
From some recent running here.

Medium size low-grip asphalt outdoor track, mostly in sun. Track prep is blown off, then 2-4gal of grape soda sprayed on the drive line. Sometimes done twice, but usually just once in the morning. Temps have been ranging in the mid 80's to mid 90's, track temps higher of course as it is full sun most of the day. This track is not regularly run on or maintained, and most days we only had a few others there and not running much, so thre traction put down was put down by us (2-3 mod TC's).

Cars tested on were ARC R10, Xray T4 14, Serpent S411LE and Eryx 3.0. All running modified 4T to 4.5T. Tires were cleaned new out of the bag and between each run with SXT tire cleaner, and SXT traction compound was applied to the entire tire, then wiped off 1 minute later.
  • Solaris Medium: Good side and front grip, so so braking, good longevity, not the fastest, but consistent through the run and through the tire wearing
  • Solaris Hard: Low grip, unpredictable and inconcistent at speed.
  • Sorex 36: One of the best results, good front and side bite, good braking, normal wear (ring of death appears in 6-8 battery packs), holds true the entire run. These tires are amazing the first 2 runs, and begin to drop off after that, but remain very drivable till they are done.
  • Jaco Blue: Consistent low traction, especially on rear end. Lacking both front and side bite. New and old sets consistently do not work well as soon as the sun hits the track. On a side note, my preference for indoor carpet.
  • Sweep QTS 32: 1st and 2nd run they have good side bite, moderate front bite, but fade quickly (2-3min) and become very difficult and inconsistent. After the 2nd run, they fall off even quicker and by the 4th run they are lose all around.
  • Sweep 36EXP: Good for the first 3-4 runs before falling off. Good side bite, moderate front bite, poor performance in braking. Fell off mid run between 4-5 min, and inconsistent after that. The mid-run fall off I experience with most Sweep tires both on carpet and asphalt.
  • Team Powers 36: Good tire, amazing grip for the first 2-3 runs, with small fall off after that. Excellent front and side bite and consistent braking. Wear has been good, getting 8+ batteries without the ring of death or large fall off in grip.
  • Hot Race 32 (new Worlds version, not the pre-worlds version): Decent tires, excellent grip the first run once warmed up, rear end a little loose for the first minute or so. Grip is consistent start to finish after that (2nd run and beyond). Excellent front bite and under braking, side bite less then the Sorex and Team Powers, on par with the Solaris Med. Consistent through 8+ min, though do fall off in overall speed after the 2nd run. Ring of death appears 5-8 packs in, and becomes really loose right about that time.

Personally, I think the Team Powers, the Sorex 36, and the Solaris Mediums were all good tires. None are good for more then 8-10 battery packs (1 day of practice for us) with our track, cars and conditions. Team Powers and the Solaris do not start quite as good as the Sorex, but fall off less then the Sorex, at least to me, meaning a 6 run old Solaris seems to be better then a 6 run old Sorex.

This is all personal opinion based on my car, 2 friend's cars, and observations during 5 dedicated practice days at the same track. Hopefully it is helpful to some.

Thanks!

Grant
Good info
Now we just need you to try some Ride Rex34's for comparison.
Out of interest, what inserts did the Sorex have?
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,191
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tylez View Post
Best 1 runs tires are Sorex 32 and 36s. depending on temp. after that they drop off significantly. Just look at your tires after and you'll see them shredded. way tooo expensive to run on asphalt.

Best all round grip, with longest lifespan is hands down MuchMore Absolutes 32 or 36 depending on Temp. You can literally runs these tires till the belt and even inserts show, and you will still have a drivable car.
After each run you'll notice your tires are still smooth..
Only flaw to these pre-glued tires are the rims are brittle if you have a good crash. And you will have to Re-CA Glue your tires once you open a fresh pack, as they don't aways glue your tires properly like the other brands that come pre-glued.

I've tried Team Power and Ride as well in 36s, and in my opinion don't compare to the grip Muchmore Absolutes provide.

Link to Muchmores as reference

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDL3&P=ML


As for tire Traction I recommend Trinity Buggy Grip.
+1

[QUOTE=Skiddins;13478062]Good info
Now we just need you to try some Ride Rex34's for comparison.
Out of interest, what inserts did the Sorex have?[/QUOTE
I use old team powers yellow inserts. Think it's medium.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,191
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Solaris always have failed my expectations. Works for others just not me. Now that I say this it will probably be the spec tire at our next race. Lol
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Solaris always have failed my expectations. Works for others just not me. Now that I say this it will probably be the spec tire at our next race. Lol
I would agree UNTIL the 35EX came out.

That's all we run now, and the new SC profile is super sweet. I feel it's alittle less twitchy on entry than the SP profile, I like to stock both

Now my Sorex just sit, even the ones with the golden SJR inserts
__________________
MOD: A800X LRP FlowX X22 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche EVO R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
I would agree UNTIL the 35EX came out.

That's all we run now, and the new SC profile is super sweet. I feel it's alittle less twitchy on entry than the SP profile, I like to stock both

Now my Sorex just sit, even the ones with the golden SJR inserts
I think it's very track dependent. I've ran both the SP and SC35's and the SC really does work very well. It's IMO the best tire right behind the Sorex 36 at our track (Leisure Hours). The Solaris tends to grain a little that the Sorex doesn't do, they don't heat up quite as fast and they don't last quite as long. I think that is different for different tracks based on what I read here but I would say that no matter which track I went to I would reach for the Sorex or SC35 first.

That said - Have you tried the Gravity RC "A" tires? They are FAST, maybe faster than the Sorex, but don't last as long as I'd like for club racing mod TC outside.
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,191
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

For some reason I can get better traction from a 3+ race day set of Sorex than a brand new set of Solaris. I have tried the new version and they still are not good.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Posts: 954
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Wow, so running on asphalt is expensive with one set of tires per practice/race day.

I've never raced on asphalt but will be this weekend.. only been racing carpet and though I do see tire wear, I've been using the same tires for months (Sorex 28/32). I'm sure they'll slow but so am I.
__________________
...............
lagcisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Good info
Now we just need you to try some Ride Rex34's for comparison.
Out of interest, what inserts did the Sorex have?
I went through so many as we were trying options until the updated worlds tire came out. Hard to find Ride tires in the states unfortunately but I have heard good things.

Inserts were Schumacher yellows. Schumacher rims also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Solaris always have failed my expectations. Works for others just not me. Now that I say this it will probably be the spec tire at our next race. Lol
I feel the same with Sweep tires, I just cannot get them to be consistent over a 5 or 6 min run. Carpet or Asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
For some reason I can get better traction from a 3+ race day set of Sorex than a brand new set of Solaris. I have tried the new version and they still are not good.
I was hoping to find a tire that lasted 3 race days for us hehe. I am happy to be at the level where I can feel the difference between 2 run and 5 run old tires, but I hate the expense of knowing it.

On carpet, I was the guy collecting old Snowbirds Jaco's and running them till the inserts showed. Anything to run more laps and just get more time on the car. 17.5 TC on carpet is a lot more forgiving then a 4.0 on asphalt. A tire failure tends to have much worse consequences too. A set of Solaris mediums ended up splitting on me, going down the back straight, the insert actually came out of the left front, front of the chassis dug in, and the car cartwheeled the next 40+ feet of straight and into the bushes while the insert rolled along next to it. Popped a ball cup and put more scratches in my aluminum chassis then I would have preferred.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
Wow, so running on asphalt is expensive with one set of tires per practice/race day.

I've never raced on asphalt but will be this weekend.. only been racing carpet and though I do see tire wear, I've been using the same tires for months (Sorex 28/32). I'm sure they'll slow but so am I.
Again I think it's track dependent. The 17.5 guys get a bunch of time out of Sorex 36's at our track, like 4-6 race days.
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,306
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Again I think it's track dependent. The 17.5 guys get a bunch of time out of Sorex 36's at our track, like 4-6 race days.
Similar at my home track in 13.5

We get 3-5meets out of a set of rides. They seem to drop off after the first use, but then are pretty consistent up until they completely fail.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #30
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
17.5 TC on carpet is a lot more forgiving then a 4.0 on asphalt. A tire failure tends to have much worse consequences too. A set of Solaris mediums ended up splitting on me, going down the back straight, the insert actually came out of the left front, front of the chassis dug in, and the car cartwheeled the next 40+ feet of straight and into the bushes while the insert rolled along next to it. Popped a ball cup and put more scratches in my aluminum chassis then I would have preferred.
This is the other great thing about Sorex. They are the only tire I've ran in mod TC that has never failed me. Never blown out, never came apart, never came unglued. They just simply work. For reference I'm using the Schumacher premounts.
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:39 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net