R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Setup station, really needed?

Me and my son just started in onroad TC coming from 1/8 e buggy.

In buggy, I had a camber and ride height tool and that was it.

My question, what can a setup station provide me in terms of setup, that a 1/10 onroad set of droop, ride height and camber gauge tools cannot.

Is it really the measure of toe in/out, that is difficult to measure without the setup station? Or can that be measures in other ways?

My gut feeling tells me that a setup station is needed in the tenth of a millimeter world of onroad TC.

But is this so?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Nope, not needed. Get yourself some droop blocks and you're done.

Front toe is easiest measured with a steel rule. Just measure the distance between the rear edges of the two wheels, then the front edges, and the difference is your toe in millimetres.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes a ruler can be used but c'mon, you invest xxxx.xx dollars towards a car and radio. A set up station can be had for 150.00 US for a nice set of Hudy and will give excellent resolution to achieve the perfect setup. There are other brands that are a bit cheaper but still get the job done. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Yes.... you need setup station especially when measuring front toe out , rear toe in and downstop values.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Thank for your replies.

Guess I will have to buy one.

daleburr: thanks for the tip on the toe measurement, will use that for now
Old 08-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You don't have to buy one at all.

They do however make things much easier and once you're used to using it, faster.

Droop blocks are a must though, that's for sure.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Just one question about measuring droop.

If you look at the setup sheet for my car you can see that droop is measured as how much the arms are raised relative to the bottom of the car:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/setup/42270su.pdf

I have a ride height gauge that goes from 0mm to 15mm.

Can't I not just place the car flat on the chassis on an even surface and use my ride height gauge to measure the droop, as shown in the linked setup sheet?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
Just one question about measuring droop.

If you look at the setup sheet for my car you can see that droop is measured as how much the arms are raised relative to the bottom of the car:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/setup/42270su.pdf

I have a ride height gauge that goes from 0mm to 15mm.

Can't I not just place the car flat on the chassis on an even surface and use my ride height gauge to measure the droop, as shown in the linked setup sheet?
No not really. You need to use droop blocks and a proper droop gauge. It's probably one of the most vital measurements to get perfect. The droop blocks set the chassis 10mm off the ground and then the droop gauge provides the measurement referenced to group taking into account the 10mm.

And FWIW you absolutely need a setup station in 1/10 TC. You just can't accurately setup the car without one. It's best guess without I'm afraid. It's a small investment too in the grand scheme of things. Go for Hudy or Arrowmax.

I tried for a few years without a station but once I got one it made setup easier and I could really feel the difference on track.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Just borrow one for the once a day at most you might need it. Spend the money on better actual stuff. Setup tools should always be secondary purchase. Just make friend with someone who has one.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I have seen racers "eyeball" their settings and think they were pretty close...... until they put the car on the guages. Don't leave home without it.
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It's a must, yes I'm sure you can use a scale and other contraption to get it close. I can't see myself not ever owning one, to me its part of racing onroad and it's essential as anything else.
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not only do you need one but you'll need to use it track-side between heats if there is a lot of bumping and banging. It's not uncommon to knock adjustment out of whack. I find that the car can need fine adjustments between heats even without major contact with others.

To ensure a consistent, predictable, feel every time out set the car up on a set-up station. You'll eventually find the proper camber and toe settings that best fit your driving style and local track conditions.

Oo=00=oO
OttoKrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lot of pro racers use a stainless steel ruler and ride height gauge. Setup station is not essential but it can be easier remember that they are only as good as the user.

Ps measure droop to the pin no need for droop blocks and more accurate.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote