R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)
Default How to get faster!!!

Hi guys,
Does anyone know how Masami, Surikan, Hara, Rheinard and so on get so fast? Do they practice more, or get together and have group practices or what? Do they have better competion or tracks? Surley they cant be born with it. (can they )
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how Masami, Surikan, Hara, Rheinard and so on get so fast? Do they practice more, or get together and have group practices or what? Do they have better competion or tracks? Surley they cant be born with it. (can they )
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah to a certain degree they are born with the natural hand eye coordination needed then it's living RC racing to get to that level. Anyone that practices alot will get better,but it takes more than practice to be as good as they are.
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Tech Master

they dont go to school or have a regular job. thats why they concentrate on rc. if u eat,breath and poop rc u can be as good.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
Tech Adept

i heard that ashuri practises at least 3 days a week minimam(usually more! and that all day. is that correct?
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Tech Master

Kinwald used to be at the track 5 to 6 days a week all day long testing and practicing.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Tech Addict

....Yeah, and I think it helps if you kinda started when you were 3 years old !

....Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, you know what I mean ?
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Kinwald used to be at the track 5 to 6 days a week all day long testing and practicing.
Man, I'd love to be able to do that sometimes. I'm lucky if I can get to the track once a week. I probably won't be able to get out until November now because of my schedule
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Man, I'd probably burn out after doing that for a while.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I used to go to practice every week, then after that I went to racing about 4 times once every 2 weeks, now im gonna try going to practice more to get better.
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Keep in mind Craig that most of the top pro's are also employed by thier respective factories and often do a lot of the team's R&D, so I guess it is feasable that they can practice every day - if not most days.

That last race at Littlehampton last weekend was a lot of fun though, if we did that more often it would improve all our driving

I've read also that if someone was to race 19t or mod at club level, they'll do better in stock at bigger meetings because you've trained your brain for the faster reaction times needed in the faster classes making stock seem slow.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Here's a quick few pointers on how to be fast. One set up the car well. You need it too be consisent from point A to point B and be able to drive it at a consisent pace to put down those times. (Ex. running say 10 secs a lap is consisent and not 12.5 18.56 and so forth.) Two learn to drive that set up. Nothing is worse then a car that you can't drive. PRACTICE is the only way to be fast. If you race at a track a week, learn to drive that track in as much freetime as you have. (Just remember if the track crew changes the track your screwed!) Fast batteries and motors do help BUT not a lot. Buy what you can not the newist bestest thing around. Keep your car clean and FREE! A free drivetrain allows for a smoother drivetrain. This allows the motor to spin up quicker and more effient. Also don't forget to PRACTICE! Without this you can't be fast. Race as much as you can to help. The more you race the better you can get over time. Also the more you do it, you are able to ran with the competition and not worry as much (if you ever did) about crashing or about traffic. Running with the "big dogs" helps to b/c you are forced to run fast at a consistent pace to keep up. Simple put the more you run the better the chances of becoming fast happen. Just remember keep at the hobby don't ever give up, you will be fast someday, just keep trying. Being fast takes some people years of racing. Some just have it within a few years. Just keep at it like I said and way you go. Best of luck is all I can say too you.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would practice more if I had my own team of marshalls to follow me around, I hate that walk of shame from the driver's stand to my car on it's lid.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Try to race at different tracks. Or atleast one that that is very competitive. A few months ago, I traveled a long way to race stock at a track I had never attended before. The racing there was a lot tighter than my local track. I lost a few spots on the grid b/c my best run had 2 slower than average laps. But every lap was clean. Where as, before I would be dissed if I had 2-3 minor wrecks. Even the top half of the Amain ran laps within the same tenths of a second. When I came back to my local track, I felt like I had improved. Not a lot, but I became more consistant b/c I focused on running perfect laps, not just clean laps. Point is, close racing changes your mentality. And having a better frame of mind makes you faster.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best racers in the world win because they are the fastest in the corners and they don't crash as much.
Anybody can gun it down a straightaway, its when you get to the corners and passing that great drivers are made.
Its all reaction and a lot of practice.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
Tech Elite

IMO, it takes passion, practice and the right principles.

Passion to "drive" you on when you've been up for 24+ hours to prep your car overnight for a weekday TESTING session at the track AFTER eight hours on your job. Practice, practice, practice will develop better hand/eye coordination and quick decision making. Principles regarding chassis dynamics, track characteristics, driving fundamentals and racing strategy from experienced drivers will pull the whole package together.

I'm an engineer at heart. I love (passion) tearing apart, figuring out and re-building anything. Wonder why I got sucked into RC?

This time last year was my first time ever racing a TC and I was hittin boards and other cars all day long. My first ever RC vehicle, a Traxxas Rustler, was bought only four months earlier. But soon after I started racing, I was put on medical leave for 2 1/2 months late last year and then, unfortunately, I was out of work for 5 months earlier this year. I didn't want to sit around the house and get out of a "working" rhythm, so I spent 40 hours a week on research, maintenance and track time (practice) in the hobby to keep myself in a working mode. That's almost 1300 hours, with probably 100 of that being track time. Most people only put in 30 to 50 hours of track time and 300 to 500 hours of research & maintenance in an entire year. You might as well say I condensed two to three years of experience into little more than half a year. But being out of work was not fun at all.

When I used to be wild and raced cars (78 Malibu w/455 rocket , 93 civic, 84 BMW 325 - don't sleep) and motorcycles (95 zx6r, 96 900rr, 99 Muzzy zx9r), the first few times above 120mph was like looking through a straw and everything was too fast. But after a few weeks and many miles of 170+mph on a bike, 120mph felt like I was "cruisin" swiftly and 90mph was simply too slow. For RC, a few months of running 9 singles on our high grip carpet track was enough to make hitting apex's using a stock motor seem like slow motion. My first ever podium (3rd) in a stock A main came last December after the first 2 1/2 months of leave. But consistency in qualifying for the stock A main didn't come until April of this year after I had put in a lot of practice/racing track time running mod motors for two months, while out of work.

But I have to give A LOT of credit to a few local fast guys that actually took the time to teach me the commonly "unspoken" principles that made a huge difference in both my car setups and driving skills. Now everything they taught me didn't necessarily matched up well with my setup preference and driving style. But more than several tidbits of their advice on a setup option here, or a way of driving there, made all the difference in the ability, more than once, to win an A main after showing up late enough to only run the last qualifier and start from the BACK of the grid in the main.

Now for those of you who are perturbed by my long windedness...
...Didn't you already know this? I'm curious to find out what made you read the whole thing anyway.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote