R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Servo Voltage Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/82946-servo-voltage-question.html)

StephenSobottka 09-02-2005 04:54 PM

Servo Voltage Question

I have a futaba 9650 servo in my 1/12 scale and was wondering can it handle more than 6 volts? I looked on the futaba website and could not find anything about it or on great planes web info. Thanks in advance.

Kevin K 09-02-2005 05:19 PM

Stephen.....In my experiences with servos yes they can take more voltage but the life expectancy was shorter. The bigger question is will your receiver allow more then 6 volts to pass through it with out issues. I have not done anything like this in years but in the past most times the receiver had more voltage then it needed it caused some glitching until the voltage dropped. If I'm not mistaken I think most receivers regulate the voltage at 6 volts or less regardless of the input. That’s why some higher power servos IE 7.2v rated ones run off battery pack through the extra fet wire on the ESC or the power lead from the battery.

dakrat 09-02-2005 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by StephenSobottka
I have a futaba 9650 servo in my 1/12 scale and was wondering can it handle more than 6 volts? I looked on the futaba website and could not find anything about it or on great planes web info. Thanks in advance.

why would u want more than 6v in a 12th :confused: ?

StephenSobottka 09-02-2005 07:28 PM

Kevin- DSM handles up to 9.6 no prob ;) :nod:

Turbo Joe 09-02-2005 08:13 PM

I run a 7.2 reciever pack from a park flyer in my TNX with Futaba (Tamiya) servos...no problem here...

RandomFellow 09-02-2005 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Stephen.....In my experiences with servos yes they can take more voltage but the life expectancy was shorter. The bigger question is will your receiver allow more then 6 volts to pass through it with out issues. I have not done anything like this in years but in the past most times the receiver had more voltage then it needed it caused some glitching until the voltage dropped. If I'm not mistaken I think most receivers regulate the voltage at 6 volts or less regardless of the input. That’s why some higher power servos IE 7.2v rated ones run off battery pack through the extra fet wire on the ESC or the power lead from the battery.

Actually, only some receivers have BEC (cuts voltage to servo at 6.0 volts). AND, you also have to worry about whether your ESC is even letting the current through (your low to mid-end ESCs cut voltage to the receiver at 5.0 volts or less). However, since you are running 1/12th scale, I assume you have a receiver pack, so the ESC issue isn't a problem, just the receiver. You really should stick to 6.0 volts to avoid any overheating/melting/siezing issues.