R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Is foam TC still big in the USA?

Simple enough question really, just curious if it's been replaced with rubber tires like the most other places these days.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Foam has gone by the wayside for a few years now. Rubber tire is the norm. I think the last time we ran foam tire TC at our local track was 2009-2010ish. Some other tracks might have stuck it out a bit longer but at the big events there are no foam TC classes anymore.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Rubber seems to be the trend here too,not breaking my heart any though since I think they look better.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I guess there could still be places here in the US where foams are run, but I haven't really seen or heard much talk about TC's on foam tires in quite a while -

Most "BIG" races seem to be using a handout or spec rubber tire, and a lot of club races seem to follow that up with using the same tire at club races so racers can practice on that particular tire.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I did have a look over the IIC and Snowbirds rules, they mentioned handout tires so I assumed it had went the way of rubbers. Just been racing foam the last few weeks at my local club, so much fun compared to rubbers. I know foam racing is pretty much dead in the UK for TC, I was hoping you guys hadn't went the same way.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wish it would go back to foams
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Wish it would go back to foams
Wouldn't be bad if it was a spec foam tire that lasted a few weeks, like WGT. Open foam tires is was just about killed TC completely. One run super soft foam tires got way too expensive if you didn't get free tires from a sponsor. TC popularity exploded in the first place due to a)cheap, competitive TC kits like the TC3 Racer kit, and b) plaid and purple foam tires that could be run for a month of club racing.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Foams were great for traction, horrible for the wallet. For me constantly adjusting the suspension and gearing to compensate for tire wear was a huge pain in the arse. The alternative was getting and truing nee tires every couple of runs. Rubber tire is the way to go for the average guy.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

www.e-teamhobbyplex.com or www.facebook.com/pages/E-Team-Hobbyplex

There is some great TC Foam racing at the e-teamhobbyplex in Fort Collins, CO

Lowell and Debbie put on great races. The track gets changed up every 6-8 weeks or so. They have top National racers that come visit often and we have some regulars that are competitive top local regional and National drivers that developed their skills from racing the e-teamhobbyplex.

Top classes that are current now are 21.5 TC Foam, 17.5 TC Rubber, 13.5 TC Foam, 12 scale, F1, WGT, Vintage and Mini. They also provide short course and oval as well. They are open to try new classes to keep this fresh. Some things catch on some don't.

Personally I was hesitant switching over to racing foam but have grown to really enjoy it. I can usually go 4-6 weeks on a set of foams before having to replace. The constant adjustments and tuning just adds another element of the racing. I feel this also adds to increasing set up and driving skills. There are so many variables that contribute to a good or bad day of racing. With a full-time job, wife and child I'm lucky to even get an hour of free time during the week to mess around with the cars for tuning and/or testing. Classes I run are TC 21.5 Foam, TC 13.5 Foam and WGT. On occasion Mini.

It's fun, give it a try.
RielTime Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Foams were great for traction, horrible for the wallet. For me constantly adjusting the suspension and gearing to compensate for tire wear was a huge pain in the arse. The alternative was getting and truing nee tires every couple of runs. Rubber tire is the way to go for the average guy.
^^^This... I don't miss foam TC one bit. When I get the urge to run a foam-tired car, 1/12 scale satisfies that need.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I know foam racing is pretty much dead in the UK for TC.
Agreed, the club I race at is possibly one of the last in the UK to still use foam for TC.

We use any compound but the harder tyres work better (37 shore) as we race on a small, high traction carpet track. (Go lower and you grip roll much easier).

When a set of foam tyres cost 10, (against 20+ for rubber) most of our club members don't mind the occasional chunked tyre and resetting the droop / ride height.

We have raced foam tyres for years and unless something major happens where it's not feasible to use foam tyres anymore I do not see the change being made soon.

(You can use rubber tyre at where I race if you want to, but it's nowhere as quick). We are not completely anti rubber tyre because that would be the wrong stance for a club to take.

That said I do understand why foam tyre is a dying class for TC.

It's "another thing/hassle to do" whilst racing, just like the brushed motors were....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Agreed, the club I race at is possibly one of the last in the UK to still use foam for TC.

We use any compound but the harder tyres work better (37 shore) as we race on a small, high traction carpet track. (Go lower and you grip roll much easier).

When a set of foam tyres cost 10, (against 20+ for rubber) most of our club members don't mind the occasional chunked tyre and resetting the droop / ride height.

We have raced foam tyres for years and unless something major happens where it's not feasible to use foam tyres anymore I do not see the change being made soon.

(You can use rubber tyre at where I race if you want to, but it's nowhere as quick). We are not completely anti rubber tyre because that would be the wrong stance for a club to take.

That said I do understand why foam tyre is a dying class for TC.

It's "another thing/hassle to do" whilst racing, just like the brushed motors were....
Yep our club raced Foam TC for years, until a couple of years ago. The main issue is that they were a bind for new drivers, and when chunking etc was factored in they were not that cheap overall.

A few of the top drivers moved onto rubber tyres and we dropped about 10% in overall race pace initially, but as we got to tune the cars and learn the rubber tyres nuiances the times soon increased. To be honest we are not far of the times we used to set before, but the cars have much less wear and tear, the driver lines are better, the cars dont have as many high impact commisions (Charging to the apex on full grip) and its also much cheaper with a set of rubbers (32's) lasting well for at least 8-10 race meetings. Plus new guys just get given an old set of tyres so they can easily race around as they dont need the extra edge of a minty set of tyres.

Sometimes I do miss them, but I doubt the club will never go back now.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Wouldn't be bad if it was a spec foam tire that lasted a few weeks, like WGT. Open foam tires is was just about killed TC completely. One run super soft foam tires got way too expensive if you didn't get free tires from a sponsor. TC popularity exploded in the first place due to a)cheap, competitive TC kits like the TC3 Racer kit, and b) plaid and purple foam tires that could be run for a month of club racing.
^^THIS.

If there had been plaid and purple spec tires on 50mm rims we would still be racing foam.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #14
Tech Champion

We are what we are at the end of the day.

Convenience always wins over the majority, the minority will always be there sticking to the way they want to race.

Neither way is "right" per say, it's a club decision

Over time I decided club politics is one thing to shy away (from making an individual stance of a situation) unless you need to vote.

I go racing to... go racing Not to try and change something that "might" be broken.

IF our club decided on a dime that it would now be rubber tyres only (unlikely) I wouldn't challenge it because it's a new start for everyone to adapt to which can lead to an interesting transition and a possible change to the typical fastest to slowest grid line up

Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
^^THIS.

If there had been plaid and purple spec tires on 50mm rims we would still be racing foam.
I think that's the main reason why we still race foam. We can't use silly soft compounds because of grip roll on a small track where you need a lot of rotation, it works in our favour. too much speed/grip around the tighter corners and its game over.

37 shore is the lowest I have seen anyone go, and that's on the rear to stop the back end getting loose.