R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

hi guys, here in Australia rubber is near universally the choice for 1/10 TC ,
however i belong to a club in Sydney where we race on a large outdoor track and we have a special outlaw class, effectively mod TC but foams and lola/pan type bodies, the grip generated by these cars is unreal!. tyres do last because if we soften up the shores too much the cars don't turn in very well, we use 26mm fronts and either 30mm or in some case 45mm rears!.
we are the minority,.. but the fastest!
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Agreed, the club I race at is possibly one of the last in the UK to still use foam for TC.

We use any compound but the harder tyres work better (37 shore) as we race on a small, high traction carpet track. (Go lower and you grip roll much easier).

When a set of foam tyres cost 10, (against 20+ for rubber) most of our club members don't mind the occasional chunked tyre and resetting the droop / ride height.

We have raced foam tyres for years and unless something major happens where it's not feasible to use foam tyres anymore I do not see the change being made soon.

(You can use rubber tyre at where I race if you want to, but it's nowhere as quick). We are not completely anti rubber tyre because that would be the wrong stance for a club to take.

That said I do understand why foam tyre is a dying class for TC.

It's "another thing/hassle to do" whilst racing, just like the brushed motors were....
Pretty much the same at my club, we have never banned foams but very few still run them. Personally I have three foam TC's which are much more fun, consistent and predictable to drive compared to rubbers. Yes I loose out of speed due to the friction difference between foam/rubber but hey my wear and tear outside of tires is tiny as it's diff's front and rear 42/37 is my regular shore rating as well tc3team.

We did used to have a winter carpet series in Scotland about 10 years ago now and the first few years it was ace, spec tires that were marked so the racing was close but loosing the local shop support lost the spec tire, dwindling numbers lost the foams and it was switched to rubbers with very few racers left in the 'premier' class so to speak.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Pretty much the same at my club, we have never banned foams but very few still run them. Personally I have three foam TC's which are much more fun, consistent and predictable to drive compared to rubbers. Yes I loose out of speed due to the friction difference between foam/rubber but hey my wear and tear outside of tires is tiny as it's diff's front and rear 42/37 is my regular shore rating as well tc3team.

We did used to have a winter carpet series in Scotland about 10 years ago now and the first few years it was ace, spec tires that were marked so the racing was close but loosing the local shop support lost the spec tire, dwindling numbers lost the foams and it was switched to rubbers with very few racers left in the 'premier' class so to speak.
Nice to hear Yes, 99% of our club use double diff too, many have tried a spool but it's too aggressive to use consistently.

I use 42/40 but sometimes 40/37 if i'm searching for a little more grip. Sometimes a 30mm rear tyre also helps but a lot of the modern cars (such as the t4) need bigger offset hexes to accommodate a wider tyre.

To concur, I do think it's good for clubs to occasionally have a small foam tyre championship if they are a predominantly a rubber tyre club and they can get a reliable source of tyres for it.

It teaches you a different aspect of racing, changing the car setup as the foams wear and the setup in other elements isn't so critical - harder springs (especially the front) and droop settings being the main difference, let the tyres and your chosen additive do the work.

Foam tyres were killed off by the guys who could afford the tyre bill and went overkill with the truing, super soft compounds, crashing too much and chunking the tyre etc etc.

Speeds and torque levels were a bit lower years ago as we didn't have superfast brushless motors, which made foam tyres for the average racer a bit more affordable and the wear rate more manageable.

Fast forward to 2014 and I (and the rest of the club members I race with) are still managing to buy 2 pairs of foam tyres for 10 BNIP, very good value IMO. We use 13.5 blinky or 17.5 turbo and the tyre wear, despite being indoors on a tight track is still quite reasonable.

Foam is almost non existent in the UK now, but for the guys that still race it, they still do because they understand its a fun way to race, with a cheap tyre

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....

Last edited by tc3team; 08-08-2014 at 02:42 AM.
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #19
Regional Moderator

It's amazing how fast a boosted 17.5 TC is on foams. At the Halloween Classic a few years ago, several of us amateurs were faster in the 17.5 foam class than big name pros were in mod rubber.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
It's amazing how fast a boosted 17.5 TC is on foams. At the Halloween Classic a few years ago, several of us amateurs were faster in the 17.5 foam class than big name pros were in mod rubber.
With the motor timing cranked up or turbo yes, I could believe that.

However, on a small track the speed is wasted, torque seems to be the better option.

13.5 boosted is very, very quick indoors. It was overkill on a 10x15m track.

Powersliding a 4wd touring car on a sweeping corner seemed normal until we outlawed it

13.5 blinky against 17.5 turbo though is very close on our track, so that's where we are at now for 2014.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I remember looking at results from Vegas a few years back when brushed motors was still a thing and the stock foam TQ time was 8-9 seconds faster then mod rubber. Can only imagine the gap now. Foam TC was so much fun and I do miss it once and a while, but for the sake of racing it should be left dead. We already have to much diversity in racing (whether it be onroad or off), but with that being said I would like to see what a modified foam tire car could do with today's technology.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Imagine mod foam TC with boosted 3.5's and gear diffs front and rear...
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

And then imagine the Awesomatix in foam TC. Oh my.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe foam TC could be run as an exhibition class at a big event, like one qualifier and one main.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Was running a local hobby shop parking lot race and tried foam tires on my usgt car as i was racing against mostly 7.5 to 10.5 cars with my 21.5 motored car and was .3 sec fasted per lap, they could still pass on the straight if they could keep it going in the right direction but i ruled the infield!
Solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #26
Tech Champion

For the clubs who still race foam, keep at it until your racers dictate it's no longer viable.

For the outsiders, don't knock it until you try it and if you already have tried it, occasionally it's good to go back.

I still remember racing my tc3 on foams with a stock motor....

Then I remember putting a 13 triple in it Insane.