R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Getting the most out of my Yokomo bd7 Black Edition

Hi Everyone.

I am new to the hobby and have just purchased my first car, A Yokomo BD7 Black Edition.
I had my first race meet last weekend and didn't do to bad.
My question is... How do I get the most out of my car ? I am in the 21.5T Blinky class.
The track we run on recommends an FDR of 2.9 to 3.2 .
I am running a LRP K7 Vector Brushless..... Hobby Wing ESC.... Savox 1251 Servo... Turnigy Nanotech 5.6 Batteries... My Pinion is a 45 and my Spur is a 68 which from what I've been told gives me a FDR of 3.02.
I know this is within the clubs FDR rules for this class but I am getting swallowed up along the straights of all places...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and happy Racing.
KHANAGE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Nice. Way overkill for 21.5 though.

Not all 21.5 motors are equal.

You need to find your motor's point of best efficiency (by that I don't mean electrical efficiency, but the best point for your track - you might want your motor for maximum power if you have long straights and few sweeping corners, or torque if you have many corners and short straights) and keep the gearing there.

Some timing adjustment might be needed on the motor as well.

Best get someone at the track to help you, we're shooting in the dark here.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't see any timing adjustment on those motors, from looking at some pictures of them. Might be stuck with fixed timing on that one. That is definitely not ideal for any stock class where the other racers have adjustable timing on their motors.

Aside from the motor, which you may not be able to do much about without getting a different one, make sure your whole driveline has very little resistance (belts aren't too tight, no gritty or seized bearings, etc), but it's probably the motor.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The LRP has some inserts for the sensor wire plug that change thus altering timing (see the difference):

http://www.petitrc.com/Tech/XRC_LRPV...or/pics/02.jpg
http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...ectorX20-2.jpg
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/pics/lrp50622.jpg

LRP is a good motor, just got to work out its best performance point for the track. If he was racing a class with limited gearing it may be a problem, otherwise it shouldn't be.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At least that design is probably cheaper to change the timing than those Speed Passion motors where you have to change the whole sensor board. It's ok for mod, but it's a stupid design for any stock class motor. It looks like there are only a few set positions and no external indication of how many degrees they are. Bad design.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Tech Master

Depends on how bad it is at your track(or lack of teching), but some guys have connections to get slightly out of spec stuff if you know what I mean Some buy rotors (lots of them) and test each one to get the best magnetism (I call them the shot gunners and money is not an objective ). If you wondered why you get blown away out the turn or on the straight, those are most likely the reason.

Well before any of that will affect you, just make sure everything on the car is mechanically working fine. Not sure how those inserts will affect the timing on the car, but I would try those out first before going out for a new motor.

Also, I find this to be a pretty good guide on the different adjustments on a TC.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=6143
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone who posted. I will be checking out some options for the Brushless motor...
KHANAGE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Looks like the LRP K7 doesn't have timing adjustment (it's a budget motor and not the same as the X12 and X20 which do have adjustable timing).

If the rules allow different motors then I am sure that the motor is holding you back, timing advance is worth a lot of speed in blinky.

If everyone is running the same motor, then you probably need to do a little fine tuning of the gear ratio. Also, if you are a new driver, you probably aren't carrying as much speed through the corners, and more speed through the corners means more speed on the straights.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote