R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to slotracer577

how does the D4 compare to the Vulcan? Testing so far suggests the vulcan might be slightly better (13.5).
slotracer577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #17
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I believe results will vary from one motor to the next....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Bert, if there is ANYBODY who you should NOT second guess on RCTech, it's EA.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
Suspended

Smile

Wow...... You mean the Vulcan with a 12.5mm rotor???
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
how does the D4 compare to the Vulcan? Testing so far suggests the vulcan might be slightly better (13.5).
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by jakespeed; 07-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.
jakespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespeed View Post
The resistance meter will show which motor is better!
Where do you get one of those?
neu2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
A Turbo dyno converted for BL motors and also a chassis dyno used for oval racing.

EA
Thanks I had one of those before I switched over to the Fantom Dyno which I'm using for BL motors now. Hope the D4 has a much smaller amp draw than the R1. The R1 21.5 motor is off the chart in just about every category including amp draw, which is a big drawback when you run 12 minute mains in USGT.

BTW Did you has some association with ORCA motors? I'm looking for a replacement sensor board that I fried trying to get my dyno working.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Thanks I had one of those before I switched over to the Fantom Dyno which I'm using for BL motors now. Hope the D4 has a much smaller amp draw than the R1. The R1 21.5 motor is off the chart in just about every category including amp draw, which is a big drawback when you run 12 minute mains in USGT.

BTW Did you has some association with ORCA motors? I'm looking for a replacement sensor board that I fried trying to get my dyno working.
John,

Yes I am the US distributor for ORCA. Email me at [email protected] and I have them here.

Thanks
EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I don't see where your quote about the resistance meter comes from in this thread, but how would a resistance meter tell someone which motor is better if they have different rotors (e.g., a high RPM rotor Verse a super high torque rotor)? My kill shot motors look quite different on the dyno with these rotors (both in RPM, torque and amp draw).
Old 07-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

buddy of mine runs an R1 I run a D4. 17.5 laptimes are very identical but I can say the R1 will creep on the straightaway and D4 holds its own in the infield. Both awesome motors from what I see.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
buddy of mine runs an R1 I run a D4. 17.5 laptimes are very identical but I can say the R1 will creep on the straightaway and D4 holds its own in the infield. Both awesome motors from what I see.
Great honest feedback based on experience with each. Looking forward to seeing how the track testing comes back from EA.

I haven't tried the D4 as of yet but I have run the R1 and the D3.5 Maxzilla and they are both pretty close as far as top end is concerned but I do feel that the Maxzilla has a definite torque advantage. It seems to have less trouble getting over the large double easier as well as more pick up out of the corners. Curious to see how the D4 compares.
Jade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
I don't see where your quote about the resistance meter comes from in this thread, but how would a resistance meter tell someone which motor is better if they have different rotors (e.g., a high RPM rotor Verse a super high torque rotor)? My kill shot motors look quite different on the dyno with these rotors (both in RPM, torque and amp draw).

The lowest resistance stator will win with all other things being equal! Equal means both motors tuned to the max for the class with car and driving being the same for both motors. Rotors are tuning tools, normally you would want the highest magnetic strength rotor you can get for Blinky type racing. Stronger the rotor, faster the motor gets back to top rpm. Of course a very wide open track you will be able to use a lower strength rotor due to never getting off the throttle.

Lower the resistance of the stator the more RPM the motor will have! A motor that is .3ohms lower than another motor can be as much as 300rpm more under load! Even a 100 rpm is a bunch in a brushless motor!

But, most of us includes me will not see the difference is a couple of points in a ohm reading. Why you ask, because if you can't run perfect laps every lap the benefit of a better motor will be lost in the first crash!!!! So pick your favorite motor and go have fun!

One brand of motor may not be perfect for every track, this is why they allow us to practice!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neu2this View Post
Where do you get one of those?

http://racersmeasurementsystems.com/main.sc
Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The lowest resistance stator will win with all other things being equal! Equal means both motors tuned to the max for the class with car and driving being the same for both motors. Rotors are tuning tools, normally you would want the highest magnetic strength rotor you can get for Blinky type racing. Stronger the rotor, faster the motor gets back to top rpm. Of course a very wide open track you will be able to use a lower strength rotor due to never getting off the throttle.

Lower the resistance of the stator the more RPM the motor will have! A motor that is .3ohms lower than another motor can be as much as 300rpm more under load! Even a 100 rpm is a bunch in a brushless motor!

But, most of us includes me will not see the difference is a couple of points in a ohm reading. Why you ask, because if you can't run perfect laps every lap the benefit of a better motor will be lost in the first crash!!!! So pick your favorite motor and go have fun!

One brand of motor may not be perfect for every track, this is why they allow us to practice!
kinda of the point of my original comment - an ohm meter doesn't say much about the rotor strengh. However with motors in the same class being geared from 3.1 to 3.7FDR on the same track and all having within 0.5 second lap times I suspect there may be more than 100 rpm difference in those motors. The data logger on my ESC says there is ~3K RPM difference between the Tekin and R1 21.5 motors in my USGT car.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 08-03-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So small high grip carpet Blinky 21.5 and 13.5. What motors would you recommend ?
Atechbh is offline   Reply With Quote