MikeGozz's HPI RS4 Mini Pro Electric >

MikeGozz's HPI RS4 Mini Pro Electric

Like Tree2Likes

MikeGozz's HPI RS4 Mini Pro Electric

Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default MikeGozz's HPI RS4 Mini Pro Electric

So I'm a old school HPI RS4 lover/collector. I have a Super Electric, a Rally. an original Pro (which is actually my 1st true hobby grade RC) and most recently I have been getting into the RS4 Mini Electrics. I also have a WR8 for my daily bashing/rally running.

The RS4 Mini electric is basically a shrunk down, mini 1:10 or 1:12 scale RS4. It has a shorter chassis and narrower a-arms. It shares all other parts with the regular RS4, which makes it a good choice for me because I have plenty of spares and hop ups in my parts boxes...

Anyway I recently picked up a Mini Pro (the coveted rare woven graphite version), I have been rocking a regular Mini for the past 6 months or so and when the opportunity arose to pick this up I jumped on it.

When I picked it up it was fitted with a pretty nice Honda Civic body and wheels. It was pretty sharp but I had other plans.

The chassis was in great condition with minimal wear, it looked like it had only been run a number of times.

Off the bat I started to transfer all my electronics and goodies from my other Mini to the new chassis. The parts consisted of a brushless combo (Sidewinder/Tekin 6300kv!, I'm looking into a sensored combo because this is some kind of overkill), Savox SC1251MG servo, HPI alloy finned heat skink motor plate, a Robinson Racing alloy spur gear hub, a HPI Cup Racer T-Drift wheel set and miscellaneous bits that kind of dressed it up a bit.

The result was a pretty sweet little Mini RS4.

The next step was to finally pull out and paint up the HPI Cup Racer Datsun 510 body set I had been sitting on for a year and a half. The Cup Racer shares the same dimensions as the RS4 Mini and installing the body set and wheels basically give you a sweet true ten scale HPI belt drive car ;-)

I decided to test fit the body and mark the post holes, funny enough that turned into me full on painting and finishing the body.

I masked it up and set up my paint station (drop cloth and a fan in the basement window).

Here is the 1st coat sprayed.

And here it is before stickers, at this point I'm getting psyched! It is looking great.

And finally yesterday I finished it up! The body set is really nice, containing LED brackets for the front and rear and chrome bits all around.

It looks sweet with the 3mm rear/ 0mm front wheels set.

One more shot, I'm looking forward to running it and knocking the mirrors off ;-)

What do you all think?

Mike
Backyard RC likes this.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks very nice, makes me want to get out my mini!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TimmyMontoya
Looks very nice, makes me want to get out my mini!
Thanks! I really like the older HPI stuff.

What kind of mini are you running? Do you have any spares for it? I've been looking high and low for a servo saver set for this...

I'm in need of the belt tensioner part pictured in the lower right of the parts tree.

It allows you to adjust the belt so it will clear a hard case 2s lipo.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Very nice project! That Datsun 510 body looks so good, you really captured it's spirit.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Very nice project! That Datsun 510 body looks so good, you really captured it's spirit.
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I was going for a stock sleeper look. When I drive it around I'm going to imagine it is fitted with a SR20DET, some big brembo brakes and a nice Koni suspension, probably exactly as I'd set one up in real life if I had the funds to ;-)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I was going for a stock sleeper look. When I drive it around I'm going to imagine it is fitted with a SR20DET, some big brembo brakes and a nice Koni suspension, probably exactly as I'd set one up in real life if I had the funds to ;-)

Nice, that's a great image!

I just ordered a HPI BMW 2002 Turbo body, as such the timing of this thread is perfect!

Looks like I need to find a chassis for it Maybe another Tamiya TT-01?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry, double post for some strange reason.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Nice, that's a great image!

I just ordered a HPI BMW 2002 Turbo body, as such the timing of this thread is perfect!

Looks like I need to find a chassis for it Maybe another Tamiya TT-01?
Nice, the 2002 body set is also really nice. You know it has a 225mm wheelbase right? You will need to fit it to a m05 (m01?) or something similar. The tt01 has a 260 (or 259) mm wheelbase.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Nice, the 2002 body set is also really nice. You know it has a 225mm wheelbase right? You will need to fit it to a m05 (m01?) or something similar. The tt01 has a 260 (or 259) mm wheelbase.
I do now... I bought it from the heart before researching it. I then read your thread here and it started to come in focus.

SO it looks like a new project for me here to find a Cup Racer or now M05 or M01 as you say.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

That's understandable ;-) It is a sweet looking body set.

If you are interested in reading a bit about the different Mini 1:10 chassis on the market check out BillDeLong's thread over on Ultimate RC- http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195461

He did a great job reviewing the different ones out there and it will probably give you an idea on what you want to look for.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Awesome Mike! Thanks! Lots of great information there. I'm sure to find something for this project

This thread has been a great resource experience!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

No problem, Glad to help.

So I had all my RS4s out today and I decided to take some pictures. The following are the HPI RS4 Mini Pro, an original RS4 Pro and the one and only, amazing, HPI RS4 Super Electric Enjoy!

Here are the chassis-

And finally here they all are with my son's RS4 Rally and their younger cousin, the WR8...

I'll do a similar photo shoot including all the chassis with their bodies once I get the WRX painted up for the Super EP, at this time the Lancer body is doing double duty between the WR8 and the Super.

Now I just want some time to drive them all!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

I would want to drive them all as well Nice collection!

No problem, Glad to help.

So I had all my RS4s out today and I decided to take some pictures. The following are the HPI RS4 Mini Pro, an original RS4 Pro and the one and only, amazing, HPI RS4 Super Electric Enjoy!

And finally here they all are with my son's RS4 Rally and their younger cousin, the WR8...

I'll do a similar photo shoot including all the chassis with their bodies once I get the WRX painted up for the Super EP, at this time the Lancer body is doing double duty between the WR8 and the Super.

Now I just want some time to drive them all!

So in the photo above, left to right, its 1/8th, 1/8th, 1/10th, 1/10th then 1/10th mini? I never realized they were so small.....

I read over Billidelong's review. The 2 chassis I'm interested in is the Nanda NRX12 and the RC Atomic VMII. However they are both 210mm wheel base. Reading further in to Billi's thread he indicated he reversed the arms on the NRX12 to attain 220mm. I'm not sure how well this will fit into the 225mm of the BMW 2002. I may wait until I get the body first then measure around to see how it may fit.

Or just try to find a HPI cup, or just make my own custom 2WD pan chassis form another kit.....
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

I would want to drive them all as well Nice collection!
Thanks. I got a few runs in today with the Super EP.

Check it out- http://youtu.be/tMjzTtJm7Qg

I put on a set of HPI Belted 2.2" Super RS4 wheels and once they warm up they start squealing when you cut the wheel hard, just like a real car. It is pretty cool.

So in the photo above, left to right, its 1/8th, 1/8th, 1/10th, 1/10th then 1/10th mini? I never realized they were so small.....

I read over Billidelong's review. The 2 chassis I'm interested in is the Nanda NRX12 and the RC Atomic VMII. However they are both 210mm wheel base. Reading further in to Billi's thread he indicated he reversed the arms on the NRX12 to attain 220mm. I'm not sure how well this will fit into the 225mm of the BMW 2002. I may wait until I get the body first then measure around to see how it may fit.

Or just try to find a HPI cup, or just make my own custom 2WD pan chassis form another kit.....
Yeah, that is the scale. The HPI Super/Kyosho Superten/Tamiya TGX 1:8 scale is kind of odd, most other manufacturers have a different size for 1:8, they use the 330mm (ish?) wheelbase from their 1:8 buggies. For on road it looks kind of odd and boxy. See the OFNA GTP2E http://www.ofna.com/ugtp2e.php

Thus, cars of this size are usually referred to as "Super 1:10" scale. E.G the Kyosho Superten even though they are actually 1:8 scale in comparison to 1:1 cars.

And yeah the Mini's are based off of 1:10 scale cars. They are cool because manufacturers can produce bodies for sub compact cars like the VW Rabbit or Mini Cooper in 1:10 scale and they wouldn't look goofy while running with other 1:10 scale RCs. When you look at a VW Rabbit next to a Honda Accord or Ford F150 it is quite a bit smaller in real life ;-)

FWIW the NRX12 was on my list too. I originally thought about selling off my mini RS4 to get one but I just couldn't do it (I had wanted one for so long!). In one of the review threads linked Bill also posts a picture of the NRX with a 225mm Datsun 240z cup racer body on it (that is the scale of the 240z he runs). He has links to his build threads on the 1st page under each vehicle section if has had actually purchased one and built it.

Now I think he runs the regular Mini 54mm diameter wheels on it so the tires look a little smaller but you should be able to fit the regular Cup Racer 60mm wheels on it even with the shorted chassis with no problem.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

That is amazing how real that RS4 sounded on the drive bys and tire squealing!

Yes, I all too familiar with chubby boxy look of the 330mm WB 1/8 Road cars... I currently have 3 of them

What you say about the 225mm minis scale realism make sense. It would be strange if the 2002 Bimmer was a 260mm WB, it would be much larger than the E92 and E46 bodies from HPI....

I seen how Bill mad ethe 220mm fit the 240Z. In static images it does look slightly off at the rear. Not a deal breaker by any means, but still.. I will wait until the 2002 shows up and see how a 220mm may fit.

All these mini chassis take regular 12mm hex drive wheels like those for most TC cars, yes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.