R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2002, 05:04 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Indoor Carpet Track layouts

My local track is moving to a bigger facility. I am tasked to devolpe a new layout for this facility. We are looking for different layouts to run and setup. Anyone have pic's of layouts they use or run on they can share?
Thanks
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:02 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Caddzilla Send a message via AIM to Caddzilla Send a message via Yahoo to Caddzilla

I have designed about 20 tracks so far for both permanent and temporary courses. If you can give me the size of the facility I can send you all a couple of designs to look over if you want.
Caddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:55 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Caddzilla: The TC area is 25'x55'. Owner is laying ozite. They are also building an oval 15 degree banks next to the TC track.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:23 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Caddzilla Send a message via AIM to Caddzilla Send a message via Yahoo to Caddzilla

WOW, 25' by 55' is a pretty small track. How wide are the lanes? I will see what I can come up with for you.
Caddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 10:27 AM   #5
Tech Regular

agreed. We are open for setup of any size. Was thinking of 6' lanes. Bldg will house both oval and TC. Oval has primary layout. We race now on a banked oval and use the infield.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:05 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!! Caddzilla, you arent the ONLY one who can design tracks. RC Nitro, I can work you a decent course in 25x55 with some decent size lanes.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:18 PM   #7
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by trackdesigner71
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!! Caddzilla, you arent the ONLY one who can design tracks. RC Nitro, I can work you a decent course in 25x55 with some decent size lanes.
Whoa Whoa! He was the only one who responded at that point in time!

Simmer
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 10:30 AM   #8
Tech Adept

A view of my local carpet track from the rostrum

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...&postid=185457
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Well, that being the case Troy, I will colmly defer, but to all you guys out there who are lookin to setup carpet tracks, drop me a line at [email protected], and I can hook you up right!
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:36 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

An important consideration -

How often are you considering changing the track layout? Most places change it every couple of months or so - I run at SoCal Raceway and we change the layout every single week (unless laziness rules. . . )

It's not too difficult to put a setup together, and if you're going to mail-order layouts, it will delay your setup.

Easiest thing to do - layout with some duct tape - just little strips - and drive it. See what you think.

Put some "elements" in that you think a track should have - a chicane, decreasing/increasing radius spiral turn, keyhole turn, hairpin, straightway, etc. Use these elements kinda like "legos" - plug them into different places in your track.

Then, drive it. See if it has a rhythm, a "feel" to it. You don't have to set it up, just put some duct tape or cones to mark some lanes and just "feel" the track.

It gives you a LOT of ownership of the track. Also, if you have two or three people doing it as a team, you can get a real good layout.

Just my opinion, but I think that laying out a track is really something that needs to be more individualized.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:59 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Flash Gordan Send a message via Yahoo to Flash Gordan

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
An important consideration -

How often are you considering changing the track layout? Most places change it every couple of months or so - I run at SoCal Raceway and we change the layout every single week (unless laziness rules. . . )
Boomer... Our track is the same way. We change the layout either every week or every other week. We made up boards to lay out to change layout. RC Nitro check out the pics of out track. http://www.pottbellysrc.com Right now we have it setup for the ROAR region 2 oval championships. So you can check the track out like this. http://www.pottbellysrc.com/index.cf...ovaltrack_pics Hope the pics help.
Flash Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:25 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Thanks Guys.
IanS: Nice layout. IS that firehose you use for the borders?

Boomer: Thanks for the advice! I will give that layout info a shot when the track and carpet are layed down in 2 weeks. There are 2 of us right now working on layouts along with the owner. Owner runs oval and has given the TC cars free reign on what we want for a layout.

Flash Gordan: Thanks for the photo's. Track now is a banked oval, they are having the ARCOR nats there on the 26th. We should be moving to new facility in Nov. New Oval is based on Charlotte design

I fired up autocad and drew 6 alyouts for us to use. Not sure how often we will change yet. Talking of making the wall out of PVC pipe