Wiki Posts
Search

Is iCharger really superior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
The only thing that you would have to do to the Icharger is mess with the final charged voltage. To get a true 4.2v per cell just using a good volt meter to check it.
I can agree with that.

From the link I provided:

Your iCharger is calibrated in the factory before it is shipped. If you find there is need for calibration, you can calibrate your iCharger using the steps covered in this article.
All electronic devices wander over time and it is important to make sure that your icharger is still working with accurate voltage. iCharger uses its voltage reading for all aspects of its charging and discharging functions.
It's not like you have to do it often though.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 07-22-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Word to the wise. Calibrate your charger voltage to the track's volt meter. It's their meter that counts for teching, not your charger.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

iCharger is bester charger !
Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If the iCharger truely charges that fast, do you guys feel the need of dual iCharger? I like the option of charging 2 batteries simutaneously but with the power supply, I'm afraid the combo becomes too bulky to carry around.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
If the iCharger truely charges that fast, do you guys feel the need of dual iCharger? I like the option of charging 2 batteries simutaneously but with the power supply, I'm afraid the combo becomes too bulky to carry around.
I tried just about every charger that I thought was the best or told was good.

I can say the Icharger is the only charger that I will use to charge all my lipos.

The real time IR reading keeps your lipos in tip top shape.
No guessing if your lipos are going to be good on the track.

With the Duo I can charge one pack and store charge the other at the same time.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I bought the first I charger 4010 duo sold in the US back in Oct 2012. When they first came out. My charger has never been calibrated and has its ending voltage has never changed. Its been dead accurate since I got it and I can promise Ive charged more batteries on it than most people on here combined since I use it for cycling brand new packs when I get shipments in to verify their quality.

I have since bought a 308 and just recently a 406 just because they are smaller to travel with. The 308 is more than enough charger for most people and can be bought for under 250.00 or less. No special power supply needed as if your charging at 30 amps it only pulls about 18 amps off of your power supply on 2S and 12 amps on 1S. I routinely charge at 25 and 25 on both sides on a 40 amp power supply with zero issues.

To me it is the best charger out there as far as accuracy and reliability.

EA
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't worry about what charger you have. You could charge your battery on a 500.00 charger and the Big Dog at your track could charge his battery on a 20.00 charger and he will still go out and still whip your butt. It's all about driving and practice,practice,practice
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Couple of questions....

1. What is a good IR number for a 2s battery?
2. Do the charging leads play a factor in charge times? Performance?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The Orion advantage pro charger has the IR readout during charging/discharging. It'll charge upto 12A and discharge upto 14A. It's a brilliant charger but I wander how it stacks up to the icharger?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
First of all guys, how often do you calibrated your ichargers and the other chargers you own ??? If you've never calibrated your chargers, and it reads a higher cell voltage than it should, then your packs will be undercharged all the time, costing you to lose a lot of punch on top of losing confidence on your charger... Is it really that the icharger is superior, or is it that it might be reading a lower voltage out of your packs compared to other chargers, causing it to charge your packs more than the other chargers... Calibrate your current charger first, before throwing it away to get an icharger !!! If the calibrated icharger still outperforms your other calibrated chargers, then switch.....
What's this got to do with what the OP was asking about? If you are constantly calibrating your Thunderpower, something is seriously wrong with your charger.

Last edited by JiuHaWong; 07-23-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
What's this got to with what the OP was asking about? If you are constantly calibrating your Thunderpower, something is seriously wrong with your charger.
I had a Thunderpower 820CD and it was CONSTANTLY inaccurate with voltage cut-off. Even if I tried to calibrate it to the tracks DVOM it would drift and be over/under by a couple of hundredths.

Last edited by S.Stew; 07-23-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by S.Stew
I had a Thunderpower 820CD and it was CONSTANTLY inaccurate with voltage cut-off. Even if I tried to calibrate it to the tracks DVOM it would drift and be over/under by a couple of tenths.
That does not inspire much confidence in Thunderpower equipment (IMO). I only calibrate my iCharger after a firmware update. Even then, no issues.

I was really wondering why bertrands was making a big deal about it.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
That does not inspire much confidence in Thunderpower equipment (IMO). I only calibrate my iCharger after a firmware update. Even then, no issues.

I was really wondering why bertrands was making a big deal about it.
I should have said hundredths, but yeah...set it for 4.20 volts and I would get anywhere between 4.17 - 4.23.

This issue drove me to the Elan gears dual charger which is super accurate (so far). The Icharger is no doubt more capable though.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dave-man
Couple of questions....

1. What is a good IR number for a 2s battery?
2. Do the charging leads play a factor in charge times? Performance?
1 I don't know That

2 how long the wire is, size, lead or connection are a factor of performance. Always buy good connectors when racing. Just running around the yard you can use the cheap imitations if you want
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I have since bought a 308 and just recently a 406 just because they are smaller to travel with. The 308 is more than enough charger for most people and can be bought for under 250.00 or less. No special power supply needed as if your charging at 30 amps it only pulls about 18 amps off of your power supply on 2S and 12 amps on 1S. I routinely charge at 25 and 25 on both sides on a 40 amp power supply with zero issues.

To me it is the best charger out there as far as accuracy and reliability.

EA
Ok, it's a bit confusing but my understanding: 7.4V battery x 30A charge rate= 222W is the required power supply capacity. Wrong?
But you're saying, even with 25A charge rate, only 18A from power supply is needed. I assume your power supply's output voltage is around 20-25V. So the "18A" is because of the 25V output?

I'm asking this because I really want to buy the duo 308 or 4010 charger but the bulkiness of the power supply(1500w) is a concern for travel. But based on what you said, I may be able to get away with smaller capacity?? Please advise,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.