R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #61
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Ok, it's a bit confusing but my understanding: 7.4V battery x 30A charge rate= 222W is the required power supply capacity. Wrong?
But you're saying, even with 25A charge rate, only 18A from power supply is needed. I assume your power supply's output voltage is around 20-25V. So the "18A" is because of the 25V output?

I'm asking this because I really want to buy the duo 308 or 4010 charger but the bulkiness of the power supply(1500w) is a concern for travel. But based on what you said, I may be able to get away with smaller capacity?? Please advise,
amps dont matter as much as the watts the power supply has. You can buy converted HP power supplies (i think Schuur Speed sells some). The have more than enough power and are fairly compact.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #62
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Only disappointing thing about the iCharger 4010/308/406 line is that they've been prone to failure. Everybody I know with a 308, myself included, has had to get it repaired or replaced.

Also, random fact, but the USB port on the back of the 406 is powerful enough to charge an iPhone/iPad. The same is not true of the 308/4010.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #63
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Only disappointing thing about the iCharger 4010/308/406 line is that they've been prone to failure. Everybody I know with a 308, myself included, has had to get it repaired or replaced.

Also, random fact, but the USB port on the back of the 406 is powerful enough to charge an iPhone/iPad. The same is not true of the 308/4010.
What power supplies were they using? Converted supplies? I've been using meanwell supplies with zero issues.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok, it's a bit confusing but my understanding: 7.4V battery x 30A charge rate= 222W is the required power supply capacity. Wrong?
But you're saying, even with 25A charge rate, only 18A from power supply is needed. I assume your power supply's output voltage is around 20-25V. So the "18A" is because of the 25V output?

I'm asking this because I really want to buy the duo 308 or 4010 charger but the bulkiness of the power supply(1500w) is a concern for travel. But based on what you said, I may be able to get away with smaller capacity?? Please advise,
Watts = Volts X Amps

If I wanted to charge a single cell at 30 amps to 4.22 volts. I'm only using
126.6 Watts.
If I do this on both sides at the same time.
I'm using 253.2 Watts.

If I have a 30 Amp power supply 12 volts.
I have a total of 360 Watts.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:

I have the 406 for some time now and it ROCKS!

I have bought alot of different chargers from the cheap Hong Kong to the high 20 amp ones.
Nothing beats the ICharger.

If your charger don't charge at 30 amps with real time IR.
How do you know what you lipos are doing??
Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-man View Post
Couple of questions....

1. What is a good IR number for a 2s battery?
2. Do the charging leads play a factor in charge times?
Performance?

1. Good number will read 5-7 mil ohm (1.7 per cell)

2.Allways use the Balancing wire (TQ) when charging all lipos.
Gives a more precised end voltage everytime.

You need to charge your cells at 27-30 amps (COLD from 3.85volts/cell)
This causes the cell to heat internally evenly throughout the pack.
The outside of the cell case will feel room temperature to the touch.
No need to cycle your pack to put heat in it.

You have about 10 minutes.
Just run. and the IR will be at the lowest point timing is critical.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #67
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
What power supplies were they using? Converted supplies? I've been using meanwell supplies with zero issues.
Varies between people. Myself and the other person at my table who had two 308's replaced have been using an IOTA 55A that's less than a year old. Not a cheap PS by any means.

Failure scenarios have varied. Mine stopped balance charging on one side. If you read the 4010 thread on RCGROUPS there's no shortage of people complaining about failures. It's the only black eye (and a big one) on an otherwise magnificent charger. Well, aside from the ridiculous color choices for the cases.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My 308 works like a charm
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Varies between people. Myself and the other person at my table who had two 308's replaced have been using an IOTA 55A that's less than a year old. Not a cheap PS by any means.

Failure scenarios have varied. Mine stopped balance charging on one side. If you read the 4010 thread on RCGROUPS there's no shortage of people complaining about failures. It's the only black eye (and a big one) on an otherwise magnificent charger. Well, aside from the ridiculous color choices for the cases.
That's sucks to hear man. I hope progressive took care of your issues. I do poke my head over at rc groups, but some of those guys really push the limits when it comes to charging their packs.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:

The IOTA PS you have seems pretty bulky. Do you have a designated box for the charger and PS? The Mean well PS is longer but flatter but IOTA shape may be more suitable shape for the charger since it's more rectangular like the iCharger. Sorry for this silly question but I'm just trying to decide what to buy for the PS. LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
1. Good number will read 5-7 mil ohm (1.7 per cell)

These numbers dont add up. If its 5-7 mil ohm, wouldn't it be at least 2.5 per cell? Also, I thought capacity and c rating affected IR. Basically (from what ive read) the higher the mah and c rate, the lower the IR. Also does temp make a difference in IR readings? Meaning if you test it cold bs immedeatly after a charge or run?
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #72
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO anything other than a I-Charger 206 is overkill with cars. Most guys that I see with the duo are using one bank anyway and if you are running the same brand lipo you can easily charge more than one pack if need be. I myself have a over kill setup that I use but I also fly heli's so I need the high power to do so.
DOTHOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #73
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
These numbers dont add up. If its 5-7 mil ohm, wouldn't it be at least 2.5 per cell? Also, I thought capacity and c rating affected IR. Basically (from what ive read) the higher the mah and c rate, the lower the IR. Also does temp make a difference in IR readings? Meaning if you test it cold bs immedeatly after a charge or run?
Since I use the TQ balance wire I get the read at the battey (end leads) and a over all read at the wire (charger).
Since I use longer leads the IR is read the difference in the wire.

Cold - above - a cold pack that sat and was stored at 3.85 volt/cell.

There is a temperature range where the internal heat of a lipo pack IR is at it lowest.
If you get the pack:
Too hot the IR will start to rise. Too cold and the IR will be higher.

Around 10 minutes seems to be the cooling off time.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #74
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
The IOTA PS you have seems pretty bulky. Do you have a designated box for the charger and PS? The Mean well PS is longer but flatter but IOTA shape may be more suitable shape for the charger since it's more rectangular like the iCharger. Sorry for this silly question but I'm just trying to decide what to buy for the PS. LOL
What does shape have anything to do with how it works? Or were you referring to putting it into a case?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
What does shape have anything to do with how it works? Or were you referring to putting it into a case?
Yeah the latter. Has nothing to do with performance.

Last edited by snuvet75; 07-23-2014 at 05:44 PM.
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote