R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

You can't expect the slower guy to just stop and let everyone by. The faster person should know how to pass and when to pass. I've seen too many times where some guy wants to pass and as he passes, he pulls a brain fade and goes wide which forces you into the wall. Leader does not equal track owner. Sometimes a guy would pass and then slow down, c'mon whats with that??? This is racing, you should expect a little competitiion or agressiveness. Just because you are the leader does not make you Moses. If you are a better and faster driver, you should be able to pass smoothly and quickly.

Now in regards to longer races, I'm in favor of it so long as we allow 20 car mains. One thing I hate about big races is the wait. It is so long that eventually you forget about why you are there to begin with. So if you eliminate some of the non-sensical classes and double up on the grids then yes longer heats and mains would be fun. But if I have to wait almost 2 hours between runs, then forget it, I have a better chance with lines at Disneyland.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

In IFMAR qualifiers, if you catch someone, he should let you pass. Your already ahead of him on time. This would be like the the Minardis blocking a Ferrari during the old Formula 1 qualifying, when multiple cars can be on the track.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #78
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
In IFMAR qualifiers, if you catch someone, he should let you pass. Your already ahead of him on time. This would be like the the Minardis blocking a Ferrari during the old Formula 1 qualifying, when multiple cars can be on the track.
At our local track the track announcer tells us who is on the lead and ask to let him or her by when he is coming up on lap-traffic
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:44 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I still say just leave it alone. Why does it need to change? There's nothing wrong with racing formats now. 5 minute qualifiers and 5 minute mains.
I'm with Jon on this.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #80
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I say go with longer races. These newer batteries and motors are doing a fine job of killing the hobby of racing RC. Fundamentals like gearing and clean driving need to be brought back. With the capacities of the batteries we have now, it's a no-brainer to make 5 minutes.

Like someone said earlier, if you can't figure out how to make a car last, go get a drag car.

Just my $0.02.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

with Everybody at the races running 5 min .. It is considered the norm for most race programs .. But with all the new technology and cell capicity I think 6 minutes would be a good time table to work with ... Keep Qualifying and Mains at 5 min. for the Sportman classes and 6 min.s for the Expert classes ....my 2 coins ...
Old 08-31-2005, 07:53 PM   #82
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Personally, I do not think stock motors could take it. Heck, with the batteries today, stock motors can barely go 5 minutes.
I would have a hard time standing up there for 8 minutes and it would make long race days into really long race days.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
Personally, I do not think stock motors could take it. Heck, with the batteries today, stock motors can barely go 5 minutes.
I would have a hard time standing up there for 8 minutes and it would make long race days into really long race days.
How about 8 minute races in the Spring and Fall. Then 5 minute races in Summer and Winter. LOL. I don't know if I can take 8 minutes of flesh burning heat on the neck, then 8 more minutes of running after cars.

jk ya'll, I'm not really that weak.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 PM   #84
Tech Addict

I am all for longer mains on club nights we run 5min qualifiers and 6 min mains.
And about the slower driver i'm only new at this hobby so i'm on of the slower guys and if a quick guy is catching me we communicate on the drivers stand as to where and how he wants to pass e.g inside and the end of the back straight i would ran slightly wide and let him through no hassels.
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:17 PM   #85
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

I think six minutes would be a good start. We all know that by the end of the race if we're on a roll after a wreck or something, we are all thinking, "If only I could get a few more laps in, I could've caught that guy." Well, that extra minute will give us that chance. And it will only make the race day a half hour longer or so, so it isn't a big deal.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

STOCK MOTOR'S !! .. I know they will run great in longer races ... I did run a stock motor in an Enduro race for an HOUR and a HALF ...no brush changes and motor only rested for 5 seconds for battery changes ....Depends on setting up your motor to run at its best effeciency .....
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh69162
I think six minutes would be a good start. We all know that by the end of the race if we're on a roll after a wreck or something, we are all thinking, "If only I could get a few more laps in, I could've caught that guy." Well, that extra minute will give us that chance. And it will only make the race day a half hour longer or so, so it isn't a big deal.
-Josh
Let's not forget about the times when you're leading the race and saying to yourself, "would that damn buzzer just ring already?" But I agree that 1 or 2 more minutes of racing would be good.
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #88
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

Ok... so from reading most of this thread so far it appears that:

A) The majority of us would like longer mains and possibly quals too
B) Having significantly shorter quals than mains may cause spending issues
C) Motors would not have trouble making longer races when geared appropriately
D) Longer quals would make for a serious time crunch in larger races
E) Many people don't understand the reason for IFMAR qualifying

On the topic of stubborn lapped traffic in Qualifying (not mains). If you have a person that does not let you pass (when your faster) in a qualifier, just ask your track director what you should do in that situation. A lot will depend on the person in question. Sometimes our director will announce during the qual and ask the slower person to let you through.

Our track director has even suggested at times that we maybe wait for a few laps and if the person doesn't let you by then just drive through him. That is an extreme situation with a truely rude and combative slower driver. When the speed difference is large it's usually easy to make a pass when the slower driver messes up or blows a turn. When your in a qual where you and the person you are trying to pass are running withing a few 1/10ths on lap times then sometimes it's almost impossible to pass unless the slower driver lets you.

YR4Dude.... yes you can expect the slower guy to let people through. He is slower. Why should my qualifying time reflect his poor driving because I got stuck behind him for several laps. And I definately don't suggest he stop to let people by. He can just take a turn a bit wide to let the faster guy through and he probably wont loose much time at all. He will also have a faster guy to follow for a little while and possibly pick that time right back up following the better line of the faster driver. If he doesn't let people by then he is just as likely to spend some time waiting for a martial when the faster driver tries to "pass smoothly and quickly" without success.

Plus... who wants a faster guy on their tail anyways during a qual round. It's safer for me to have him in front of me instead of behind me where he could VERY easily take us BOTH out if he tries to force a pass because I was being a jerk and not letting him by.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #89
Tech Addict

Some people seem to think that longer mains make the motor run hotter. Lets do some calculations on heating motors. If you're using 3300 mAh batteries and barely make the main, the motor is using equalent of 285 Watthours in five minutes. It's using equalent of 180 Watthours in 8 minutes. The percentage of power that goes through the motor and is turned into heat is the same. Which is hotter, 300 watt heater (5 minutes) or 200 watt heater (8 minutes)? It seems obvious that the longer the main is, the cooler the motor runs. You just have to adjust the timing and gearing to last 8 minutes.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsetinn
Some people seem to think that longer mains make the motor run hotter. Lets do some calculations on heating motors. If you're using 3300 mAh batteries and barely make the main, the motor is using equalent of 285 Watthours in five minutes. It's using equalent of 180 Watthours in 8 minutes. The percentage of power that goes through the motor and is turned into heat is the same. Which is hotter, 300 watt heater (5 minutes) or 200 watt heater (8 minutes)? It seems obvious that the longer the main is, the cooler the motor runs. You just have to adjust the timing and gearing to last 8 minutes.
It's not that simple
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote