R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2005, 10:39 AM   #61
Tech Adept

Cool Fast Lap Qualifing

Fast lap qualifing would be good at large racing events to rank unseated racers for the qualifers to make it even harder to get to the "A" thus keeping seated racers seated. In RC it's an all in mentality, so maybe that woulden't work. Peasonaly, I like the racing at 5min. it makes it less expencive all around.
lumberjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I still say just leave it alone. Why does it need to change? There's nothing wrong with racing formats now. 5 minute qualifiers and 5 minute mains.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
Good points. But I'd prefer to see a separation in novice and experienced classes for stock and not have inexperienced racers be allowed to run anything faster. Then you could keep the novice stock class with the same current qualifying method and allow the experienced stock and mod classes to compete for a TQ single lap time.

The issue with this is how do you separate the novice from the experienced if you don't know the persons background. Any thoughts?

I would think that most race directors know who the hot shoes are in the area and can sort them out in the qualifiers. Every once in a while, someone will sneak in and may have to suffer with lesser drivers in qualifying. A "fast" driver doesn't always equate to a "good" driver. Consistency wins a lot of races. If you run one lap equal to the fast guys and the rest of your laps jump up and down, you don't deserve to run with the fast guys. I see more problems with "fast" cars that come up on you too hard and take you out in the corner than I do with the novice guy who is just trying to make his laps. Maybe we should set up the mains based on who hit fewer boards in qualifying. Just because you have good motors and batteries and can run fast laps by yourself, doesn't make you a good driver. I think you put too much importance on the "TQ". No one remembers who TQ'ed, they only remember who WON.
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 AM   #64
Tech Champion

Sorry to get off track. This thread is about longer races. I say yes.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #65
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin
Racing isn't about having the fastest car for 3 laps. If that's what you want, buy a drag car. Lap traffic is part of the game. If you can't learn to get around them clean, then once again, buy a drag car. I think that anyone can put their car on the track and run fast by themselves. The talent comes when you have guys trying to pass you while you're trying to pass someone else. Patience is part of the game and your 3 fast lap concept ruins that.

Hey Rob, what car are you racing this week?
I don't want guys like you in my qualifier rounds. Your not "SUPPOSED" to be racing at all. Your "SUPPOSED" to let the faster guy by so he can get his good qual time and not screw up your good qual time when he tries to force a pass.

Now the mains are a whole other story.

TeamGP has a good poing. The quals are for figuring out the grid for the mains...that's it...and for practice for those of us that get no other practice time during the week. But I think the 2 fast lap method would fall prey to the "more money gets the win" problem. People would tweak special motors to get just a few screaming laps in ... motors that wouldn't have a chance of finishing a 5 minute race. They would use special tires are super aggressive traction compounds.

Qualifying almost has to stay at close to the same race length as the main to avoid that situation.

I'd vote for slightly longer mains but no change to the quals. But 8 minutes would be too large of a gap in my opinion. I would think 6 minutes would work and definately not more than 7.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
I think you put too much importance on the "TQ". No one remembers who TQ'ed, they only remember who WON.
Whoa now Mr. Stilt! Don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm only providing another option to the discussion that this thread has evolved into, which to me is, how could the racing format be changed, to accommodate longer mains or just be more interesting.

A healthy debate if you will.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Fast lap qualifying would cost an arm and a leg. I know I've built 19t adjustable motors that ran 2-3 tenths faster than a C2, but ran strong for 2 minutes, soft for 2 minutes, then dumped hard. Burt brushes every run. Also, new tires would give a huge advantage. That takes the consistance out of play.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #68
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=UnderDaHill]I don't want guys like you in my qualifier rounds. Your not "SUPPOSED" to be racing at all. Your "SUPPOSED" to let the faster guy by so he can get his good qual time and not screw up your good qual time when he tries to force a pass.

One of your fellow Surge drivers (KT racing) knows who I am and can back me on this one. I'll be the first one to recognize a "better" driver and let him pass. I'm referring to the drivers who have fast cars that point them at the car in front and force them off of the track because they have no patience to make a clean pass. I know exactly where I stand in the pecking order and have no heartache getting out of the way of the big guns. Sorry if I used "racing" as a generic term for my post, but lap traffic whether it's me or someone else is all part of the game.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #69
Tech Addict

Longer mains don't necessarily have to be 8 minutes, it was just an example I took. It looks like the majority would like longer than 5 minute mains. I see nothing wrong with starting with 6 minute mains, the progress up to 7 minutes. I think qualifying should be same length as the mains. Don't forget, it's part of racing to take care of the car during the race, letting the batteries last and don't overheat the motors so they go soft.
I can hardly remember from 10 years ago that motor unsoldered itself during a race, now it happens in nearly every race that someones motor unsolderes itself. Burning yourself on the motor when picking up the car while turn marshalling, used to be clear indication that the motor or drivetrain were bad, now it's "normal".
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #70
Tech Elite

stiltskin, you have PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:41 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
One of your fellow Surge drivers (KT racing) knows who I am and can back me on this one. I'll be the first one to recognize a "better" driver and let him pass. I'm referring to the drivers who have fast cars that point them at the car in front and force them off of the track because they have no patience to make a clean pass. I know exactly where I stand in the pecking order and have no heartache getting out of the way of the big guns. Sorry if I used "racing" as a generic term for my post, but lap traffic whether it's me or someone else is all part of the game.
Yep, he knows the pecking order. He lets me by with out any problems ( when apropriate ). As for the other guys, they don't have a clue. Check my post on the Trinity thread. I concerns just what some of these guys are talking about.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com

Last edited by Rob Phillips; 08-31-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
Yep, he knows the pecking order. He lets me by with out any problems ( when apropriate ). As for the other "Guys", they don't have a clue. Check my post on the Trinity thread. I concerns just what some of these guys are talking about.
Thanks for the back-up.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #73
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

stiltskin... no problem. I was just referring to the type of person that thinks every pass should be earned in qualifiers. True in the mains but not true in a quals. It is good practice for passing but if your in a highly competative race situation you want to spend the qual going as fast as you can and not fighting tooth and nail to get past every lapped car.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #74
Tech Elite

There's a guy that I race with who is usually quick. But whenever we are IFMAR qualifying, and I come to pass him, he tells me I have to fight to make the pass, and that I'm not fast enough to pass him. I've already picked up alot of track on him, but he insist on making me force a pass to get my. I can usually look at the lap times after the race, and see the half second spike for a few laps, then they go back down after I get by. Do ya'll think this is just racing, or should he let me by?
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #75
Tech Elite

He should let you by.

I had to learn that myself. But unfortunately a lot of experienced racers would rather get mad, yell, pitch a fit and talk about you behind your back. What they should do is come up to you and offer to help coach you on how to realize when you need to let someone pass as well as HOW and WHERE to let them pass effectively.

It wasn't until I was assertive and asked one of our local fast guys to help me, that I learned how to run a qualifier without becoming a moving apex.