R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
This is off the wall, but I'm a scale racing fan at heart.

How about each person gets a clean track for one warmup and one fast lap three times (for 3 qualifiers)? Set each mains grid by the average fast lap time. Familiar?

10 people in a 5min (300 secs) = 30 sec / person
1 person with 2 laps (inc/warmup) averaging 15s / lap = 30 sec / person

Just thought I'd give it a shot since I'm good at getting a few fast laps in, but not quite there on the full 5 min attention span.
So insted of getting the 15 minutes of racing we get now at a club race with 2 qualifiers and a main, we'll get 90 seconds of qualifying and a 5 minute (or 8 minute ) main? Kind of the opoposite of what people are saying they want, more track time.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #47
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
The ones making their time easily are the old school 12th scale boys who were used to run with 1200 cells for 8 minutes.
Jeeezus.

So in theory those same guys should be able to pull off a 25 minute race with 3700s???
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I recently did a micro oval race. Was a bit unusual in that we ran 60 lap qualifiers and a 120 lap main instead of 5 minutes. The main took nearly 9 minutes to complete. Was really fun. Could make up for a mistake. Didn't seem nearly that long.

I used to race oval back in the day when Sanyo 1200/1400 SCR's and 1700 SCRC's ruled the tracks. Could run 4 minutes no problem, even in mod. Surely we can go longer on GP3300/3700 and IB3800's.

Longer races would suit me just fine. 5 minute qualifiers and 6 minute mains would be a great start.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 AM   #49
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
This is off the wall, but I'm a scale racing fan at heart.

How about each person gets a clean track for one warmup and one fast lap three times (for 3 qualifiers)? Set each mains grid by the average fast lap time. Familiar?

10 people in a 5min (300 secs) = 30 sec / person
1 person with 2 laps (inc/warmup) averaging 15s / lap = 30 sec / person

Just thought I'd give it a shot since I'm good at getting a few fast laps in, but not quite there on the full 5 min attention span.
Close....when I lived in Japan a few years ago the TC format was:

IFMAR starts
3 min qual -fastes lap determins qual position
8 min mains

This was with 23t motors, some people dumped with 3300s.

I like 8 minutes....that's why I only run 1/12th scale
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 AM   #50
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Jeeezus.

So in theory those same guys should be able to pull off a 25 minute race with 3700s???
well I know some people praying for a good result

It's so easy to quote just one line .........

The statement I made was that 12th scale drivers normally drive more economical, so they can run longer on a set of cells compaired to the drivers who "learned" to drive with GP3300 cells in 5 minute racing.
Frans H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I started racing in the early 90's, when there was only 1/12 scale. Back then with 1200 NiCads you had to plan your race and try to save just enough for the end to make a charge.

I watch many of the guys who run mod TC today. They drive a 9 turn like it's a stock motor. No wonder they're dumping. Most cases dumping is caused by bad car setup or poor motor tune, not lack of battery capacity.

So 8 minute heats/mains in TC would mean race strategy would play a bigger part. Last time I looked you can't go into the hobby shop, whip out your credit card and buy a case of strategy.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:01 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
So insted of getting the 15 minutes of racing we get now at a club race with 2 qualifiers and a main, we'll get 90 seconds of qualifying and a 5 minute (or 8 minute ) main? Kind of the opoposite of what people are saying they want, more track time.
Well my philosophy on more track time is another old school scale racing one. Practice on a different day than race day. I regularly spend at least a few hours a week at our indoor carpet track on a weekday practicing.

Then prepare everything before you get to the track on race day and actually USE the practice sessions that are scheduled. This means having a set of batteries and a motor specifically for practice though. I made the mistake of not being prepared a couple of weeks ago and spent the mornings practice session tuning my motors. It cost me two DNF's in qualifying.

Now if you always have two cars on the track during fast lap qualifying (one on warmup and one on the fast lap) then you could cut the qualifying time in half and have more time for open practice sessions between qualifying rounds.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Last time I looked you can't go into the hobby shop, whip out your credit card and buy a case of strategy.

Thats right! All of us need to just suck it up and learn how to race smoothly and strategically. I'm all in for a challenge!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Well my philosophy on more track time is another old school scale racing one. Practice on a different day than race day. I regularly spend at least a few hours a week at our indoor carpet track on a weekday practicing.

Then prepare everything before you get to the track on race day and actually USE the practice sessions that are scheduled. This means having a set of batteries and a motor specifically for practice though. I made the mistake of not being prepared a couple of weeks ago and spent the mornings practice session tuning my motors. It cost me two DNF's in qualifying.

Now if you always have two cars on the track during fast lap qualifying (one on warmup and one on the fast lap) then you could cut the qualifying time in half and have more time for open practice sessions between qualifying rounds.
Here's the problem with that theory, most racers I know don't have time to go to the track during the week. Most of us have real jobs and families. If I get to the track to race 3 times a month I'm lucky. Not to mention the closest track to me is 100 miles away. Practice can't be left to "a different day" for 90% of racers out there.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:07 AM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Racing isn't about having the fastest car for 3 laps. If that's what you want, buy a drag car. Lap traffic is part of the game. If you can't learn to get around them clean, then once again, buy a drag car. I think that anyone can put their car on the track and run fast by themselves. The talent comes when you have guys trying to pass you while you're trying to pass someone else. Patience is part of the game and your 3 fast lap concept ruins that.

Hey Rob, what car are you racing this week?
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin
Racing isn't about having the fastest car for 3 laps. If that's what you want, buy a drag car. Lap traffic is part of the game. If you can't learn to get around them clean, then once again, buy a drag car. I think that anyone can put their car on the track and run fast by themselves. The talent comes when you have guys trying to pass you while you're trying to pass someone else. Patience is part of the game and your 3 fast lap concept ruins that.
Tell that to the Formula One, NASCAR, MotoGP or any other scale racing community. (yes I know that this is RC...)

The fact of the matter is that fast lap qualifying is more interesting, minimizes unnecessary accidents=$$$, and ADDS another level of overall "racing" strategy to the mix. Lap traffic is a part of racing, and SHOULD be a part of the mains, but maybe not qualifying.

BTW, a drag car doesn't turn corners in a race or a qualifier, right?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Here's the problem with that theory, most racers I know don't have time to go to the track during the week. Most of us have real jobs and families. If I get to the track to race 3 times a month I'm lucky. Not to mention the closest track to me is 100 miles away. Practice can't be left to "a different day" for 90% of racers out there.
Hey, I understand! Thats why I threw in the last paragraph. But I don't think the TC community is ready for changes like these yet.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Tell that to the Formula One, NASCAR, MotoGP or any other scale racing community. (yes I know that this is RC...)

The fact of the matter is that fast lap qualifying is more interesting, minimizes unnecessary accidents=$$$, and ADDS another level of overall "racing" strategy to the mix. Lap traffic is a part of racing, and SHOULD be a part of the mains, but maybe not qualifying.

BTW, a drag car doesn't turn corners in a race or a qualifier, right?
These are all professional drivers who started from the ground up. They learned how to pass, how to pick a new line and how to contend with traffic before they were put into an F1 / NASCAR. They have already earned the respect and trust of the other drivers. On the other hand, there are still plenty of RC drivers who can turn fast laps by themselves but can't figure out when to back off of another car. The main is definitely not the time to learn these techniques. It sucks to be the fastest guy in the lower mains but that's where you learn to drive with traffic.
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #59
Tech Addict

Default Why people race in 2 classes.

Why do many people run in 2 classes? In a vast majority of cases it is to double the amount of race time.

3 x 5 minute qualifiers and a 5 minute main =20 min. Many people think 6 -8 hrs on the track for 20 mins is insufficient.

4 - 8 minute qualifiers and an 8 minute main gives you the same 40 minutes of track time you would get running two different classes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Good points. But I'd prefer to see a separation in novice and experienced classes for stock and not have inexperienced racers be allowed to run anything faster. Then you could keep the novice stock class with the same current qualifying method and allow the experienced stock and mod classes to compete for a TQ single lap time.

The issue with this is how do you separate the novice from the experienced if you don't know the persons background. Any thoughts?