R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The race day will not be all that longer. The original post is longer mains.
Most places I race at will keep the number of cars in heats as small as possible. Mains often have more cars in them and thus fewer mains then qualifying heats.

With today's battery capacities, I wouldn't mind seeing 6 minute races.
I don't see battery or motor wars as an issue. The quality of batts out there is available to all. The faster guys are most often that way because they are the better drivers. I get the chance to race against some sponsored drivers in the northeast. Speed is not the problem, my driving is. They are very efficient through the infield.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #32
Tech Elite

What if we raced for a set number of laps. The laps would vary between tracks.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Longer races is a great idea everywhere but at the Snowbirds. Adding more time to the number of races there paints a real ugly picture.
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well one minute per race would only mean 1 hour per sixty races. I don't think that would hurt to much. Anyone here used to run 4 min races? Think about how much longer one minute can feel. I think 6 min race would be sweet. It's a good start until we see brushless and Lipos become the norm.

How many guys go out and practice and pull there cars off after 5 min? I see most people go until they dump, that's doing just as much damage as actually running a longer race. Maybe even more since your no properly set up to run for longer times. I myself run old stuff usually for practice, and save my good stuff for racing.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

In all honesty the first time I "retired" we only raced 4 mins. I liked that, don't get me wrong I like longer mains but I'd rather see 4 min heats and 6 min mains.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Personally I'd hate it. First of all, for electric you really shouldn't run a different length qualifier than your main. We gear and time our motors to get the most speed out of them and still last the 5 minutes. If they qualify that way and all of a sudden have to change to make 6 minutes in the main, you're going to get a lot of people dumping. And yes, I usually will pull my car off in practice before I dump. As soon as it starts to feel like it's getting a little soft, I pull off.

And the original post about running 8 minute mod races, that would price most racers right out of racing. I'd imagine most of the guys running modified for 8 min in Japan are not the everyday racers, but probably factory racers who are using a pack once and that's it. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Maybe in stock racing adding another minute to the races but I just don't really see any good coming from upping the race time.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Angry Longer Mains?

I see many changes;
1) Qualifing(sp) motors and a motor for the main.
2)Batterys, qualifying (high power)- mains extra runtime
3) Special ESC profiles, qualifing and mains
4)Special tires, again, qualifing-mains
NASCAR changed to a one engine rule to attempt to control costs and its given them better and more competitive racing. The way to get better racing in RC is to limit the changes a racer can make after the event starts. Make us use the tuning ablitys we learn to race not the Mastercard.
Again my thoughts, witch may or may not matter to anyone even me.
lumberjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Mod: 5min

Stock: 8min (23, 27 and 19T)
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

With the efficiency of modern drivetrains, the capacity of batteries and the motor tuning that is out there now, we should be running longer heats/mains. I do like the idea of the races being a sprint from start to finish instead of a LeMans style, but how much would one/two extra minutes hurt. I agree with Kerr about keeping the heats and mains the same length. No reason to try and "guess" if your gearing will make the extra time in the main.
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

6min sounds o.k for me in touring. someone posted that they would like to see 15-20 min for 1/12, hell the only reason i run 1/12 is so i dont have to marshal for 8 min but i must admit when marshalling 1/12 i do have 8min to talk to myself
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin
With the efficiency of modern drivetrains, the capacity of batteries and the motor tuning that is out there now, we should be running longer heats/mains. I do like the idea of the races being a sprint from start to finish instead of a LeMans style, but how much would one/two extra minutes hurt. I agree with Kerr about keeping the heats and mains the same length. No reason to try and "guess" if your gearing will make the extra time in the main.
well said. Mod would be a different beast. Like already said, mod 5 min, stock 6-8 min.

Shouldn't you be on the x-ray forum taking shots at Team GP?
You running carpet at debbies this weekend?

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #42
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Every year at our local trophy race we run a 45 minute enduro and we run a few 24 minute enduros throughout the year. These races have been some of the funnest races I have paticipated in. They use two drivers, one car, and multiple battery packs. Last year in the 45 minute race 1st and 2nd place were only seperated by 2 laps, 3rd was 5 laps down from second. This race has become so popular that it (24 minutes) has become a regular event every week. Most run pan cars but there are some TCs and mini TCs with 4 cells.

I am all for longer racing, like others have said it makes it so you don't have to run a perfect lap every lap to win.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #43
Tech Elite

This is off the wall, but I'm a scale racing fan at heart.

How about each person gets a clean track for one warmup and one fast lap three times (for 3 qualifiers)? Set each mains grid by the average fast lap time. Familiar?

10 people in a 5min (300 secs) = 30 sec / person
1 person with 2 laps (inc/warmup) averaging 15s / lap = 30 sec / person

Just thought I'd give it a shot since I'm good at getting a few fast laps in, but not quite there on the full 5 min attention span.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

In holland we use to drive modified for 7 minutes in Tamiya series. It's very interesting to see that some people can't make 7 minutes with 3700 batteries. Others make 9 minutes out of 3300 cells. It's all about gearing, timing and driving. The ones making their time easily are the old school 12th scale boys who were used to run with 1200 cells for 8 minutes.

In my opinion it doesn't matter for your motors and batteries if you race 5 minute or 7 minute races, as long as you take care about your motor etc. The equipment will be as hot in a 7 minute race as in a 5 minute race.

What if we can race new 4200 cells ? There will allways be racers going flat within the 5 minute mark if only their electrics will hold. The motor will get so hot that I, at this moment, doubt about it will last for 5 minutes. Not yet thought about the speedo, hmm.

I was thinking about going to 4 or 5 cells of 1.2 volts nominal per cell electric racing !!!

I have been racing 12th scale, stopped about 8 years ago. At that point the cars were totally ballistic with 14/15 turns motors in 8 minute racing. Since I have seen it racing with 4 cells and 8 minutes with no motor limit it's still fast but looks more easy. The motors last longer. The tyres last longer.
I think it's cheaper and still competative.

Think it will be the same for touringcar and buggy classes.

Frans Heinsbroek
Netherlands
Frans H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
This is off the wall, but I'm a scale racing fan at heart.

How about each person gets a clean track for one warmup and one fast lap three times (for 3 qualifiers)? Set each mains grid by the average fast lap time. Familiar?

10 people in a 5min (300 secs) = 30 sec / person
1 person with 2 laps (inc/warmup) averaging 15s / lap = 30 sec / person

Just thought I'd give it a shot since I'm good at getting a few fast laps in, but not quite there on the full 5 min attention span.

I was thinking about the exact same thing the other day. That would be really cool I think.