R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

ESC questions and others

1. are all the recievsible escs like this?
when you first pull the trigger to reverse, it's brake. the second pull is reverse. or some of them just turn reverse right away, so there would be no brakes at all?
I am trying to upgrade my TEU-101BK to the novak xrs sport reversible esc, but I dunno the reverse thing for the esc
by the way, what's the smart braking stuff?

2. i was also thinking to buy the ta-05
what does the transponder stay do?
and how much is the ta-05 kit?

3. what's the schottky diocles? is that the booster thing?

4. if I cut the motor connector from the esc in the tt-01rtr and solder the wire straight to the motor, would it break the esc or the motor? is it just a connector or something else?

thanks
nekmiyevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

The best thing to do is to goto your local hobby shop and ask them for advice first.

1. Don't have answers for you there.
2. The transponder stay holds the transponder in place. Prices, you should google it.
3. A schotky diode prevents current from braking to go into your ESC and damage it. I am not sure if its anything to do with the "booster thingy"
4. I do not own a tt01-rtr, but if its just a "motor connector" as you stated, it should be safe. But I do not suggest doing any cutting, unless you know how to produce good solder joints and what are doing.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
Tech Addict

1. are all the recievsible escs like this?
when you first pull the trigger to reverse, it's brake. the second pull is reverse. or some of them just turn reverse right away, so there would be no brakes at all?
I am trying to upgrade my TEU-101BK to the novak xrs sport reversible esc, but I dunno the reverse thing for the esc
by the way, what's the smart braking stuff?

There are generally 3 types, (a) 1st time you push is brakes, second time is reverse. (b) When you push it's brakes for X number of seconds then it goes into reverse (c) Cheapest type, brakes whenever you push, great for stripping your gears

2. i was also thinking to buy the ta-05 Great choice !
what does the transponder stay do? Mounts the steering servo and holds the transponder during races
and how much is the ta-05 kit? Best to check with your LHS

3. what's the schottky diocles? is that the booster thing? Prevents reverse current damage and improves efficiency of your ESC For use only in Forward/Brake ESC ! DO NOT USE one in your reversible ESC !

4. if I cut the motor connector from the esc in the tt-01rtr and solder the wire straight to the motor, would it break the esc or the motor? is it just a connector or something else? Go ahead if you are confident with a soldering Iron, but if you smoked something, dun blame me !

thanks[/QUOTE]
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

the LHS is far from my house and most stuff in there are gas car and stuff, there are only a little bit of electirc on road. I was thinking to but the ta05 when I go to hk. although I dunno how much it would cost in there, but I just know it has to be cheaper than here
should I order the xrs esc from the novak web site?or is there any place cheaper? it costs 46.99 there
i am not so confident to solder anything yet. i don't even have the stuff so what kind of solder should I buy? how much? anyway, I still need to learn how to solder the wires batteries adn stuff

thanks
nekmiyevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Hm... I was brand new to this in 2004 (hence the name). I was in the same place you were in a year ago.

Imo, i think the best way to learn the basics is to hang out at your LHS. Hang out there for a few hours, and ask lots of questions until ppl get pissed at you. Go there once a week, and when you are there, ask them about everything. As you can see, LHS doesn't like me much anymore, but I am much more comfortable with the hobby now.

If are seriously commited to learning about electric rc, and especially rc racing, then you will need someone to teach you some of these things in person. Nothing is a substitute for a person actually showing you how to make a good solder joint, how to hold a soldering iron, how does electricity work, how does an ESC work, etc.

The people here on the forum can offer great advice and get you started on the right foot, but you cannot expect people to guide you through the hobby every step of the way. You will have to take the learning into your own hands and do some "homework". Use the search engines online to find websites where you can learn some of this stuff, read magazines, go out to your LHS and ask them where you can view races and talk to local racers.

If I have offended you in anyway, I apologize in advance. Btw, there is a rookie section on this forum where this type of thread maybe more appropriately placed. And once again, if I have offended you, I apologize. I do not mean to bash you, just trying to help you find the best way to enter the hobby.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote