Wiki Posts
Search

Mod motor timing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Mod motor timing.

Ok fellas I run mostly nitro but am getting into elec slowly. Just want to learn a little bit about the timing of mod motors.

Does turning them to the right add more torque, and to the left add more rpm's?

A guy told me to run it on motor run in at 2.5 volts and check the amp draw at different settings.

I got a hood alignment tool, just the cheap bar that goes thru the hoods and the rod thru the bearings. But doesn't really seem like tight enough fit to do any good. Should I just be checking the brush face and then move the hoods to run square to the comm instead?

Thanks for any info!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

dont know exactly...but what i did was just charge up a battery run at one setting for about 2 min, pull back in change to different timing and run again, and then just keep doing that till u get a good idea at which the performance is best and stick with it...hope it gives u a bit of an idea of what to do if all else fails....
Old 08-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

By increasing the timing is by turing the endbell clockwise.By doing so,from my experince,you should have an overall increase in power,rpm & torque.Any way if you're running 1/10 touring cars,usually torque & power is more important(well thats how I feel).You should also tune the motor to suit the track you're running on.

Regarding your hood alighment tool.Mine is also what you describe your's to be.But mine fits tight.I suggest getting a new one would be good.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Ok.......... first off....... counter clockwise increases timing. (This is assuming you hold the can in your hand with the timing marks facing you) Increasing the timing will give you more power throughout the powerband. Lower timing will decrease ampdraw and give more bottom end. Typically most people run 12 deg of timing as a standard margin.

Timing increases ampdraw and heat. So it is a balance of what you gain versus what you loose.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to play around with it a bit and see where I like it and where my motor likes it too.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Just like to add.

Those hood alignment tools that go straight through both hoods dont take into account the way the brush will move when the comm starts turning. they move opposite ways.

0.5mm or so each.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Ok.......... first off....... counter clockwise increases timing. (This is assuming you hold the can in your hand with the timing marks facing you) Increasing the timing will give you more power throughout the powerband. Lower timing will decrease ampdraw and give more bottom end. Typically most people run 12 deg of timing as a standard margin.

Timing increases ampdraw and heat. So it is a balance of what you gain versus what you loose.

Jeff
that right u tell him fellow team member counter clock wise i guess he meant that way