R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Best F1?

Ok everyone! What do you all think is the best F1 and why? What is a good starting kit for someone?.........what's the most durable and the easiest to set up?
Cuz Big and Important Titles and 2 lines of sponsors are way cool
Shaun B22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun B22 View Post
Ok everyone! What do you all think is the best F1 and why? What is a good starting kit for someone?.........what's the most durable and the easiest to set up?
I would go with Serpent, but perhaps I'm biased. Tamiya has some nice F1 cars as well.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun B22 View Post
Well that depends...are you going to be racing or just parking lot bashing? If racing what rules does your club use? 180mm wide? 190mm wide? 200mm wide? Do they use foam tires or rubber?

Probably the most versatile to fit any of those scenarios and one of if not the least expensive F1 is the Speed Passion SP-1. Its a pretty darn good car and no more or less durable than any other F1 out there. And it comes with the stuff you would find on a more expensive kit like the aluminum left and right rear pod, aluminum diff hubs, and carbon fiber chassis...for a lot less money.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Come on guys keep this going......

Last edited by Shaun B22; 08-04-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Bump
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo 13 View Post
I would go with Serpent, but perhaps I'm biased. Tamiya has some nice F1 cars as well.
+1 on the SERPENT but SERPENT drivers are biased
But it also depends on what you are doing as said playing bashing racing
- FGX Cheap for the newby

-Tamiya there like sheep they are every where, you could go to a butcher and get a part

- Speed Passion good quality F1

-VBC maybe to complex for the newby

- Yokomo another quality F1

- Team Saxon is the support there

- Xray is it out yet and will it be released I'm unsure

Of late there are so many

Things to consider

- What is the local parts supply

- For newbies with setup if you get something that is different where will your support come from

- Pick a brand that offers different front widths to be legal no matter where you are in the F1 WORLD

- Foam or Rubber what is legal in your area

- Road or Carpet 2 completely different forms of racing in regards to grip etc

- Will the F1 you buy need another $400 on top to make it competitive

- How often is the company making a new model, it is a shitte if you get a brand and 3 weeks later a new model comes out just more you need to work out

- Stick with a well known brand

In the end it is up to the person and there likes and dislikes, Best opinion I can give see whats running at your local track see how they run, and if it wins sunday for god sake dont buy on monday He may of been an expert driver and the F1 will not be the same in your hands seen it time and time again.

Just my thoughts and are not written in stone.

What ever is bought enjoy it
Thanks to -SERPENT AUSTRALIA - SERPENT - SRX8 - SRX8E - SRX2 SCT SRX-2 - SRX2 RM - SRX2 ST - SRX4 - SERPENT F110 - WALTER R/C Hobby - AKA Aust - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC - PLAIG BEARINGS - HOBBYWING
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Tech Addict

OK, I have a Tamiya Road wizard, re release Tyrrell P34 6 wheel, F104, Speed Passion, 3Racing FGX and F113, F104 V2 Pro that I converted into Exotek F1R2 and Serpent F110.

The Speed passion is great value for money, decent quality, haven't raced it though.
The F104V2 Pro was my first attempt at racing F1, did a few races before the conversion. Even with very little F1 experience there was a very noticable difference.
But for the price of the tamiya kit + the exotek parts, just not worth it in my opinion, unless you really want one.
The Serpent i'm quite happy with and would be my pick. Until the xray comes out.

But F1 is probably more tyre and skill specific than any other class, I don't think car choice is that critical.
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a Serpent F110 and a VBC lightingF.
Both cars are good.
For the VBC camber and caster is with blocks, so more easy to set up
The serpent camber and caster is done with 2 links, so it's a little harder to setup up the same each side
And with the serpent, if you hit something the caster changes very easy.

I would just go for parts support, and look wath other local guys drive.
But i would chose between the serpent or VBC
stofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Starting to see a pattern here
Thanks to -SERPENT AUSTRALIA - SERPENT - SRX8 - SRX8E - SRX2 SCT SRX-2 - SRX2 RM - SRX2 ST - SRX4 - SERPENT F110 - WALTER R/C Hobby - AKA Aust - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC - PLAIG BEARINGS - HOBBYWING
Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for Serpent and VBC

F1 is growing slowly in south Germany. I got myself a F104v2 two years ago. My friends now came up with Serpent and VBC. In comparison they can go much faster into the corner and need less brake.

The only downside on these two cars is, that they got a designflaw each. The Serpent needs the aluminium camberlink bulkhead as the plastic one will not last two crashs; and the VBC kingpins break very easily. So you have to get yourself a touring car shock shaft and convert the front suspension. Other than that both are great cars right out of the box!

I for myself wait for the Xray F1 (I think it will come out for the carpet season)
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
+1 for Serpent and VBC

F1 is growing slowly in south Germany. I got myself a F104v2 two years ago. My friends now came up with Serpent and VBC. In comparison they can go much faster into the corner and need less brake.

The only downside on these two cars is, that they got a designflaw each. The Serpent needs the aluminium camberlink bulkhead as the plastic one will not last two crashs; and the VBC kingpins break very easily. So you have to get yourself a touring car shock shaft and convert the front suspension. Other than that both are great cars right out of the box!

I for myself wait for the Xray F1 (I think it will come out for the carpet season)
Agreed on both points but you can lengthen the SERPENT bulk head holes as I did before the Aluminium one came out it is the write up I did

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/images/...f110_build.pdf

Things I did to make it more reliable for the standard racer

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/images/...t_update_1.pdf

Also started with the FGX and then the F113 write ups on both

FGX Extensive write up to much really
http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...26-3racing-fgx

f113 http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...3-3racing-f113
Old 08-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Fgx has a weak front and you need exotek everything to make it good. Plus no compatibility with f104 rims.
Never seen a competitive serpent at any event I have been too.
Tamiya f104 needs the exotek front as it has a weak front.
There are some hopups needed for the sp1 apparently but I do not have first hand experience.

Have a look at the TOP rebel rf01 if your rules let you. It has a lot of adjustability and is well kited out of the box. Just change the front camber links to titanium something and it is very reliable.

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda View Post
There are some hopups needed for the sp1 apparently but I do not have first hand experience.
Not really. The only hopup I did for mine initially was a clamping left side hub and I did that because I didn't like the way SP widens the rear for 190mm...The hopup wasn't really needed...more of a personal preference. If you want to run on the narrowest setting there are some modifications you need to do...using the hopup parts instead is easier but not necessary.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #14
Tech Regular

---Never seen a competitive serpent at any event I have been too---.

Seeing that no Top (no pun intended ) drivers in Australia drive it and I am DEFINITELY not one of them, this is true, in EUROPE it seems to be the other way?? but everyone has there own ideas and opinions on things, and that is what this thread is about.

The Top racing F1 chassis is one of the best as well, but as mentioned is this car legal where you are with its front end?? and they have got some pretty fast drivers here in Oz behind the wheel, car is stable and fast without question, actually forgot to mention it in my first post .

I dont discredit any chassis out there, and never will. Every F1 out there has its flaws, make of them what you will. SERPENT is no different in this area and has been reported in my write ups and not trying to make more than it is.

In the end it is a FORD or GMH (HOLDEN) thing. Like I said buy what you will and enjoy it and have fun driving it that is what it is all about FUN.

Lets see where this goes from here
Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

TRF101 is in my opinion the best. On our track it's by far the most stable and by far the fastest F1.... The front end of the SP F1 is to flexy, the Top's can't match the corner speed of the TRF101 and the Serpents are too fragile... We race 200mm, foam, ESC blinky, SP 21,5 turns or Hobbywing 21,5.
Johnson40 is offline   Reply With Quote