R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

the SP1 also has carbon reinforced front end parts and alum camber mount and alum servo mounts as options. those make it MUCH stiffer, but in my experience, I own an SP-1, the stiff parts are good on carpet and the flexy parts offer much more steering on Asphalt.

My top two F1's:
VBC lightningF
SP-1

the comment above about VBC being complicated is about the flash not the lightningf.

I have owned every current F1 except the Yokomo
Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I won't compare because I will obviously come off biased, but the VBC LightningF is a great kit. The one flaw in the kingpins is being addressed by us as well as TuningHaus.

As far as parts support, we are working on getting dealers throughout the US. For now if your local dealer does not sell VBC you can get VBC parts and kits directly though us at www.vbcracingusa.com

LightningF
http://vbcracingusa.com/store/lightn...ormula-car-kit

LightningF parts:
http://vbcracingusa.com/store/parts/lightning-f
Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have an FGX and a F104-V2, about a month ago I got the WRC F-ONE 14 and I have to say this car is simply amazing.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have the Serpent F110. Best F1 I have ever had. Brilliant car. I had tamiya in the past but prefer my Serpent for many reasons. As long as you have the front block in Alu the car is pretty much bullet proof as well!
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
I have the Serpent F110. Best F1 I have ever had. Brilliant car. I had tamiya in the past but prefer my Serpent for many reasons. As long as you have the front block in Alu the car is pretty much bullet proof as well!
Curious as to what you prefer with the serpent, also which model Tamiya did you run?

I am new to F1 and wanted something easy to work on, inexpensive for parts and of course having parts readily available and went with the Tamiya F104. I am not a fax of the screw set and plastic rear motor pod but overall I like the car.

If I was not concerned about money and wanted top performance, I would consider the VBC cars..lots of people at my track running them. The Speed Passion is also a great car which a few guys are running.
Photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The VBC Lighting seems to be a great deal compared to the F104V2 because the VBC has all the hop up parts in the kit that you would have to buy separate with the F104V2 and the kits are priced in the same scale.....if I remember correctly. The research that I have done supports that the easiest F1 to tune is any T-plate design after that by the looks of things they all have very similar designs, with the exception of adjustable front ends that can make things a bit tricky to keep tuned. I think the lightning design would be the best of all worlds......having replaceable camber blocks may help in keeping your camber set to where you want it for a longer period of time ( hopefully until you change it ) where as turnbuckles have been known to move now and then ( from what I have seen ). I am currently running a Tamiya F104v1 with and Exotek frontend, Pit rubber and Exotek 3mm wheels. The car is a dream to drive....simple and it works......for me I like to spend more time doing laps than tuning.....anyway GREAT POST GUYS keep it going......with WCICS picking up F1 this up an coming season all this info should help any new drivers to get into the class......as well as anywhere else in the world.
Cuz Big and Important Titles and 2 lines of sponsors are way cool
Shaun B22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Fenix Racing Suzu-ka 2014

for me is better F1 Chassis
Easy to drive
Very Durable
Constantly Development
in Italy is always on podium at Nats and consistently in the top 10 at Euro Touring Series
for info [email protected]
or visit our page on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/179154528917011/
Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 3Racing FGX which is a good car to start off with, then I got Tamiya F104 Pro V2 and found it more durable. The Serpent is a good car but guys I know have found the rear drive shaft to be weak. The TOP F1 car is pretty good as well.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
I have a 3Racing FGX which is a good car to start off with, then I got Tamiya F104 Pro V2 and found it more durable. The Serpent is a good car but guys I know have found the rear drive shaft to be weak. The TOP F1 car is pretty good as well.
It seems that is a problem with a lot of F1's there are upgrades for all of them personally never had a problem, in every brand F1 thread this problem pops up, SERPENT, TAMIYA, SP, and even the TOP ( if you read there threads ) to thin or the aluminium does not seem to hold set screws as well as steel, or even bending seems to be the dilemma, this is what I have been reading.
Thanks to -SERPENT AUSTRALIA - SERPENT - SRX8 - SRX8E - SRX2 SCT SRX-2 - SRX2 RM - SRX2 ST - SRX4 - SERPENT F110 - WALTER R/C Hobby - AKA Aust - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC - PLAIG BEARINGS - HOBBYWING
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have a Tamiya F103, 104, 104x1, an Exotek F1R, and an old 3racing F109 but none compares to my Street Jam SJF01.

The rear suspension gives it near touring car handling using Pit Shimizu or Ride R1 tires. The front suspension is identical with the SP F1 so caster and camber are adjustable. The front arms are also sturdier than the Tamiya's.
TWM Katana - Zeta Horten BV38 - Freewing Pandora
cocojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Is the YOKOMO any good?

Adelaide RC Team Driver
www.adelaiderc.com.au
JR Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've got a 3Racing F109 which is a great chassis for 200mm width. Too bad it's been discontinued for so long.
longuylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTMONKEY View Post
It seems that is a problem with a lot of F1's there are upgrades for all of them personally never had a problem, in every brand F1 thread this problem pops up, SERPENT, TAMIYA, SP, and even the TOP ( if you read there threads ) to thin or the aluminium does not seem to hold set screws as well as steel, or even bending seems to be the dilemma, this is what I have been reading.
Interesting, I never bent a shaft on my f104, but I only upgraded to the carbon shaft because it's lighter then the standard shaft. One of the guys I know that has a Serpent f1 and has gone through 3 shafts, but I have bent a shaft on my Speed Passion LM-1.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTMONKEY View Post
Quote:
Interesting, I never bent a shaft on my f104, but I only upgraded to the carbon shaft because it's lighter then the standard shaft. One of the guys I know that has a Serpent f1 and has gone through 3 shafts, but I have bent a shaft on my Speed Passion LM-1.
Haven't had any issue bending the rear axle on my SP-1 either with the stock axle.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
I mentioned the SERPENT as well, I dont discredit any brand when I say things are happening to an F1, if it happens to the car I drive I dont glorify it by not mentioning it, all the problems I came across with the SERPENT F1 I have documented in my write ups for all to read, even my sponsors. As said I have had no bent shafts on mine but others around the world have, and if someone has bent 3 shafts (no matter the brand of F1) well he needs to slow down or stop crashing maybe
All the bent shafts I have seen on F1 cars have also been in crashes whether being small or big crashes it is not just because they bend while driving
IF THERE WAS A BULLET PROOF F1 WE ALL WOULD USING IT
Thanks to -SERPENT AUSTRALIA - SERPENT - SRX8 - SRX8E - SRX2 SCT SRX-2 - SRX2 RM - SRX2 ST - SRX4 - SERPENT F110 - WALTER R/C Hobby - AKA Aust - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC - PLAIG BEARINGS - HOBBYWING
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote