R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default discharging whilst packs on a tray???

hey,

just a quick question-

ive got an INDI Activator equalizing tray, i know its not the newest but its all ive got at the moment (a new one is on the list lol)

what i wanted to know is, if ive got a pack on the tray, can i discharge it as a whole pack @20amp on my charger whilst its equalizing???

the globes are only like 0.35 amp or something and i just wanted it to get down a bit faster... but will this hurt the pack/charger/ or tray by doing so???

i discharge to 5.4 before i tray... but it takes forever... but i dont wanna damage the pack by going lower on my charger

your help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Hi,

I've done it before, it's not big deal on a regular tray. I wouldn't do it on anything like a Novak smart tray though.... but then again I wouldn't buy a Novak smart tray.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO it's not worth the risk of damage to the trey, or possibly reversing a cell since the cut off of the trey may be inhibited by the charger pulling excessive voltage thru......from 5.4 volts (.9 per cell) a charger continuing to discharge @ 20 amps can drop the voltage dangerously fast twords zero........just not worth it .....the last thing you want is a equalization trey that from that point, you might not be able to trust it's cut off on high dollar packs

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Hi,

Let me qualify a little as joe has a good point. I would not discharge past 1.0v per cell. But this is standard when I discharge a whole pack in any situation. thanks Joe.

I do equalize my GP's to zero volts on the day before I race (or the day of the race). Don't do this with IB's though unles you are happy with losing 60 seconds or more of run time.

Chris

Last edited by crimson eagle; 08-27-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I wouldnt do that. Youre cells might reverse very easily. The equalizer wont do anything if you are discharging the whole pack.

If you want to speed things up u can use a bulb discharger connected to ONLY 1 of the cells. U should read the voltage while u do that.
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Itchy,

That is why you only discharge to 1.0v per cell, any lower and you risk cell reversal.

Chris

PS I edited my previous post to say equalize to 0v rather than discharge.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Itchy,

That is why you only discharge to 1.0v per cell, any lower and you risk cell reversal.
Not sure what u mean... Anyways, if you discharge cell by cell they wont reverse. Its the system used by most 0v equalizers. They only reverse when current is aplied to the whole pack.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Current is applied to the whole pack when itis in the car racing around the track. Reversal occurs when one cell's capacity is dpleted and the other cells still have capacity left, this usually only happens when the whole pack is almost completely discharged which is not the case when it is in the car unless you have a pack with serious problems. If you cut off the pack high amp discharge at 1v per cell (4v for a 4 cell pack 6v for a 6 cell pack) then the chance of cell reversal is very small if the pack is in good condition.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Tech Regular

i agree that using an equalizer and discharger is not a good ideia.

What i said is that if xray wants to speed up the equalization process he can use a simple bulb discharger and use it to only one of cells, one by one, till a determined voltage.
This would speed up the equalization and there's no risk of reversing if its aplied to only one cell.

Quote:
If you cut off the pack high amp discharge at 1v per cell (4v for a 4 cell pack 6v for a 6 cell pack) then the chance of cell reversal is very small if the pack is in good condition.
Sure, but the pack wouldnt be equalized. That wasnt xray question. He already has 5.4 [email protected] discharger. He was asking for a faster way to equalize.