R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Good On Road Basher

I searched and searched and couldn't find anything related so if i missed something im sorry.

Long story short im looking for an onroad basher. Looking for something reliable and with decent parts availability. I'm not afraid to order in parts so general north american part availability.

Since its onroad I would prefer to stay away from a carbon fiber chassis and would prefer to be able to use the stick packs I have. It wont see a ton of use so I would prefer a 1/10th scale to keep costs down.

I know you guys are mostly racers but hopefully a few people can take a minute to throw in some opinions. I'm an offroad guy and dont even know where to start for this.
Shawner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
DBM
Tech Addict

I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago. I ran one of my belt drive cars outdoors in an unprepped parking lot which resulted in damaged belts/pulleys, and a filthy car. I decided to get a dedicated parking lot basher at that point. After some research, I decide on the Associated TC4 due to it being common, cheap, and shaft drive.....no belts for rocks to get stuck in. It had a sturdy plastic tub chassis which protects the components, but unfortunately fills up with gravel.
The downside to the TC4 in my case, it's that it is assembled with sae hardware, not metric like my other two cars. The steering rack is a bit fragile, too. Order a spare if you buy the car. And aluminum front dogbones.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Do you find the tc4 has enough ground clearance? Where i live we have long winters so you find gravel on the road pretty well all year round. I know im probably asking too much out of an onroad but i would like one that didnt get hung up on small tiny rocks.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It depends on what you mean by 'bashing.' What I consider bashing is running my car out in the street in front of my house and I cant think of any onroad car I would subject to that torture... It might not be what you want to hear, but most onroad cars make bad bashers. An unprepared surface like a residential street or parking lot full of sand and gravel will tear a car apart and the unsealed drivetrain and low ground clearance make for a dust nightmare. If you have your heart set on using an actual onroad car, a TC4 Club Racer roller would be a good start but even it has an open chassis bottom and exposed gears. If you intend to bash on a more prepared surface such as a tennis court or somewhat clean area it would make a good candidate.

If I wanted to have a 'basher', I would probably buy something more off-road, like a rally car or buggy/truck.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
DBM
Tech Addict

I set the ground clearance to 8mm and it's been fine. The splitter on my body sweeps the bigger rocks out of the way. Ive been running my Spec-R S1 VTA car in the parking lot lately now that things are getting cleaned up, and it's chassis shows no damage from rocks, but I did have the rear belt come off from a rock getting under it again. I'll be running the TC4 again from now on.
Calgary, eh? Similar winters to ours here in Saskatoon. Brrrr.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Oh ok perfect, yeah so you know we're dealing with for winter lol. It's not like the roads are covered in gravel but there's always the odd rock and I don't want to get hung up because of a pebble. As for an off-road basher trust me, I have a bunch, just looking for something to run around the cul de sac. Ok I'll look in to the tc4 a bit morem I have a old best up one a buddy gave me but I doubt it would be worth getting running for how cheap a new kit is.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Team Associated Pro Rally
You can take it ANYWHERE!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Nothing beats a Tamiya Mini. Cheap, sturdy, lots of different bodies. Build it scale with a Porsche body which looks great. Options galore, no belts, no rocks in the gears, no shafts, build one in an afternoon or in a day or two.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

If you are just looking to bash try to get a Team Associated TC3. They are solid and hold up well with stick packs.

If you ever plan on racing I'd tell you to get an Xray as they are a premier TC in onroad racing.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
It depends on what you mean by 'bashing.' What I consider bashing is running my car out in the street in front of my house and I cant think of any onroad car I would subject to that torture... It might not be what you want to hear, but most onroad cars make bad bashers. An unprepared surface like a residential street or parking lot full of sand and gravel will tear a car apart and the unsealed drivetrain and low ground clearance make for a dust nightmare. If you have your heart set on using an actual onroad car, a TC4 Club Racer roller would be a good start but even it has an open chassis bottom and exposed gears. If you intend to bash on a more prepared surface such as a tennis court or somewhat clean area it would make a good candidate.

If I wanted to have a 'basher', I would probably buy something more off-road, like a rally car or buggy/truck.
+1

Even on the cleanest looking road, an onroad car is not your best bet. I have run my mod touring car on my street before, briefly just to show a friend, but my street has so much traffic during the day that there is almost zero dust on it. Even then it has very little traction. Can basically just do a short speed run, turn around and come back. If I ever feel like just zipping around for a bit, my 4wd buggy works infinitely better than my TCs.

Onroad cars are awesome on a properly prepared track, but are not ideal for anything else.

If your heart is set on a road car to bash with, go for a rally car, preferably with an enclosed drivetrain. The one Rick Howart posted looks quite good. He might be a tiny bit biased, but that really would be a wise choice I would also consider the Losi TEN Rally-X, though it costs a little more and the drive line is exposed.

Last edited by locked; 07-04-2014 at 08:05 PM.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

You suggest it well,actually the same situation also occurred with me and its not an major issue so like you my uncle guides me well about it and also help me.So i am out from it.Thanks God,.
Durbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Xv01 pro is amazing!
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Tech Master

As above, the xv01 is a fantastic multipurpose chassis. It's better than the tc4 on a track, it's a good drifter and its also a good rally car. Easily the pick of the bunch for an onroad chassis for bashing. (Plus much more).
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My on road bashers are a 1/10 HPI Sprint 2, and 2 Traxxas Rally's, one is converted to a GT8. The Traxxas Rallys are said to be 1/10, but are really 1/8 in scale as a road car. They work well in many different surfaces. They are sealed sealed drive trains with water proof electronics, as is the HPI, however the HPI is belt drive, as such I had to get Tough Belts to prolong belt life.

Traxxas Rally, set-up of road/rally use

Rally/GT8 setup for pure on road use