Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A. >

2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
It's a bigger deal than you think for some. If you're one of the top drivers there is no doubt where you're going to race. Same for the newer slower drivers. But as someone who has won the D main at one of these big events, that puts me dab smack in the middle of the field of 60-70.

So what do I do? Do I run Sportsman and risk not having any fun or do I run at the back of the top 35 and challenge myself. My goal is to finish in the top 30 or C main. Can't do that if I run Sportsman...
My apologies. I was commenting more on the fact that we're 2 weeks away from this race and talking about format changes. The format is set. Its not how I would have done it, but it will work, and that's how it is and lets go racing.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Or here is an idea....

Run everyone as one class, but at sign in let the eligible "sportsman" drivers claim this. An "s" could appear after thier name on the results, Then run the 60+ drivers together for the entire event. Once the mains are done and final results figured, go down the list and hand out the sportsman awards in the order they finish. ( for example, if the top sportsman driver was 3rd in the b, then the next sportsman driver won the c, then the next was 4th in the c, those would be your podium for the sportsman class)

That way everyone runs together, all 60 drivers are national points eligible, and sportsman guys can race with the pro guys of their speed while still being recognized for their own achievements without having to split it up into 2 groups.

This make sense? I think it's the best and most fair way to handle this situation.

Otherwise guys sitting in the low 20s may try to sand bag and get to 31 so that can be awarded a "first place in sportsman" instead of 8th in the pro c.
There are 35 entries in Pro now. So there will be a D main in Pro.

Do you really think a top 30 driver (overall) would really sandbag to get a trophy in Sportsman? I guess that thought had never even occurred to me.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There are 35 entries in Pro now. So there will be a D main in Pro.

Do you really think a top 30 driver (overall) would really sandbag to get a trophy in Sportsman? I guess that thought had never even occurred to me.
17.5 TC is gonna be a blast!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You do realize how the regular system works right? After one qualifier, you're running with people real close to your ability for the REST OF THE EVENT. You'd have the exact same amount of fun EITHER WAY.

And frankly, that was the beauty of the 1 minute qualifier. It was a great pre-sorter in so many ways. If you were an A-sort driver you could go for it or play it safe. If you went for it and had a problem, you had to work your way back up the ladder. If you were an last-sort driver, you went directly there. 2nd best drama of the weekend.
Yes, I am aware of how it works. I raced last year. I am also aware that sometimes those upper level drivers have a bad qualifier and end up on the track with no driving s.o.bs like me... I am also aware at how they act when they are stuck in that pack. I know this very well because it happened last year. I am also very aware what it was like when I saw the talent level and equipment level that I was up against after driving 7 hours to get there. Some of us are out to earn bragging rights and higher levels of sponsorship. Some of us are just glad to have a day away from the office. There is definitely a difference between "us" and "them". I appreciate Myron for realizing there is a difference, in spite of the jabs he is taking for it, and giving the uss of the world a chance to put a trophy on that desk when we have to go back to the office. ( just hit me....maybe some of you are afraid to race a c main and not be able to say " yeah...I was in the c but I still beat 30 people". News flash...trust me on this one....Beating people like me is certainly nothing to brag about!)
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

We will be trackside with parts available for the racers. If you need anything, please let us know and we can have it there. The Alabama guys are ready to have some fun!

R1 Wurks Motors and Lipos
Gravity RC GT Tires
HPI VTA Wheels and Tires
SpeedKingz Gription and Bearing Oil
Associated Onroad Parts
64P Spurs and Pinions
TQ Sensor Wires
Xray Parts
Novak Motors and ECS's

www.speedkingzracing.com

Southern Nats Trackside Special

$35- Full set of VTA Wheels and Tires

Thanks
James
Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Correct me if I'm wrong (yeah, like I REALLY need to say that!), but I thought that Sportsman was for unsponsored drivers.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Correct me if I'm wrong (yeah, like I REALLY need to say that!), but I thought that Sportsman was for unsponsored drivers.
per myron's original post:

Pro VTA:
Sponsored drivers of any level, incl hobby shop and track owners, or you have made the A-main at any National level RC event incl ROAR Nats, Vegas,Birds,Cleveland,Summit Nats,Scale Nats, or Southern Nats.

Sportsman VTA:
No sponsors at any level,incl track and shop owners, never made the A-main at National level events, 90% out of pocket racers(wifey,gifts,ect make up the other 10%..lol)
Old 08-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NutDriver
That's not what it is turning out to be.

35 of the 65 are signed up for Pro.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spider004
We will be trackside with parts available for the racers. If you need anything, please let us know and we can have it there. The Alabama guys are ready to have some fun!

R1 Wurks Motors and Lipos
Gravity RC GT Tires
HPI VTA Wheels and Tires
SpeedKingz Gription and Bearing Oil
Associated Onroad Parts
64P Spurs and Pinions
TQ Sensor Wires
Xray Parts
Novak Motors and

Southern Nats Trackside Special

$35- Full set of VTA Wheels and Tires

Thanks
James
tc 4 5 6 parts would be great
Old 09-01-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by starrx
tc 4 5 6 parts would be great
Got all of them loaded up and ready to go!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Only 16 more days until the USVTA Southern Nats and Jacks BBQ, Fat Moe's, Gruhn Guitars, Tootsies, Loveless Café, Dirla and Myron. Can't wait!

chuck
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok. Tell me about these things. Usually when I come to the southern nationals I spend all my time at the track or my pit space. I felt lucky just to find a Burger king a few miles away.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

if your from out of town you really, really need to hit up Jack's BBQ!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkhess
if your from out of town you really, really need to hit up Jack's BBQ!!!!

AMEN to that ! Probably the best you'll ever have.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Where is Jack's BBQ from the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.