R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Default advice on good 1/8 gt class car

So my budget is $600 for a 1/8 gt class car I rather get electric over nitro even though I have very little idea of what it involves new to the sport. I will be reading as I live in south Florida and have a couple tracks withing a 3 hr radius . Now some advice on some good cars would help me a lot I was thinking of the serpent cobra gte RTR I'm not sure if the regular version of the cobra gte ( non RTR) is better but I don't know anything about the motor or battery's or servos or even radios so I am walking into this blind. A little helping hand of advice would be well considered .
ojr511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 802
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

What track are you planning on running? I am going to get a gt for the homestead track. You have a few options that are within your budget. The serpent is a very good car, but is somewhat difficult to maintain as there is limited room. The ofnas are good, but the parts are not made as we'll as the serpent. Parts are cheap though...There is a Kyosho ready to run that I have not seen. There is a team c car too. I have just recently converted a buggy and also ordered an ofna. If the class gets going I may upgrade.... If u r somewhat close to homestead stop by on Saturday from 10 to 6. I hope to be there between 10-4 ish... There are a few other guys that have elec. too... We just had a big race there....so much fun... I would not purchase anything until u visit us....u will save in the long run....
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NC , USA
Posts: 16
Default

I recommend heading over to the "rookie zone" on this forum for some GR8 reading

SouthFloridaApp has some good advice . Just hanging around the track and making some new friends while you are learning is a GR8 way to learn . I have a Serpent 960 and have had tons of different types and classes of cars over the years but one thing that I stick to is , I ALWAYS build them from kits . It helps me when things go wrong and / or maintenance is need . I already know the car inside and out .
brokenspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,580
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

The OFNA Ultra GTP2E is under $200 for the 80% built car. Has great parts support. I picked up the single speed conversion kit from RC-Monster.com to be able to run a smaller than stock spur and larger pinions. I'm currently geared 46/20 and with the smaller spur can go up to a 24 pinion. I'm not a top speed junkie, so I did a lot of research on race gearing for this chassis. I went with a Hobbywing 150A ESC and 2250KV motor and the car will run 4S Lipos. I have less than $600 in the car the way it sits with 2 spare batteries, almost ready to race (waiting on springs yet). I've added Sweep 45 EXP premounted with V2 inserts for $28 a pair to try also. I ran the car last year with the box stock setup, 51/17 gearing and the tires that came with out in the street after doing a base setup of the chassis and installing the electronics. It was pretty quick then, but now it's just about ready. I had to shelve it to get ready for fall indoor season last year.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,664
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

The eGT class is a blast to drive. As much as I like the sound and watching nitro racing it can be tough to maintain a nitro car.

The Serpent is an excellent car at that price point. Another option is the Speed Power E801GT at $189 pre-built. You just add your electronics. A few of us are running them at my local track. http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/1-8-ep-pro-onroad-e801gt/

From what I have seen on the track all the cars perform very similar. One thing that is very fast and handles great are those GT8 Light conversions. I think they use Slash 4x4 as there baseline. They are so light they moved very well on the track. The whole GT8 class as a whole is still growing so most places just mix everything together.
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,580
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
The eGT class is a blast to drive. As much as I like the sound and watching nitro racing it can be tough to maintain a nitro car.

The Serpent is an excellent car at that price point. Another option is the Speed Power E801GT at $189 pre-built. You just add your electronics. A few of us are running them at my local track. http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/1-8-ep-pro-onroad-e801gt/

From what I have seen on the track all the cars perform very similar. One thing that is very fast and handles great are those GT8 Light conversions. I think they use Slash 4x4 as there baseline. They are so light they moved very well on the track. The whole GT8 class as a whole is still growing so most places just mix everything together.
That Speedpower looks very nice! I'm a year late for it. It would fit right in my collection with the SP-1 and 2 LM-1s. I might have to twist my arm a little.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 802
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
The eGT class is a blast to drive. As much as I like the sound and watching nitro racing it can be tough to maintain a nitro car.

The Serpent is an excellent car at that price point. Another option is the Speed Power E801GT at $189 pre-built. You just add your electronics. A few of us are running them at my local track. http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/1-8-ep-pro-onroad-e801gt/

From what I have seen on the track all the cars perform very similar. One thing that is very fast and handles great are those GT8 Light conversions. I think they use Slash 4x4 as there baseline. They are so light they moved very well on the track. The whole GT8 class as a whole is still growing so most places just mix everything together.
Generally speaking how does a slash 4x4 lcg handle compared to heavier cars? Does one have the same adjustments available for a slash as others... I e droop, toe in etc?

Why do I believe that a 6.5 lb buggy or short course conversion or similar weight on road format will be the best solution. Lighter equals better run time and probably less heat with appropriate equipment than a 8 lb plus car... Thoughts? FYI the latter cars will still be plenty durable... Think tekno or losi sct...
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Default

testing post.
ojr511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Default

ok i am finally able to reply to my own post.
now i did some calculations but i dont know what ecs or motor or even a good radio would be so i found the cobra rtr a better choice what do you feel?
ojr511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,664
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
Generally speaking how does a slash 4x4 lcg handle compared to heavier cars? Does one have the same adjustments available for a slash as others... I e droop, toe in etc?

Why do I believe that a 6.5 lb buggy or short course conversion or similar weight on road format will be the best solution. Lighter equals better run time and probably less heat with appropriate equipment than a 8 lb plus car... Thoughts? FYI the latter cars will still be plenty durable... Think tekno or losi sct...
The lighter Slash based cars handle better and probably have the capability to go around the track easier. The lighter weight is a huge factor, but you still need to wheel it. With the 1/8 buggy based cars you are generally running the bigger motors/ESC like a 2400kv is pretty common. The Slash style conversions can run 550 4x4 SC type motors with 1/10 style ESCs.

For me the idea of converting and piecing together a car is not that appealing. So something like our Speed Power E801GT, Serpent GTe, and others that are dedicated chassis make more sense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
That Speedpower looks very nice! I'm a year late for it. It would fit right in my collection with the SP-1 and 2 LM-1s. I might have to twist my arm a little.
It's never too late :P


Quote:
Originally Posted by ojr511 View Post
ok i am finally able to reply to my own post.
now i did some calculations but i dont know what ecs or motor or even a good radio would be so i found the cobra rtr a better choice what do you feel?
If you want an out of the box solution that car is solid for sure.
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net