R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Roger/Others - I'd recommend contacting John Tag, Express motors come tuned and are ready to race, and you won't find a better price...
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D
Having tried the C2, Element, Reedy, and most recently the Atlas, no doubts, its the ATLAS. Keep in mind, the Atlas might not show as good numbers on a dyno as the others, but on the track the motor flat out rips!
Actually, on my Robi, the Atlas-based motors ARE looking strong on the dyno(just as much as they do ontrack), I haven't tried one myself, but a friend used them before & asked me to test some for him. On the Robi, their powerband looked VERY similar to the Reedy Quad-Mag(which is to say, excellent torque but still has decent rpm, though not as high as a C2, obviously, & power right up there with the best I've tested), & ontrack his car always had a surplus of rip, so at least on my dyno, the numbers seemed to match up, & I'm pretty impressed(just wish they were easy to get in Oklahoma).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Another point about the Atlas, you might have to gear up. I ended up running five more teeth on the pinion from my C2 gearing. I ran double fans and the motor didn't get over heated.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

We had the atlas 19t in the uk for about 2 years now
very good motor ,build quality on these motor are better then epic ones

at local track gearing is like this with 19t motors
Atlas 4.8
c2 5.3
quad 5.1
v2 5.0

i don`t like the v2 coz it`s not user friendly , soldering is a right pain in the ar*@

c2 is a good all rounder if your lost with gearing this motor will help you out

quad (crap)

Atlas gearing got to be right for this baby 2-3 pinion bigger then a c2 based jobbie
if gearing out either above or below it`s just pants
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The atlas is a torq motor like the reedy and needs to be geared as such. For example on on of the tracks I race at typical gear ratios for a c2 are in the 6.4-6.2 range and reedys around 5.5-5.4.

With my current dyno test profile I see a peak RPM on the reedy about 29-30K but the C2s peak around 37-38K. For comparison a good orion element with the v2 endbell tops out at 29K, element with laydown brushes around 35K and the atlas is in the 33K range. Peak RPM under load by itslef means nothing but in regards to power but it is a good indicator of how to motor "A" will need to be geared compared to motor "B".

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have heard that the Brits hate the Reedy Quad19. However, it is the dominant 19T Sedan Motor in the US right now. It must be the type of tracks you run on. I think a lot of them are big speed tracks not 60mm PVC pipe mazes like we run on...lol!

The C2 is good as long as you don't get it too hot. If you do the magnets lose a ton of power and you will need to get them zapped.I seem to like the Orion best of all now. It seems to run cooler and is not as amp hungry as the QM19. My best 19T run this year was with a Orion V2 19T. It needed a scary high gear ratio to go fast (5.15:1) on a 140x70 tight track but the comm and brushes looked perfect after the run.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I have heard that the Brits hate the Reedy Quad19.
I guess its the english blood in me then....LOL I'm not a fan of mine

I've used an old Reedy Silver Can Spec 19t for like 4 or 5 straight weeks once and it ripped! It got soft at about week 4. Good motor

Roger: YGPM
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:27 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

one thing that is good about the atlas
it has better mags then epic ones
they with stand heat better & hold on to there strength longer aswell

quads

EA & Eddie0 have suggested i take the quads for over here but just like the v2 19t pants

just like to say
we are a small island , but we have BIG tracks
Old 09-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

Mr Jolly:

Sorry you don't like the Reedy Quad Magnet 19t. we like them over here even on our smaller carpet tracks (36x68) they run strong. I think yuo just need to play with gearing. (we run foam)
AdrainM would know more about outdoors/rubber tires.(lucky guy lives in Fla)
the Team Express are also some of the fastest (if not the) in our box. the C2 based motors really rip. I haven't tried the Atlas based19t yet but hope to soon. the lay down Element motors seem to like gear but fall of really fast. worked on some this past weekend.
the only V2 19t I saw was FAST...... REALLY FAST. I didn't get a chance to run it. and I''m always looking for one to play with. same with the Checkpoint 19t when they come out.

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:49 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXLB
Hi,

Mr Jolly:

Sorry you don't like the Reedy Quad Magnet 19t. we like them over here even on our smaller carpet tracks (36x68) they run strong. I think yuo just need to play with gearing. (we run foam)
AdrainM would know more about outdoors/rubber tires.(lucky guy lives in Fla)
the Team Express are also some of the fastest (if not the) in our box. the C2 based motors really rip. I haven't tried the Atlas based19t yet but hope to soon. the lay down Element motors seem to like gear but fall of really fast. worked on some this past weekend.
the only V2 19t I saw was FAST...... REALLY FAST. I didn't get a chance to run it. and I''m always looking for one to play with. same with the Checkpoint 19t when they come out.

Thanks
it`s not perssonaly
most customers are using the atlas & c2
quads is a no no

Eddie0 has said in the staes the quad mag is very successfull .but over here i`m afriad it`s not
you get a hand full of guy`s doing well with them ,but on the whole most don`t bother

trying them out

done that ,been there got a couple form eddie0 over a year ago
nope ,
we have a outdoor track just down the road open all the time for track testing ,we know the gearing off by heart for certain motors
i tyied it , farmed it out to others to try to no avail
even the CML reedy sponsered guy`s over use c2`s to go fast, coz they can`t get the quads to be that quick

any way
each to thier own
my list is
atlas
c2
quad
v2 (coz i hate these things to solder onto ,need a bloody mig welder)
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, since you mentioned running on a big track, then I can understand why you might have more trouble getting what you want from a Reedy Quad Mag. The torque they make does suit them well to medium to small tracks, but even on a medium one they have to be geared quite tall(I'd usually be pushing the edge of how big a pinion & how small a spur I could run to get the ratios I'd need), so on a bigger one, you would be better off with a high-rpm motor, & for that, the C2 is still the motor to have(& you just have to be careful to gear it right to prevent it from overheating).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys

i just wondered if you could help me i have raced 19 turn a couple of times now and have been using a team orion element motor and i was thinking about getting a chamelion 2 and just wanted to know do i gear my motor higher or lower than what i gear me orion motor at the moment ????

Benro
Benro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You will need to go 4 to 5 teeth smaller on the pinion.

I run my Orion 19 laydown brush motors at 5.40 (Final Drive) and my C2s at 6.25.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #29
Tech Rookie

Thanks alot for that i have just realized it is a reedy quad mag motor that i will need as i run on a medium to tight track could someone please tell me what gearing i should start off with and also what the best brush and spring combo to use

Ben
Benro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to The Junior

By far the Atlas no matter what type of track ur on it will outperform any other 19 on the market.
JRC
The Junior is offline   Reply With Quote