R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

I have to say one interesting point about the ICE vs other chargers.

I recently acquired a Pro-Trak. I really like to use temperature to help me find the correct peak detect for my cells. The first charge I set the protrak to .03. The things were barely 100 degrees I now need to run a .05 peak to get them in the 115-120 range, which is where I like them. I've gone from getting 4150-4250 in my IB3800's to 4400-4500, all at the same temperature.

Not saying anything bad about the ICE, but found this interesting as someone earlier mentioned the "charge type" the CTX and other units such as the Pro-Trak deliver versus the ICE.

Even with this in mind, my ICE is not going anywhere! I love having it to charge my transmitter, break in motors, run my lathe in, etc. Gotta have the backlight mod though, it makes the charger SO much better!
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #122
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMSRacing
I have to say one interesting point about the ICE vs other chargers.

I recently acquired a Pro-Trak. I really like to use temperature to help me find the correct peak detect for my cells. The first charge I set the protrak to .03. The things were barely 100 degrees I now need to run a .05 peak to get them in the 115-120 range, which is where I like them. I've gone from getting 4150-4250 in my IB3800's to 4400-4500, all at the same temperature.

Not saying anything bad about the ICE, but found this interesting as someone earlier mentioned the "charge type" the CTX and other units such as the Pro-Trak deliver versus the ICE.

Even with this in mind, my ICE is not going anywhere! I love having it to charge my transmitter, break in motors, run my lathe in, etc. Gotta have the backlight mod though, it makes the charger SO much better!
what did u use to measure the temp? were u using the ice temp probe? they are never accurate and slow..
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #123
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

XMSracing- what settings are you using on your ice? My 3800's consistantly charge to at least 4400 on my ice(s). I currently have my ices set at .04v (room temperature) for the peak, and am charging at 6 amps. If the weather changes, the peak setting may increase or decrease.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

On the ICE I charge at a .04 peak.

I used the ICE to monitor the temps for both the Pro-Trak and the ICE. Considering I've had my battery matcher stand next to me and measure the temp of the batteries with a infared temp reader and it was only off by 1 degree, I'd say its accurate enough. I will agree that its slow though, but if you have it on the pack for the whole charge it has more then enough time to come up with the pack.

Again, I'm not bashing the ICE - I just thought it was interesting. I use the Pro-Trak for all Charging/Discharging/Cycling and the ICE as a backup charger if my brother is racing with me or a motor break in/comm power base. The information that you can get from the Pro-Trak unit is absolutely insane.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Is it true Much More is about to release a new charger or an updated cell master?
SOuthernFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #126
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOuthernFRIED
Is it true Much More is about to release a new charger or an updated cell master?
MuchMore is set to release two new chargers this year...but neither will replace the Cell Master.
One will be a specialized Lipo-only charger, and the other will be a charger made for nitro racing (Lipo, receiver pack, starter box, etc).
Old 02-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

cool thanks
SOuthernFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #128
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
I use an Ice and some of the so called big guns use the Cell Master. Well I have no lack of performance from my cells and no problems with the charger at all. For the price the Ice has no equals. Don't let the Duratrax Name fool you into thinking it is not a good top of the line charger. I just can't see spending the extra 100 bucks when I get the same performance for 100 bucks.
since you have a huge budget...

find this from japan

its the Yokomo Ice ;-) hehe
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote