Wiki Posts
Search

DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by XingXing
yeah i do.

i find the CTX is faster to use, when in a hurry, easier to push the one button. 4 times quickly. its peak detection is very sensitive, so you cannot move the battery/wires at all otherwise the detect will go off.

the ice has more features, more profiles. but only 1 step-charge profile

basically if u r a serious racer who can afford a seperate motor lathe then go buy the ctx, but if you r on a budget and only want single charger with alot of functions then go the ice.
Just FYI, on the CM you can also hold down the > button to start the charge...you'll hear it beep twice and then give the melody for starting the charge.

To prevent the CM from being too sensitive in the early stages of a std linear charge, you can activate the long lockout by holding down < after the charge starts (the time period is adjustable in the main setup menu - 10min default).
CTX profiles are locked from delta peak detect in the first two stages (temp and capacity cuts still active), so there is no need to set a lockout.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Any idea when the Much More products will be back in stock?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Just FYI, on the CM you can also hold down the > button to start the charge...you'll hear it beep twice and then give the melody for starting the charge.

To prevent the CM from being too sensitive in the early stages of a std linear charge, you can activate the long lockout by holding down < after the charge starts (the time period is adjustable in the main setup menu - 10min default).
CTX profiles are locked from delta peak detect in the first two stages (temp and capacity cuts still active), so there is no need to set a lockout.

yeah i did say can hold down one button for few seconds

and yes can peak lockout, but once out of the 10minute zone or in the 3rd stage of ctx-mode, if you move the battery/wires then it will flase peak
Old 02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XingXing
yeah i did say can hold down one button for few seconds

and yes can peak lockout, but once out of the 10minute zone or in the 3rd stage of ctx-mode, if you move the battery/wires then it will flase peak
unless you short the cells with your finger...
Old 02-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

I have tried many chargers throughout my years of racing. Before buying the Cell Masters I had a Turbo 35 GFX. I sold thre Turbo 35 GFX and bought Cell Masters instead because the batteries came off the charger cooler and felt better on the track. I have also tried the Duratrax ICE I say hands down if you are a racer Cell Master are the way to go.

I was also at Reedy Race of Champions in 2005 with Team Much More and Masami asked to use one and he stopped dumping after the switch.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOuthernFRIED
Any idea when the Much More products will be back in stock?
We received some items today...more items are expected to arrive later in the week (possibly tomorrow).
Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Cool, thanks for the reply
Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamescam
It is also 2x the price of the ICE at $259!
It's $250 Australian Dollars, which is $185 USD.

I've used this unit, and the ICE, they're simular, except as I already mentioned, this unit has 20A discharge, and backlit screen.... nicer. (oh and the case isnt as ugly, and it doesnt have the cheap-feel rotary dial that the ICE does)..

Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default charger for serious driver

Hi guys,

Let me explain our concept when we designed CTX Cell master charger.

1.Small foot print and light weight, good shape on the pit table.

2.Pure linear current by FET(If you can see big coil inside your charger , it is not linear charger, we call it as DC-DC down(or up) type charger)

3.Linear type needs big heat sink or high RPM fans because FETs make much heat.(Turbo 35, Protrak, Cell master)

4.Sensitive Peak detection by 16bit AD.
Compare to 8bit, 16bit resolution can read out more more exact voltage.
1/2x2x2 (8bit) : 1/2x2x2x2(16bit) = 256times accurate
This is CM's main weapon

5.Easy UI, for quick using.

6.Charger for race
Wires are coming from back and forth. long output wires(60cm) for repeaking batteries on your car.
LCD back lit for indoor race.

7.Small LCD (16x2) has no graphic but tell you everything you need for charging. The Arrow next to voltage tells you many things(False peaking, charging, negative deltapeaking).

8.Provides same ambient by optional warming tray, cooling fan stand.

We do not OEM for other company.
Advantege charger and ICE are made by different company in Korea.

Though Cell master does not have motor function, we have CTX-M Motor Master(Checker) .

For your information,
If you set Auto start timer then push&hold >button more than 3seconds,
You can apply Longlock out charge with auto timer.

For example:
set auto timer 30:00
then push > 3second,
You will see key icon on the display
Charge will start in 30 min.

I've never tested ICE charger before but it seems having many functions than Cell master.

Our concept goes to race,
I think its more convenient if we use seperated charger and motor checker at races.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default Cell Master

It is very hard to state in plain words, why Cell Master is good charger.
My best suggestion is ask someone who have Cell master to charge your battery once. after you try the pack that has been charged with Cell Master I am sure you can tell the diffrence in the power, punch and runtime.

this way you definately, know why it is worth buying Cell Master over the other charger.

if there is anybody who are seriously wants to give a test. please email me
I will try to locate closiest MuchMore dealer around your area and charge the packs to feel the diffrence.
You won't believe how much diffrence that a good charger can make.

[email protected]

thanks

James
Old 02-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I love my Cell-Master and Motor-Master. One reason I dumped my Turbo 35 even though it had a motor run feature is that I often found my self wanting to break in a motor or cut a com while my packs were charging. Now I can charge, run motors, and discharge all at the same time. Another benefit is the smaller foot print. At larger races, pit space is usually designated and space is a premium. Much More has a done a great job with their product. I first came across these guys at the Hobby Vision Show in Las Vegas in 2004. I was a bit skeptical, but now I have nothing but good things to say. Ryan and James have both been very helpful and frequent this board enough to answer all your questions. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamMuchMore
It is very hard to state in plain words, why Cell Master is good charger.
My best suggestion is ask someone who have Cell master to charge your battery once. after you try the pack that has been charged with Cell Master I am sure you can tell the diffrence in the power, punch and runtime.

this way you definately, know why it is worth buying Cell Master over the other charger.

if there is anybody who are seriously wants to give a test. please email me
I will try to locate closiest MuchMore dealer around your area and charge the packs to feel the diffrence.
You won't believe how much diffrence that a good charger can make.

[email protected]

thanks

James
Hi! I love my much more stuff!! We love all your stuff down here in PI!!

Question: in the box of the cell master it says it can charge up to 3 cells of LiPolymer? Why up to 3 cells only?
Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lem2
Hi! I love my much more stuff!! We love all your stuff down here in PI!!

Question: in the box of the cell master it says it can charge up to 3 cells of LiPolymer? Why up to 3 cells only?
Thanks!!
Because each cell is 3.7v, so 3 cells would be 11.1v.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Rookie

For all those wondering, there is no change in amperage for five seconds of every minute on the ice. In fact it is quite linear. The only change throughout the whole charge was from 5.98a to 5.97, which was nearing the end of the charge when the battery reached around 10v(a cheap battery was used for testing purposes).
Attached Thumbnails DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX-ice6amps.jpg  
Old 02-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I recently picked up a CTX and while I think it is an awesome charger I won't be giving up my ICE anytime soon. The CTX is an awesome charger but the ICE is just as good plus it has the ability to break in a motor or run a lathe (found myself in a bind today because I needed to break in a motor and I left my ICE at home).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.