R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #91
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
how did you measure the voltage? by reading the data from the charger? if so that is not accurate. because the the voltage readout is different from charger to charger and even from each charger of the same brand. it all depends on how well the charger was calibrated.
I used the CTX-d to measure the voltage for both chargers, so the same unit was measuring all of the data from both packs, the only thing i got from each charger was the amount of mAh they put into each pack, and I know there will be a slight discrepancy between the two, but that was the only way i could gather that data
6g72tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #92
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
when u dc the packs from the ice to the ctx, there is time in between (disconnect/connect). but when u charge from the ctx, it automatically dc it when its done charging.. therefore you get more runtime and voltage because it reads it right after the charge...

how about try the same method execpt this time, use the ice to read the results. or even better, charge with both charger and use a volt meter RIGHT AFTER they peak.

I am not using the ctx to discharge, i am using the ctx-d which is the new much more 30A pulse discharging unit, it is completely separate from the ctx charger, i know the names are confusing.

Link to CTX-D discharger
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=446&id=5874

Link to CTX charger
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=446&id=5033

Sorry about the confusion...
Old 02-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #93
Tech Adept

Quote:
I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the step charging. Nexus pointed out that some ppl feel their packs are flat after step charging on the ICE. It might be difficult to do an accurate test as the ICE does a 4 step charge while the CTX does a 3 step charge.
I actually am planning to do this, but i will just use three steps on the ICE. My plan is to use the HARA profile, which is 10mV peak detect, 7A to 2500mAh, .2A to 2520mAh (this might have to change as i think you can only step in 100mAh increments on the ICE), 6A till peak detect.

I will post those results when done.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #94
Tech Adept

does anyone else have both chargers?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #95
Tech Regular

yeah i do.

i find the CTX is faster to use, when in a hurry, easier to push the one button. 4 times quickly. its peak detection is very sensitive, so you cannot move the battery/wires at all otherwise the detect will go off.

the ice has more features, more profiles. but only 1 step-charge profile

basically if u r a serious racer who can afford a seperate motor lathe then go buy the ctx, but if you r on a budget and only want single charger with alot of functions then go the ice.
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
the ice has more features, more profiles. but only 1 step-charge profile
That's not true...you can make it charge however you want, step-wise. You can move the spacing and the current level to whatever you like for all four steps.

Oh yeah...push one button twice and the ICE is off and running.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #97
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
That's not true...you can make it charge however you want, step-wise. You can move the spacing and the current level to whatever you like for all four steps.

Oh yeah...push one button twice and the ICE is off and running.

well deeeer

the ice has only 1 step profile (obviosly you can change )

the ctx has 3 that you can change and store

e.g step 3300
step 3600
step 3800.

oh and the ice you have to push and hold, and you have to look at the screen upclose to read it. with the ice you HAVE to read the screen coz sometimes it is on the discharge mode if it was dishcarge previosly.

but the ctx just push button 4 times without looking and off it goes. or hold down button once and go.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #98
Tech Master

Quote:
well deeeer

the ice has only 1 step profile (obviosly you can change )

the ctx has 3 that you can change and store

e.g step 3300
step 3600
step 3800.

oh and the ice you have to push and hold, and you have to look at the screen upclose to read it. with the ice you HAVE to read the screen coz sometimes it is on the discharge mode if it was dishcarge previosly.

but the ctx just push button 4 times without looking and off it goes. or hold down button once and go.
i cant beleive you B***H about pushing buttons..... whats so hard about it?
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 AM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
i cant beleive you B***H about pushing buttons..... whats so hard about it?
I guess it's worth the extra 80 bucks or so to only have to push one button four times, lol.

Too bad I got you beat though, I only have to push one button to charge with my T35.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Gimme a break...one of the guys at the track had a problem with his screen...accidentally broke it, no display whatsoever. He managed to use it all night without reading anything. I think you're trying too hard to prove your charger is bitchin'.

"Methinks he doth protest too much."

As far as the "profile" thing goes, it sounds to me like you need to choose your words more carefully or explain what you mean in a more complete way.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Seen the SJ Supernova Competition?

It's got the same kind of firmware in it as the Duratrax ICE, but a few more features..

one beaing, backlit display (no mods required)
20A discharge
temp sensor included in box...

unsure of other features....

Here is some pics

I have one, and love it.. has a cool case too..

more information here
http://www.ozshops.com/cgi-bin/RT_Resp.cgi?1.IL&mt=na&re=h&nt=dynamic&ta=sujsuper novacomp_detail::suj,d:sujsupernovacomp.txt,p:,s:, i:sujsupernovacomp.jpg,t:th_sujsupernovacomp.gif&i p={mt=da&it=n&ap=radio&co=catdetail&us=1139211217-12&kn=cat.cat-land-750-1414-902-002&}
Attached Thumbnails
DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX-sujsupernovacomp.jpg  
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #102
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Gimme a break...one of the guys at the track had a problem with his screen...accidentally broke it, no display whatsoever. He managed to use it all night without reading anything. I think you're trying too hard to prove your charger is bitchin'.

"Methinks he doth protest too much."

As far as the "profile" thing goes, it sounds to me like you need to choose your words more carefully or explain what you mean in a more complete way.
well if the last thing u done was charge then its ok not to look at the screen. but if it was disacharge then it will stay on the discahrge mode.

anyway, i am only giving my opinions on the advantages of either charger as i have both. in my opinion the ctx is easier/faster to use. not saying that the ice is hard though
Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #103
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Seen the SJ Supernova Competition?

It's got the same kind of firmware in it as the Duratrax ICE, but a few more features..

one beaing, backlit display (no mods required)
20A discharge
temp sensor included in box...
It is also 2x the price of the ICE at $259!
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 AM   #104
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

I picked up my Cell Master for 160. I also was between the ICE and the Much More unit. Ultimatly I witnessed one of my buddies ICE's have problems. I know its a small thing to sway me..but it did. I really wanted the CTX all along anyway. Personally I just liked the small simple/clean design of the CTX versus the kinda cheap lookin design of the ICE. Redo the Duratrax logo/layout sticker, get rid of the plastic dial and yellow buttons, give it a backlight and its a winner. Performance was really a faaaar second in my desicion making process. I mean come on guys?..its a charger; this sort of technology is nothing new. So in the end pick what you like and dont worry about defending it; the companies pay people good money to do that for them.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #105

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
First of all the CTX is the best charger for IB3800's hands down.
The boost charging method is awesome.
It really bring the cells up in punch and power unlike the ICE

Let me tell you why the ICE is going to be the charger of the future.

Todays Nimh batteries are pushed to the max in size and technology.
I don't really see the Nimh batteries getting that much more improvment in the future. Not going to happen!!

The ICE charges Lithium ion batteries...

Nimh batteries are going to go like the Nicad batteries.
I see the market shifting to Lithium ion batteries in the next 5 years...

There now you all know....
The same thing was said about brushless vs brushed motors. I have a feeling they wont die out so easy.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote