R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
The main difference between the MuchMore CM and a charger like the ICE is the super linear current offered by the Cell Master. What this means is that the CM has a pure and constant linear current. A charger such as the ICE will have a linear current something like 55-57 out of every 60 seconds.
mind xplaining this?
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #47
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodo1
mind xplaining this?
This relates to either the instability of the current output or the charging pattern all together. A charger can have a net output current 55 out of 60 seconds due to unstable amp current or pre-programmed charging patterns.

As Ryan Lee put it to me a while ago, "Above charging way can decrease temperature but can't expect punch." Then, to bring your cells up to temperature, you basically overcharge them. Things like less-than-optimal connections, LCD screens, cooling fans, etc can all cause charging current to fluctuate. To my knowledge, every stride possible was taken by MuchMore to make all of these factors seperate, very accurate entities. They go as far as including gold-plated alligator clips. The end result of all this is a more stable and accurate overall charge.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

I think Nexus did the best job so far by explaining the advantage of the CTX. Now, one can make a good decision which of these two is the better charger based on facts instead of vague, personal descriptions. Since I was considering buying an Ice or a CTX, I was interested in this thread. Right now, I'm sure I'll go for the Ice (or in my case, the Robitronic Overloader) and leave the 0,001mV difference for the ones with loads of money.

But that's just my opinion.

Greetz,
Mike
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Great explanation, Nexus...

I guess that's what makes the difference between most regular chargers and the MM as well, and explains when I use my APS I can see the current drop to 5.99A from 6.00A for a split second. It doesn't happen often, but as mentioned, maybe 95% of the time it's at an actual 6.00A.

For a guy like me, it's negligible, but for those who care, I guess it does make a difference. At least it's a world better than my old Intellipeak Digital, or Dynamite Vision..

But really, any charger retailing $130+ these days can respectably charge batteries, you can't really go wrong. Pulsar, APS, ICE, Pitbull, CM and others have their own differences and features, it's just up to our minds whether it's worth the extra cash for the pricier ones..

Does twice the price mean twice the charger? Would you take 2 CM's over a GFX? 2 ICEs (at least according to some prices on eBay ) over a CM?

But, for the price, and the level where most of us are at, the ICE will be plenty.. save up that cash for some better batteries, motors, or tires, where the bigger differences are made.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:18 AM   #50
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I guess my question now is does the ICE come with the necessary equipment to do temp peak charging? If not how much more is that? What sites are you guys looking at that list the ICE chargers?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

The ICE doesn't come with the sensor first off, but look it up on eBay and you'll find package deals with the ICE and the sensor for $110US. Otherwise, the temp sensor on its own is probably just 9 or 10 bucks..
Old 08-31-2005, 10:48 AM   #52
Tech Rookie

ICE, MM Cell Master and Orion Advantage are all made in Korea. They use the same RISC microcontroller manufactured by ATMEL.

If you add EL backlit in ICE which is shown in attachment. No more cons on ICE.
Attached Thumbnails
DURATRAX ICE vs MUCH MORE CTX-img_0521.jpg  
rc_cowboy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #53
Tech Rookie

Just found some interesting feature. I can show the voltage of car battery and the engine temperature in the "Data View" screen of ICE
rc_cowboy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #54
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
This relates to either the instability of the current output or the charging pattern all together. A charger can have a net output current 55 out of 60 seconds due to unstable amp current or pre-programmed charging patterns.

As Ryan Lee put it to me a while ago, "Above charging way can decrease temperature but can't expect punch." Then, to bring your cells up to temperature, you basically overcharge them. Things like less-than-optimal connections, LCD screens, cooling fans, etc can all cause charging current to fluctuate. To my knowledge, every stride possible was taken by MuchMore to make all of these factors seperate, very accurate entities. They go as far as including gold-plated alligator clips. The end result of all this is a more stable and accurate overall charge.

ok thats what i thought you meant but i just wanted to be clear. thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #55
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_cowboy2003
ICE, MM Cell Master and Orion Advantage are all made in Korea. They use the same RISC microcontroller manufactured by ATMEL.

If you add EL backlit in ICE which is shown in attachment. No more cons on ICE.
same country of production and same microcontroller doesnt mean a whole bunch. build quality could be completley different and the programming of the microcontroller could also be completely different. i mean windows and linux both run on x86 and they are completely diff!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Its been about 4 months since this thread was up, I wonder if anyone has more information on these two chargers, and if it really doeas make a difference with the linear charge current (read through thread to understand).

I am sure allot more guys have had both theses chargers and I am hoping for some new feedback. As i am going to my lhs tonight to either buy a ICE, or a MM CTX
6g72tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No offense, but I could care less about the CTX's "Super Linear charging." Most of it is all advertising hype. Not saying that it isn't true (which by the way, I do agree with the pure current concept described by NexusRacing) however, to 99% of racers, it won't make a difference for them, especially if they are on a budget anyways. No reason to spend almost $100 more on a charger when you can get everything and a bit more for less. And spend that $100 on a really nice pack.

Think about it, if Hara, Surikarn, and all them used the ICE, people would be saying it's better than the CTX.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #58
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I have had my ICE since they came out. It does alot of extras most chargers don't do. Since I race I use it to charge my race packs, break in motors and run my lathe. I can also step charge if I want and use the temp probe option as well. One thing that to me sets it asside from any charger in its price range is it can not only charge NIMH, but regular nicads and the new Lipoly's on the market. Also can actually graph the battery charge and discharge graph avaialble to. Also can store 10 different setups in the charger for different applications. For the money no other charger can really match all it can do for the price.

I have a T-35 Stealth and a T-30 and they charge no better overall and can't do Lipos. I have used the Pulsars, Quasars, and Pit Bulls and none of them can do what the ICE does and all cost 50 to 75 bucks more.

If you want the most bang for the dollar and are a budget the ICE is the way to go. I don't know of any other charger made for this low cost that does everything the ICE can do. Alot of 200 plus dollar chargers don't do what the ICE does. I also fly R/C planes and Heli's so the Lipo feature is great as it saved me buying a special charger to charge my Lipo packs. Another 75 to 100 bucks saved for me.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #59
Tech Adept

Has anyone gone from a ctx to a ice, or vice versa, did you notice any difference? It would really be nice to hear from someone that has or had both.
6g72tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Can i do my bit now !!

ICE it is so good yokomo have relabled it to be there own charger , so this means if it`s good enough for yokomo then it`s good enough for me
ctx thingy 130
ICE 80 money talks
this charger does all
linear,pulse,flex
4 step
better looking
take the duratrax lable off put a yokomo one on
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote