Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New here, need some help >

New here, need some help

New here, need some help

Old 03-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New here, need some help

Hi all. I'm new to the RC scene. I decided I wanted to give it a shot and have some fun. I purchased the Tamiya TB04 standard chassis. I know that this is an obsolete chassis but I figured it could be upgraded if I really wanted to and it was fairly cheap at 200 bucks.

Anyway I purchased the following electronics to get this bad boy going:

Reedy Blackbox 800Z ESC
Sonic 540-M3 Spec Brushless Motor System (17.5T)
Savox SC-1257TG Standard Digital "Super Speed" Titanium Gear Servo
Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R2004GF Receiver
2x Venom 2S LiPo 25C Hardcase Battery Pack w/Universal Connector (7.4V/5000mAh)

So everything was going alright until I started messing around with the electronics. I soldered the ESC to the Motor according to the letters. The soldering was a pain in the ass mainly because I'm not really good at it.
I connect up the ESC and the receiver and connect the battery. The ESC started blinking and such so I attempted to calibrate but I don't think I did it right. But now I'm getting a really strange issue. When I pull the trigger on the transmitter, it does nothing. When I push the brake, the motor goes full speed accelerate. I tried to reset the ESC to default but it isn't helping. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Change the throttle option on the radio to reverse and re-calibrate the speed control. Or if the radio throttle is reverse change it to normal and re-calibrate.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

OK that worked so now at least accelerate it working but the reverse option only intermittently works.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Glad to hear you got yourself a kit! My cousin purchased that kit and was happy with it after upgrading to the Exotek CF chassis. Look into it if you're trying to do a little club racing. I know theyre offering an aluminum chassis now.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Just finished the chassis

Finished the chassis. Forward and break are working fine. Reverse is a mystery.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You might want to check your ESC settings. It could be your ESC is just set on fwd/brake only.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

are you going to race, or just have some fun? If you are racing, you really don't want reverse. most places don't allow reverse during a race, causes too many problems.

Otherwise, depending on settings (as stated above), the reverse might need a second trigger push to activate - what i mean is that you brake with the first push and then either hold it in reverse position or push it again to get it to reverse.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikel33
are you going to race, or just have some fun? If you are racing, you really don't want reverse. most places don't allow reverse during a race, causes too many problems.

Otherwise, depending on settings (as stated above), the reverse might need a second trigger push to activate - what i mean is that you brake with the first push and then either hold it in reverse position or push it again to get it to reverse.
I'm just going to turn reverse off. I am planning on racing.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

I had an LRP esc years ago, it required a double hit of the trigger to go in reverse. I found it annoying and there was no way to remove that.

Yeah, sounds like you mentioned your going to race this car. If that is the case you most likely won't even be allowed to run reverse. Our club and most forbid it. You'll not need it racing ...turn marshals will help you out if you need reverse.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Modern ESCs usually have up to 3 different modes: Forward/Brake, Forward/Brake/Reverse and Forward/Reverse.

1) is usually mandatory for racing (no reverse allowed)
2) is nice for general practice (especially when there are no marshals around) or for bashing, etc.
3) is mostly used for crawlers