Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST >

2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You know before all you pan car guy's blow a diff on this spec tire thing, maybe you should try it. You'll probably like it, especially when the racing is even closer and your not dropping $1000 on tires for a big race.

Either way, if it happens you'll run it so why bitch about it.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
You know before all you pan car guy's blow a diff on this spec tire thing, maybe you should try it. You'll probably like it, especially when the racing is even closer and your not dropping $1000 on tires for a big race.

Either way, if it happens you'll run it so why bitch about it.
Would have to have multiple brands as spec. Ulti wheels fit on the Tamiya RM01, CRC and BSR do not.

Panda
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I was asked to copy/paste this to the iic thread.... so I did. Since the spec tire conversation came up, I payed attention. The last day or so, I really started to think about it. I am going to take the initiative and put my money where my mouth is. Lets see how this goes....

I have just ordered in some spec 12 tires to test. With any luck, I will have them by the H30 race on the 29th. There's no point in speculating what's going to work and what won't until it's bolted on and tried. I ordered 5 sets, so anyone else that wants to give them a shot, just let me know! I just looked at my schedule board and see that I will miss the CC on the 1st. That stinks. My points challenge is going to take a giant kick in the groin. Oh well. If anyone is sitting on a Heafty Sack of tires, it's me! I could supply the track for weeks and not run out. That said, if anyone is low/out and wants to get their roller rolling, gimme a shout.

After this past IIC, I would welcome a spec 12 tire in spec class. Lets say I bought $200 of mixed tires and then had to test sort through them. With track time limited to 2 full term runs a day with possibly a single 2 minute run at 7am, track time is a premium. I personally tested 4 combos on 9 total runs in super stock 12. If I expected 3 runs per tire set at $20-25/set, that would be $60-75. Plus one set comes with the entry fee. So now really only $40-50 additional and I didn't spend that $200. Hmmmm....easy math?

Not saying that spec tires are the future for our club racing, but ask the tc guys how they like the spec tires. Are they happier not having to shop for a variety of tires? Is it too much of a pain the ass to make "this" brand work? Or can we simply say: it's the same for everyone. I don't know. I hear a little gripe about one brand of tc tire, but it only comes from the drivers who refuse to put the time into getting that tire right. My limited time racing tc, I loved the fact I didn't need to sort out various tires. It's the same for wgt. Guys go irate over Jaco vs BSR wheel with their diameters and offsets. It's really no big deal. You just adjust and not think about it. After all, it's the same for everybody.

And one last comment: would you like to race against the guy that has access to unlimited tire resources? Or would you like to know that you are racing on the same tire that TQ is on or the guy that you just beat because you came up with a better set up then he did?

I am not lobbying to change rules for this season, so like Todd says: smokem if you got em.

Think on it. Come see me next week.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
When we used to fly to the big events, sometimes taking the trophy back on the airplane wasn't possible. We would peel the plaque off, and give the trophy to one of the kids at the race. Probably not too many kids around the race, but just saying, might not have been as malicious as you think.

I did see Dosick do a totally different thing to a trophy in Cleveland once though, lol.
The trophies from Skewes from Race Rewards that Scotty used for many years fit very nice in your luggage on the way home! :-)
Old 10-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
The trophies from Skewes from Race Rewards that Scotty used for many years fit very nice in your luggage on the way home! :-)
I hand carried mines in both my fists on the plane regardless of my hand carry and personal bag.

Cant wait until next year, I had a blast!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Another thought on spec tires for 1/12 tires.
I true my tires down to the point of only being able to get one run on them before it drops my ride height below the mininum. I could adjust the ride height after every run, but this is a lot of work. This means that I used 9 sets of tires. Would we be able to buy that many?
Also, I pay $15-$18 per set. Would they be sold by the race for around that price?
A third thing is that I flew this year. My checked bag checked in at 49.5lbs and the airline had a 50 lb limit. How would I get a tire truer to the track? And don't say I could borrow somebody else's because almost everybody else that flew would be doing the same thing. This could make traveling a big pain. It would also mean a ton of people outside on check-in monday truing tires.

With all this being said, I have no problem with a spec motor or even a spec max gear ration, like the Spec GT class has.

thanks,
tim
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
I was asked to copy/paste this to the iic thread.... so I did. Since the spec tire conversation came up, I payed attention. The last day or so, I really started to think about it. I am going to take the initiative and put my money where my mouth is. Lets see how this goes....

I have just ordered in some spec 12 tires to test. With any luck, I will have them by the H30 race on the 29th. There's no point in speculating what's going to work and what won't until it's bolted on and tried. I ordered 5 sets, so anyone else that wants to give them a shot, just let me know! I just looked at my schedule board and see that I will miss the CC on the 1st. That stinks. My points challenge is going to take a giant kick in the groin. Oh well. If anyone is sitting on a Heafty Sack of tires, it's me! I could supply the track for weeks and not run out. That said, if anyone is low/out and wants to get their roller rolling, gimme a shout.

After this past IIC, I would welcome a spec 12 tire in spec class. Lets say I bought $200 of mixed tires and then had to test sort through them. With track time limited to 2 full term runs a day with possibly a single 2 minute run at 7am, track time is a premium. I personally tested 4 combos on 9 total runs in super stock 12. If I expected 3 runs per tire set at $20-25/set, that would be $60-75. Plus one set comes with the entry fee. So now really only $40-50 additional and I didn't spend that $200. Hmmmm....easy math?

Not saying that spec tires are the future for our club racing, but ask the tc guys how they like the spec tires. Are they happier not having to shop for a variety of tires? Is it too much of a pain the ass to make "this" brand work? Or can we simply say: it's the same for everyone. I don't know. I hear a little gripe about one brand of tc tire, but it only comes from the drivers who refuse to put the time into getting that tire right. My limited time racing tc, I loved the fact I didn't need to sort out various tires. It's the same for wgt. Guys go irate over Jaco vs BSR wheel with their diameters and offsets. It's really no big deal. You just adjust and not think about it. After all, it's the same for everybody.

And one last comment: would you like to race against the guy that has access to unlimited tire resources? Or would you like to know that you are racing on the same tire that TQ is on or the guy that you just beat because you came up with a better set up then he did?

I am not lobbying to change rules for this season, so like Todd says: smokem if you got em.

Think on it. Come see me next week.
I ran the spec bsr tires about 2 months ago I was about a 10th slower. The handling was similar to magenta magenta. But I usually run mag pink on my 13.5 car. I dont think putting it in 17.5 would be a bad thing other then I get tires for less then what scotty would charge. I I run them 1 run and then use them for club race. So I save money that way.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

finally - a high level 1/12th scale racer with the willingness to approach the spec tire issue with an open mind. One who is willing to at least give the spec tire thing a try. I'll be keen to read Brian's comments and observations soon after he has run the spec tires a few times.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Before deciding, a couple questions to consider.

I know what compounds I used, but I wonder if the D or E main would benefit or not by using the most common choice from the A main? a tire choice would need to be fast (for the A), controllable (for the D/E) and last 8 minutes with SXT(for all) in the conditions that exist at IIC. I don't know if this exists or not, or a significant compromise is needed to satisfy more than 2 out of 3.

Another question is how Yokomo or other pod setups can adapt. Is it just a new diff drive hub and clamp hub? or does a fixed rear wheel offset eliminate some group of cars? if so, how many were in attendance?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

I am all for spec tires in 1/12 but please include modified as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Brian's "home" thread...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/northwes...30-a-1109.html

QUOTE=vafactor;13610479]finally - a high level 1/12th scale racer with the willingness to approach the spec tire issue with an open mind. One who is willing to at least give the spec tire thing a try. I'll be keen to read Brian's comments and observations soon after he has run the spec tires a ....
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm a lower main type of driver, particularly in 1/12 because I simply don't run 1/12 much at all. I would take a spec tire and be happy with it for sure. No more guessing, just have to work with diameter and sauce.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am all for spec tires in 1/12 but please include modified as well.
x2
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

X3
Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I cant see anything horrible about spec tires in spec classes in 1/12. That removes one huge variable, and cost in buying a ton of different tires for a race. Yes its a key tuning option 1/12 has had for ever... but if the wheels are cheap, then I cant see anything but positives for the class of small cars. Tune the car not the tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.