R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default motor timing question...

So this past weekend, my first time out really testing my VTA car (for extended run..ran it for about 15 mins compared to the 5-6 mins prior), noticed my 25.5 ballistic motor was super hot (4.0 FDR)...I didn't touch the esc but upon reducing the manual motor timing (was set at the 40 degree mark so i moved it down to 20) and hooking everything back up, ESC (Duratrax DE10) did not respond...Tried attaching the programming card and it read 'connection error' meaning the ESC probably fried...aren't these things supposed to have heat protection/detection? Pretty certain I had the setting set to ON. Just wondering what the issue could be (whether it be motor or esc) as I don't want to fry another ESC. No lights on the esc although when I plug it in, steering works...just no power lights/throttle response. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta03 tuner View Post
So this past weekend, my first time out really testing my VTA car (for extended run..ran it for about 15 mins compared to the 5-6 mins prior), noticed my 25.5 ballistic motor was super hot (4.0 FDR)...I didn't touch the esc but upon reducing the manual motor timing (was set at the 40 degree mark so i moved it down to 20) and hooking everything back up, ESC (Duratrax DE10) did not respond...Tried attaching the programming card and it read 'connection error' meaning the ESC probably fried...aren't these things supposed to have heat protection/detection? Pretty certain I had the setting set to ON. Just wondering what the issue could be (whether it be motor or esc) as I don't want to fry another ESC. No lights on the esc although when I plug it in, steering works...just no power lights/throttle response. Any ideas?
Sounds like a blown esc to me, did your drivetrain lock up anytime during your last run or was there any resistence keeping the wheels from spinning freely?
RC Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Tech Master

B4 condemning the ESC. Recalibrate The ESC. It probably lost calibration when connecting the program card.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Passion View Post
Sounds like a blown esc to me, did your drivetrain lock up anytime during your last run or was there any resistence keeping the wheels from spinning freely?
Negatory...everything was smooth as silk as it was a new kit with new bearings. I can only assume the gearing was too low for the chassis hence the heat and it somehow affected the ESC..no idea.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
B4 condemning the ESC. Recalibrate The ESC. It probably lost calibration when connecting the program card.
Can't recalibrate as it doesn't even light up...upon normal startup, it should hum a do-re-mi tune and beep with lights but when I hooked up a new pack, nothing lights up/no sound.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Tech Master

Changing the timing I would think it'll upset the Calibration. See what you are missing, cuz all manufacture calibrates differently. I'm not sure how your ESC calibrates, I'm more into Tekins and Novak ESC. If it overheats by gearing go to a lower pinion. Brushless motor runs better with a lower tooth pinion.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

That combo should not have overheated as long as the esc had zero timing. I would run the 25.5 Ballistic at 45 degrees timing with a 3.8 FDR for 15 minutes with out going over 145. I was also running about 30% drag brake in the car which produces heat in the motor. Your esc may be fried but there may be a problem with the motor also.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I had an issue once with I thought was a blown esc. It gave the tale tale signs of one being blown. It recalibrated and looked good but no go. So I bought a new one. Even the new one did the same thing. Turned out it was the battery that had gone bad. Installed a new battery and both esc's worked after that. Hope you figure it out.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Tech Master

4.0FDR is not too low for a 25.5T. The blinky 17.5T boys are running 3.3FDR in hot tropical weather here....

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Can't recalibrate as it doesn't even light up...upon normal startup, it should hum a do-re-mi tune and beep with lights but when I hooked up a new pack, nothing lights up/no sound.
Its been awhile since you and I had a response to this. You may have purchased a new ESC.

Of coarse you don't get a musical scale, cuz it lost its calibration. I've DL the DE10 manual, to get the idea of it, and reading your 1st post. The only thing you're change is the timing of motor, that may have messed up calibration up. One, you redo the calibration. Musical scale not there cuz it doesn't find Neutral position. Believe the you don't press and hold the on/off button long enough. Should take a second or more for the LED rocks to red or green.

Or Two, reset the timing to 40deg and see if its goes back to normal. That proves that the ESC is not calibrated correctly.

Good Luck!!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Its been awhile since you and I had a response to this. You may have purchased a new ESC.

Of coarse you don't get a musical scale, cuz it lost its calibration. I've DL the DE10 manual, to get the idea of it, and reading your 1st post. The only thing you're change is the timing of motor, that may have messed up calibration up. One, you redo the calibration. Musical scale not there cuz it doesn't find Neutral position. Believe the you don't press and hold the on/off button long enough. Should take a second or more for the LED rocks to red or green.

Or Two, reset the timing to 40deg and see if its goes back to normal. That proves that the ESC is not calibrated correctly.

Good Luck!!
Ordered a new esc already...this DE10 is toast...it doesn't respond to anything period...not sure what you mean about calibrating it as it won't even turn on...holding the calibration button does nothing regardless of me holding the button while i turn it on or anything...no lights/nada. No worries....Hope I have better luck with my next esc..bought a Trakpower ms-1.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Ordered a new esc already...this DE10 is toast...it doesn't respond to anything period...not sure what you mean about calibrating it as it won't even turn on...holding the calibration button does nothing regardless of me holding the button while i turn it on or anything...no lights/nada. No worries....Hope I have better luck with my next esc..bought a Trakpower ms-1.
Oh! You don't know what I mean Calibration. Calibration on all ESC, no matter manufactures. Trigger positions Neutral, Full throttle. Braking. Step 6 on the DE10 Manual. Since you ordered a new ESC just try these steps, Holding the power button on ESC for one second or more. My last post said you not getting Musical Scale, cuz it hasn't found Neutral position on your trigger. Pull out the manual and follow Step 6 to the 'T'. Just seeing red and green LED's seems like it want to take adjustment. Your first post you said you adjusted the timing on the bell housing. from 40deg to 20deg. 10deg difference can change the Calibration on the ESC. Well!! good Luck!!! I just wanted to let you know what Calibration of ESC is meant. Most important with brushless motors. Readjust your motor 20deg to 40deg see what it does. wont hurt!!! And make sure your batteries are charged.