Community
Wiki Posts
Search

general gear ratio question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Default general gear ratio question

hi, I know that when the gear ratio is small higher top speed is achieved. When gear ratio is big more initial speed is achieved. So how do i know that what kinda gearing is too high or too low for my P2K? should I gear it low? since it's more toruqy motor? I am running a TB-Evo now
Old 09-01-2001, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Your car should have come with gear ratio suggestions from Tamiya. Try them out first and track your run time and how hot the motor gets.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Gear ratio is calculated by: spur gear/pinion gear. So a bigger number means you will have quicker acceleration and slower top speed. Smaller number means you will have slower acceleration but higher top speed. The way to determine if you are geared too tall is by motor temperature. The more load you put on the motor by trying to achieve higher top speed the hotter the motor will run. If your motor is running to hot, drop your pinion gear by a tooth and check it again.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Tech Adept

is there any reference formula in calculating how tall you can go with gearing ??
Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Clawhammers
is there any reference formula in calculating how tall you can go with gearing ??
It's more physically how much room you have to fit your pinion / spur combo in the car and make a clean mesh.

Racing blinky you can go from low 3's to 6 depending on track size and conditions.

Just go with a ball park that others use and tune from there checking your motor heat.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This motor is an older "stock" brushed motor, yes? So circa 27t or so?

Originally Posted by Clawhammers
Most manufacturers will give FDR recommendations for their motors.

In the absence of that, this guide from Novak is a good start. Well, for brushless anyway.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
This motor is an older "stock" brushed motor, yes? So circa 27t or so?

In the absence of that, this guide from Novak is a good start. Well, for brushless anyway.
You are referring to the motor the OP asked about in a post 13 YEARS AGO? My guess is he probably figured out his gearing questions by looking them up on Altavista.com, with his 56k modem which he probably bought at Caldor's, travelling there is his brand new Saturn or Pontiac.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Qatmix
It's more physically how much room you have to fit your pinion / spur combo in the car and make a clean mesh.

Racing blinky you can go from low 3's to 6 depending on track size and conditions.

Just go with a ball park that others use and tune from there checking your motor heat.

@Qatmix and @Cplus

I see. Thanks a lot for your kind explanation.

It's a massive help for me.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
You are referring to the motor the OP asked about in a post 13 YEARS AGO? My guess is he probably figured out his gearing questions by looking them up on Altavista.com, with his 56k modem which he probably bought at Caldor's, travelling there is his brand new Saturn or Pontiac.
Oops!

I'm not the one that dug the thread up though!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oops!

I'm not the one that dug the thread up though!
no worries, I know you didn't bring it back to life. Its just the oldest thread that I've seen dug up on any site.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

To really answer the OP, you can gear the P2K motor anywhere from 5.8fdr to 6.2fdr , but it will only compete with brushless on a super tight carpet track... You will need the best fan possible, and time your run to 6Minutes only....