R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default TC4 HELP WITH STEEL DIFFS

So i have a tc4 i know its a little out of date but i bought the club racer to do speed runs and heard i needed to change my diffs to steel so i did the rear and yes i built it right replaced all the parts (bearings, rings, ect.) and it doesnt turn two different ways like its suppose to and it gets really hot and burns my rear transmission case to shreds. I rebuilt looking at the exploded view many times now and still no luck so do i need to buy another or change out the front to make it work?
Zombiekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

You need to buy some diff shims, and shim it correctly so it will not touch the diff case at all...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Will that solve the problem and can you give me a part number please I appreciate it
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Nevermind I got the part number but how do I know when its shim properly
Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Suspended

Talking

When it's shim properly, there will be a very little play between the diff gear and the pinion gear. Just enough play that you can see the two gears move away from each other... That will also stop the gears from stripping....
Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiekiller View Post
So i have a tc4 i know its a little out of date but i bought the club racer to do speed runs and heard i needed to change my diffs to steel so i did the rear and yes i built it right replaced all the parts (bearings, rings, ect.) and it doesnt turn two different ways like its suppose to and it gets really hot and burns my rear transmission case to shreds. I rebuilt looking at the exploded view many times now and still no luck so do i need to buy another or change out the front to make it work?
make sure you are building the metal diff using the metal diff instructions, they are not the same as the plastic diff, if your diff is not working properly then shims are not going to help you ... problem is somewhere else.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca.../3918_inst.pdf
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

yeah i built it off this manual but i could never get the diff ring that goes on top of the teeth on the big gear (6579) to fit because its seems to big and covers the teeth from the pinion gear connecting are the diff rings two differnt sizes? Thanks for all the ideas so far this is my first thread here.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Tech Addict

If you didnt buy the diff in a kit but in parts make sure you have the right part numbers, the plastic diff rings are different and will not fit.
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

How hard should it be to turn in two differnt directions because i can take two small screwdrivers and twist it in opposite directions but by hand its really hard to do
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiekiller View Post
How hard should it be to turn in two differnt directions because i can take two small screwdrivers and twist it in opposite directions but by hand its really hard to do
The output shafts should counter rotate very easy. I can tighten the diff all the way down and mine still turns. Make sure you have the right size diff balls and the rings are not just riding on the large gear. If you take the diff halves, center gear, diff balls and rings and slip them together, you should be able to feel the rotation of the diff balls with no sliding or scraping. Don't even put the spring, nut and bolt in. If that is working right, lube it up and now put in the bolt, spring and nut and tighten it until there is no play, but don't crank it all down just yet. Give the output shafts a turn and it should still feel smooth. Now adjust the diff. Now slide on the bearings and put it in the case. If it still feels like it's binding, take the front gear and shaft out and just hold the diff case together with the main axle in place and feel how easy or not so easy the output shafts spin without any diff action to check your output bearings. They should spin smoothly. If not, check your bearings. I can lay my diff parts together in the lower case and all spins nice and free with the front shaft in place. Make sure nothing is binding or rubbing inside the diff case itself. Once everything is moving right, snug it all back up and test. This is all fresh as I had to tear down my front diff case and swap the case itself out last night. All went back together well.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Post Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
make sure you are building the metal diff using the metal diff instructions, they are not the same as the plastic diff, if your diff is not working properly then shims are not going to help you ... problem is somewhere else.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca.../3918_inst.pdf
Made the same mistake, moparSRT is right. You will need to build according to these instructions.

You will need to purchase the correct diff rings, part no. ASC6579 and you'll need the correct locking nut which can be seen in this image.

Hope this helps.
Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

ok im going to take it completely apart and take a pic of everything i got and then take pictures of step by step to show how im putting in together and then reply if i am doing something wrong and i will do all the steps you have told me to do
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

my photos are too big
Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

I got it resized and this is mine main question does this ring belong here like it shows in the manual i havent installed it before because it goes over the teeth and it doesnt seem like thats right but i dont know if thats where it belongs and i will be posting more photos soon.
Attached Thumbnails
TC4 HELP WITH STEEL DIFFS-tc4-diff.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Suspended

Smile

No way it belongs there.... The rings are supposed to press against the balls only....