R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Giving drifting a try

If there is a drift specific page feel free to move this post.

I have a TA-04SS with some TRF hop ups (graphite lower chassis, cf top plate, TRF competition knuckles, ball front diff, f/r universals, spur holder, finned motor plate)

I have set up the basics for drifting but have yet to give the slide a try. Just wondering if there is anything else to look at. I live in the Boston area and haven't found anything about a drift club/track in my area, so I think it's just the parking lot for now.

I have a set of hard drift tires, just cheapies from eBay to try it out. The motor/power package is a D3.5/Duster 2 sport. The rear diff is a gear diff that I locked with hot glue. I can't remember the winds on the motor without pulling it to look. My radio is a 3PM FM so I have some tunability there. Battery packs are duratrax dtx 5000 flat packs so I have a descent run time to practice on. All my ni-cd batts sat for too long and are junk accept for a trinity rc-2000 that came back to life.

The car is set up from road courses with a little toe out on the front tires, and the camber is a degree or so of negative all around. I have the shocks set vertical to be a little stiffer and to give me parking lot ground clearance.

I also have a set of standard length TRF hard lower arms so I can make it into the standard length wheelbase with a new body if need be. I'm not sure if the short wheelbase is better or worse.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track to at least give it a try and feel out if it's something I like or not?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Tech Adept

sounds like a good base to start with. make sure all your camber and shock lengths are even. shock angles can be adjusted to suit once your up and running. jump on driftmission.com and check out the forums for more relevant info. enjoy
freakyfreakyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
I also have a set of standard length TRF hard lower arms so I can make it into the standard length wheelbase with a new body if need be. I'm not sure if the short wheelbase is better or worse.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track to at least give it a try and feel out if it's something I like or not?
Short wheelbase is better for drifting in my experience, especially for tight indoor tracks. I used to go to a local carpet drift meet, everyone was running HPI Sprint 2s and similar... but my little 210mm wheelbase car was infinitely better at drifting (more manageable too).

I love SWB btw... have a TA03R-S & Cup Racer.
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

try standing the front shocks up to give a more linear feel in the front and steering and lay the rears down to give a little more traction. With the hard cheap drift tires that are really slippy I find that having the car set up like this gives a nice neutral handling car. good at tight switchbacks, but also can hold a nice long drift too.

with that chassis, it might be beneficial to try and put some weights in the front of the car (say on the bumper) to give a more forward weight bias, which will give a car that is easier to slide around without hooking up.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Is there any benefit to running more than normal camber in the rear to adjust traction? I think it would reduce the contact patch at least for a little while until the tires wore in.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Tech Champion

As the car rolls it gives more contact patch to the tires. Thus, giving more rear traction in corners.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I'm talking about something around 10 degrees like you see the old supras drifting with. Riding on the inner edge of the tire only.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
I'm talking about something around 10 degrees like you see the old supras drifting with. Riding on the inner edge of the tire only.
It still does help with traction in the corners if the car is set up with loose suspension so the car rolls a lot.

Some of it is just for cosmetics though.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Default Drifting cars

I set up my old TC3 for Drifting , I have put a spool on the Rear and a diff in the Front. I replaced the front shock tower with a extra rear tower and put the shocks so they a perpendicular to the ground and with Green springs. Silver in the rear . I'm using a Speed Passions ESC with a 21.5 . It gets around the track pretty good . I have found that in drifting there are many ways to approach it
Lone Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote